× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 Slow Wifi Speeds

kyleh22
Aspirant

This issue only seems to impact my AX devices. If I toogle off AX from the router menus, my speed stays constistant. The issue with the router appears to be related to the AX functionality...

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 26 of 111
BenBoosted
Guide

I just turned off AX/OFDMA.  Will report back in tomorrow if my speeds are in the same neighborhood or not.

Message 27 of 111
michail71
Apprentice

Opposite issue I'm having.  My AX devices are flawless and fast.

Message 28 of 111
BenBoosted
Guide

Unfortunately disabling AX didn't make a change.  My normal speeds connected to 5G are 500Mbps down and 350-400Mpbs up.  After ~12 hours I'm down to 140Mpbs down and 35-40Mbps up.  If I wait until 24 hours I'll be down to 80Mbps down and 20-25Mbps up.  A reboot of the router fixes it every time, temporarily.  I shouldn't have to reboot my router 1-2x/day every day.

Message 29 of 111
michail71
Apprentice

@BenBoosted wrote:

Unfortunately disabling AX didn't make a change.  My normal speeds connected to 5G are 500Mbps down and 350-400Mpbs up.  After ~12 hours I'm down to 140Mpbs down and 35-40Mbps up.  If I wait until 24 hours I'll be down to 80Mbps down and 20-25Mbps up.  A reboot of the router fixes it every time, temporarily.  I shouldn't have to reboot my router 1-2x/day every day.

These days we should not have to reboot or reset devices under normal circumstances.  I feel like I'm back 20 years ago.  

Message 30 of 111
avtella
Prodigy

It’s unfortunately easier said than done, even enteprise/business routers from the likes Cisco at times for certain firmwares ask for a factory reset and avoid importing configuration as some changes may cause issues or some bugs may be saved in the config.
Message 31 of 111
NordicBastrd
Apprentice

No they don't.  That's a ridiculous statement.  Think about Cisco trying to tell a company with thousands of complex settings to factory reset their router and not use a saved config to set it back up again. Cisco would be out of business very very very fast if they did that.

Message 32 of 111
avtella
Prodigy

umm just look at at the RV200 for at least one update they reccomended a factory reset.... Easy to say they shouldn't but truth is some updates  it may be preffered (not required but preferred) to do a factory reset as some bugs may be carried over from config files if reuploaded.... For god sakes I even had to do that on a firewall recently because a later update had issues with some parts of my config files from an older firmware, Did everyone have issues no but I had certain settings that had issues. Not every update but for some its preffered it, its not like they enjoy erccomending people to do this. I never said every update FYI.

Heres a RV340 series firmware note,

"The most common configurations on the old release 1.0.01.x are supported on the new version and can be kept after upgrading. However, we recommend that you reset your device to use the default settings when you upgrade to this version and reconfigure your device as there are many new features and changes on this version."

Message 33 of 111
avtella
Prodigy

That was from a RV345 firmware note, there were some issues with certain configs, go and call Cisco if its so ridiculous to believe, that was also confirmed by a call after dealing with some issues so apparently you know more than them 🙂 .... As I said some changes in firmware can cause issues so they preffer if you re-enter config so that there aren't any issues.

Message 34 of 111
BenBoosted
Guide

I just did a factory reset, leaving WMM enabled.  I'll report back in 24 hours if there's been wireless performance degradation or not.

Message 35 of 111
BenBoosted
Guide

within 8 hours of doing a factory reset my wifi speeds are 1/3 of what they were.  A fresh reboot and speeds are back, but only for a few hours at a time.  I'm about done with this router.

Message 36 of 111
Asphyxiant
Guide

Hey guys,

I know it’s been a minute, but give up on this router. Netgear does not care. Factory resets? Multiple firmware updates? Neutering features one your $400 router just so you can have some type of performance?

I returned this router as fast as I purchased it. Went with an Asus GT-AX11000 and have had impeccable performance. No need to have any special configurations, standing on one foot wearing a tinfoil hat. It just works.

It truly is a shame that Netgear has made absolutely 0 effort in trying to fix a very clearly broken device, and has been nothing but absent in this thread. I would expect a class action lawsuit from this type of negligence probably in the near future if Netgear can not provide a real solution. But let’s be honest here, it’s been what? 4-5 months of constant complaining and look what’s happened.

Just ditch the hardware guys. It’s really not worth it.
Message 37 of 111
kyleh22
Aspirant

Re: RAX120 Slow Wifi Speeds (6Mbps link rate)

Update, turning of AX did not fix the issue. The speed still randomly drops to <1Mbps...

I have noticed this issue really only impacts my windows 10 laptop that has a wifi 6 network card. When the wifi is working well on the laptop, the Nighthalk app report a link rate of 868Mbps. When the speed slows the link rate says 6Mbps. Does anyone know if link rate is noegotiated by the computer or by the router? It seems strange that this seems to only impact my windows laptop and not my iOS devices. Any thoughts? 

Message 38 of 111
kyleh22
Aspirant

Ive noticed this issue really only impacts my laptop with a wifi ax network card. I'm uisng a windows surface laptop 3. What type of computer are you using? I've also notice that when ths issue happens, the link rate (according to the iOS app) shows 6Mbps for the impacted device. 

Message 39 of 111
NordicBastrd
Apprentice

Yes, it only impacts my AX cards.  I have 3, a kill ax1650, a TP-Link Wifi 6 AX3000 and a Fenvi ax card.  The issue happens on all 3 and yes the speed drops to usually right around 6 mbps give or take 2-3 mbps.  It does not happen on my ac only cards.

Message 40 of 111
michail71
Apprentice

I had my Samsung S10+ also drop along with my Windows 10 devices, Amazon Alexas, and Google hubs. Usually the 5 GHz band just wigs out on this router.  From there it depend on if you have a shared frequency SSID and how quickly the client can recover the router's crash on 5 GHz to switch over. 

Message 41 of 111
kyleh22
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. Do you beleive it's bad hardware or bad firmware? I ask b/c i'm on the fense about cutting my losses and buying a different router. I'm outsid the return window so I will have to eat the $350 I paid for the router 😞

Message 42 of 111
kyleh22
Aspirant

Good to know and thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully Netgear monitors these threads and will address the issue with a firmware update ASAP! 

Message 43 of 111
NordicBastrd
Apprentice

It could be bad firmware, but there is currently no good one. As for hardware, getting an RMA and a new Nighthawk won't help, I"ve tried.  Unfortunately pretty much replacing it is probably the best option.  I"m going to as soon as router prices come down a bit, Routers be crazy expensive right now. Just going to hold out on a terrible router for a few more months and then cut my losses.

Message 44 of 111
kyleh22
Aspirant

Yeah...I've tried two RAX120's and both had the same issue. Thanks for the quick responses.

Have a nice night and keep your fingers crossed for a firmware update...

Best,

Kyle

Message 45 of 111
michail71
Apprentice

I have a software background myself and I'm positive it is firmware related. The hardware is capable of amazing performance. They just need some managerial level shakeup to get it fixed. It's not Boeing level issues, but not far off.

Something is crashing the code. It's somewhere in whatever handles the 5 GHz frequecy.
Message 46 of 111

I'm bummed i recently bought this router and the new range extender. Nothing but drops and slowness.

I have fiber to my home. 

A wired connection gives me close to 1GB up and down.

My WiFi is clocking in on multiple devices at 50-70mb's up and down

I have been a loyal NetGear buyer for 15 years.  Looks like i am on the hunt for a replacement.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 47 of 111
avtella
Prodigy

Seems definitely like a firmware issue rather than hardware as mine has been solid as an AP. It’s been 3 months since the last update so hopefully they take care of this soon, otherwise most of you with this issue are probably better of changing models or switching vendors at this point.
Message 48 of 111
BenBoosted
Guide

I have official thrown in the towel on this.  I went with an Amplifi Alien and am seeing faster wireless performance by about 75Mbps and much further range/signal strength.

Message 49 of 111
kyleh22
Aspirant

Good to know. I’ve been eyeing up that router. I’ll probably make the switch if updated firmware isn’t announced soon.
Message 50 of 111
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7