× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 Router Random Disconnects

rax120_rax80
Apprentice

Re: RAX120 Router Random Disconnects

A similiar issue just happened to me. The RAX120 has been running for about 12 hours on .115 with no DNS issues. I go to login and it is giving me authentication failures. My admin password that worked last night after upgrading to .115 is not working. This isn't a fat finger, cuz it's copy and paste from a password DB. Attempting to use the default admin password doesn't work either. It sends me to the security questions prompt, and my answers that I know are correct won't let me in. Way to go Netgear. you broke the router's ability to serve up DNS requests and push a beta firmware as a solution that breaks your ability to auth to the switch.

I wonder if I can get my credit card to reverse the charge since I can't return this paper wieght back to Amazon?

Message 26 of 233
rax120_rax80
Apprentice

Wow... I just got in using the old default of many switches... For those who have the same issue wth auth just stops working using your previously functioning credentials, try username == admin and password == password. I'll continue to monitor the switch for DNS fails. 

This is still a sh!t show though. Netgear needs to do something to support their user basse beyond the 90 days of support. 

Message 27 of 233
HanzJ
Guide

Yeah I got in with admin/password.

I'm pulling the plug...Time of death, 1:35pm CST.

My router had been up since yesterday.  However, as I was reviewing the TP-Link Archer AX6000 and the trusted ASUS RT-AX88U and comparing the two.  I decided to go with the ASUS and as I went to amazon to purchase...website not found.  Then confirmed on other devices that DNS was down.  I didn't make it 24 hours on firmware .115

Good bye netgear...Good luck to the rest of you.

Message 28 of 233
ultimate255
Tutor

The issue persists even after upgrading to Firmware Version V1.0.1.118 (hot fix)

I will try factory resetting the router now.

This is definetely the most expensive router I have ever purchased and the one I had the most problems with as well. Big disappointment.

Message 29 of 233
rax120_rax80
Apprentice

I did a factory reset on code .118 and reimportated my config. No dice. I moved to the beta .115 code last night and I didn't have the DNS failure until about an hour ago. 

A hack to clear it is you run a test from Basic >> Internet >> Test. Maybe Netgear should open up an API so we can self solve!

Regardless, this is complete and utter trash. Netgear doesn't seem to be doing anything to help us either. 

Message 30 of 233
rax120_rax80
Apprentice

@Christian_R can we get some help here? The same issue occurs with code .114, .115, and .118. The RAX120 fails to respond to DNS queries. Setting DNS manually to external servers is a no go on many IOT devices. This is a terribly crippling bug and the inability to schedule/script resets leaves the user base of this $400 router handicapped. 

Message 31 of 233
Len1304
Aspirant

I too started having DNS issues a few days ago. Seems to just die and have to reboot each time. Hope they come out with a fix if the beta firmware hasn’t resolved the issue.
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 32 of 233
rax120_rax80
Apprentice

Well, after three failures in 2 hours I decided to roll back to code .108. I don't recall that code being tempermental in the tail end of last year, but I guess I'll find out soon enough. One thing I did notice is the CPU overhead is much less than when running on code .115. Coincidence? Maybe... Regardless, I'm tempted to do a factory reset again and restore as well, but I'll wait to see if this one fails in the next day. 

On another note, while I was waiting for additional failures today I did a little digging that may be helpful as a work around to community. I enabled telnet (Really Netgear??? Not SSH?) by logging into the switch via http://IP_Address/debug.htm. After experiancing a DNS failure, I reset the daemon /etc/init.d/dnsmasq. Viola. The DNS requests/pings to hosts replied again. If code .108 doesn't stop the pain and bleedind, I'll throw a reset in crontab for this until Netgear can debug their buggy code. Or I'll just upgrade again to some true bordline enterprise class gear.

Message 33 of 233
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Can you send the link to your beta fw. My RAX 120 lost internet connection just few hours after upgrading to .118 beta hotfix. Problems with internet connection started with automatic fw update to .124 and lately with hotfix .118.
Message 34 of 233
JayCal
Aspirant

DNS drops out after some period of time between 15 minutes and a day.

I found changing the DNS or sometimes just re apply the same one brings it back for a while.

The Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 worked for a while then the same thing.

It dropped again as I was writting this. Hit the Apply button on Internet Setup and its back. Need this fixed. Just installed this Sunday. Buggy from the start. Help please Netgear.

Message 35 of 233
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Typo error .114 instead of. 124
Message 36 of 233
TerryPh
Virtuoso

I'm thinking of getting back to fw .108.
I was running on this one for a while without DNS connection problem until about 4 days ago,after automatic update fw .114 loaded into my router. Since then, loss of internet connection, noticing DNS lookup problem from router. Same with fw .108 hotfix.
Unless better stable fw hotfix comes out resolving DNS issue, I would want to stay with fw .108, proven to have less problems

Message 37 of 233
Killhippie
Prodigy

Firstly why have you used a RAX80 which is very buggy instead of an access point, also you have connected a 12 stream router to a 8 stream router which I imagine will cause cause conflicts as well, tbh you would better off having two 12 stream routers, same chipset etc to avoid these conflicts I'm not sure why you have downgraded your Wi-Fi to 8 streams anyway. I have had no DNS issues whatsoever using just the RAX120, neither has a friend using two EX8000 extenders, one of which is in AP mode the other is in wireless mode.

I think a lot of issues are down to different chipsets and different wifi 6 specs and bugs, I would suggest using a RAX80 as a AP is a giant waste of time, an access point like the EAX80 would have been better or two 120s. You basically are running two different protocols and drafts of Wi-Fi 6 and Im not sure they really are compatible with what you trying to do, better off using two R7800's and sticking with WI-FI-5. Also could you please not talk about a piece of firmware that if you were given official access to, means you agreed to the terms of a NDA which you are currently breaking. Please talk about betas in the appropriate forum. Note always factory reset your router when using bleeding edge tech it will save a lot of headaches down the line when features and drivers are being updated.

Message 38 of 233
kschroed
Star

48 hours of stability now after factory reset and minimum configuration changes. 

I hadn't tried logging into the router as you did as assumed it was locked down, guess not, will look at that today. From an acceptable work around perspective, it would be great if we could bypass dnsmasq altogether and configure the DNS addresses DHCP server uses.  The DNS configuration options in the UI are for upstream DNS, changing DNS servers to google or other provider and has no bearing on the issues as the DNS server address handed out to clients is still the router address proxied through dnsmasq. If we could configure DHCP Options for DNS servers to be somethign other than the router this would bypass the issue.  Frankly I'd prefer that confiugration anyway as I'd like to use OpenDNS , Pi-Hole or some other DNS filter software and be able to know what clients are making what DNS calls.  As it stands with the Router always being the DNS server PI-Hole for example only shows one client(the router) so some of the benefits are deminished. 

Message 39 of 233
JayCal
Aspirant

Access the router by IP. Support suggested updating the firmware to a beta version. I did it and it initially is working. I'm aware that changing the DNS initself doesn't matter but the action of the update seems to reset the router to temporally correct whatever this bug is.Have a good day. Good luck with our problem

Message 40 of 233
JayCal
Aspirant

Sorry to say the firmware update failed to resolve the problem

Message 41 of 233
rax120_rax80
Apprentice

First, I don’t need to explain to you why I am using a RAX80 as an AP. However, since you type with such authority as an ‘expert’ in networking equipment, I can tell you that I received it for FFFFFFRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE from a friend who went with another vendor.

Second, I’ve had my RAX80 UNGPLUGGED for all of these tests since Sunday and the issue has repeated a dozen times. Tell me again how the different chipsets are the cause of the issue again?

Third, no one on this forum is discussing the details of the .115 beta firmware, only that it is experiencing the same problem as EVERY OTHER CODE TESTED. Stop being a shill for Netgear.

Fourth, if you read the entirety of the posts you will know that myself, and others, have done factory resets and still experience the problem. We are all happy for you and that your RAX120 has no issues whatsoever. Congratulations.  

This thread is for people that are having disconnects due to a DNS resolution failure with the RAX120, or those that are willing to work towards a solution. If anyone wants to post something in a lecturing tone like a university professor, don’t waste ours’ or your time. It’s counterproductive.

Message 42 of 233
rax120_rax80
Apprentice

Code .108 stopped resolving DNS requests at 1am this morning. It made it about 7 hours. Below is a summary of what we’ve seen.

• After 3/1 many users experienced their network devices being disconnected
  • It was determined that internal and external hosts could be reached via IP, but DNS in the RAX120 was not functioning
  • The problem occurs when DNS servers are set both statically or dynamically in the router.
  • The problem occurs regardless of the DNS servers set statically in the router.
  • The problem occurs in code levels .108 through .118
  • The problem occurs again after a factory reset
  • The time between failures varies and the temporary fix is to restart the router (or dnsmasq service)

Since users were hit with this bug without upgrading or making change to their configuration prior to the impact, this feels like a time bomb bug in the code. @netgear Are you going to assist your user base? We're hearing a lot of crickets.

Message 43 of 233
HanzJ
Guide

@rax120_rax80, I was going to respond in a similar manner, but.....fanboys.

I really wanted this to work, but my ASUS RT-AX88U arrived this morning and is in service now.  Best of luck.

Message 44 of 233
Topology
Virtuoso

Rax120_rax80, to clarify, when you say that “the problem occurs again after a factory reset,” do you mean that “random disconnects” occur when the RAX120 is in a factory reset state, with all router options having their default values?

Message 45 of 233
rax120_rax80
Apprentice

Good question. When I said the problem occurs again after a factory reset, the DNS failure that is the root of the issue occurs again. Although, the caveat is I re-apply my configuration from a backup. I haven't left the RAX120 in the default factory configuration, because I have a bunch of clients and it would take e an hour to manually setup the MAC filter again. I can give a factory reset a go and leave the settings default to see if it is any better. 

The one thing that stands out to me is that no settings changed for a month before the random DNS failures. Now it's all the time. I would allude it isn't the non-default settings unless there is a time bomb in a particuar setting. 

Message 46 of 233
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Try it without the saved config, using one can bring back issues which let's hope may have been your issue in this case or a shortcut elsewhere maybe.
I've not experienced your issue and I'm also running a similar setup but would probably say the RAX80 might not be the best product for your needs even if it's a freebie and not in use.
Try it without any saved config and with just basic devices connected and slowly add devices at length maybe to see if an issue rears it's head. 

Message 47 of 233
Len1304
Aspirant

Not sure it helps. But I noticed I had a DNS issue. So I went through the app to reboot the router from my phone. A few days ago when I used the app it wiped my traffic history.

Today when I reboot the router using the app it factory reset my router. I’m wondering if this is all connected? Up until this morning is been using the web interface to reboot my router. I got lazy today and used the app.
Message 48 of 233
ultimate255
Tutor

I haven't had an incident in over 24 hours, this may be fixed for me.

I updated to the 118 hot fix firmware and factory resetted the router.
I did not restore from backup, I simply took note of my configuration and manually re-applied it.

So far no issues.
Message 49 of 233
HanzJ
Guide

I truly hope you guys have found a way to keep this thing running.  Mine was a new purchase/install on Monday (3/9).  The router came with .114 and had a DNS issue before I upgraded to .118.  It had an issue on .118 before and after factory resets.  It had an issue with .115 provided through this thread.  I wasn't able to have any success, I tried mostly default settings with just a couple wired devices, I tried it setup the way I want with 50+ devices.  I set it up the way netgear support wanted....everything I tried gave no joy. Believe, me, I tried everything I could and spend HOURS on this.  I wanted it to work badly. 

Message 50 of 233
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7