× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 Slow Wifi Speeds

bjr62
Aspirant

I am running 1.2.0.16, have tried down graded the firmware, reset the router as well as had the router replaced.  Still have the same issues.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 76 of 111
Hitman12
Aspirant

Change where you live. If you are streaming everything and have phones and other things connecting, your performance will be slow as you are only paying for 50 download. I have on most good days 480 down and 20 up and even with those figures I have to watch how many things are currently connected. Currently 22 things in the house connect and am getting good performance from all....

Message 77 of 111
Larrylii
Guide

When I was using this router, my phone was the only thing connected online. Everything else in the house was off, I was the one not one home. My phone on 5g would run circles around this router. It’s like comparing a nascar to a hover round. Huge speed difference!! This router works best in my garbage can. Netgear got my money and they dont care about anything else. My new asus is 100 times faster!!!
Message 78 of 111
bjr62
Aspirant

On to Teir 2

Message 79 of 111
bjr62
Aspirant

Nope. On to Teir 2 support

Message 80 of 111

On to eero, never looked back
Message 81 of 111
Tofu-Golem
Apprentice

I have a similar issue, and I'm done.

I have a RAX120 with a RAX80 acting as an access point. The 120 gets around 10% speed even over ethernet, and the 80 stopped providing WiFi at all after the last firmware update.

No more Netgear. I'm buying a router from a different brand today and throwing the Netgear routers in the garbage where they belong. I can't take this anymore.

Message 82 of 111
Larrylii
Guide

This was the best decision I’ve made. Less stress in my life with this POS in the garbage. Worst investment I’ve ever made!!! It’s comforting to know that netgear has got our backs. Lol 😂
Message 83 of 111
michail71
Apprentice

I moved on to Asus AX86U a while back. It just works to the point I've forgotten it is there. I'm using full 160 Mhz and routinely get 800 to 1200 mbps. It's half the cost as well.

I don't understand why the RAX gets such good reviews. Only way could be if people are only using 2.4 GHz channel.
Message 84 of 111
bjr62
Aspirant

I also have spent hours of my valuable time trying to help TEIR 2 fix my router.  They replaced it once with a refurb that did not work.  They were supposed to send me a NEW router in the box.  They promised over and over- I got another refurb that I refuse to waste time on.  WHAT NOW NETGEAR??  Do the right thing and send me a new router in thre box or refund my money!!!

@bjr62 wrote:

I am running 1.2.0.16, have tried down graded the firmware, reset the router as well as had the router replaced.  Still have the same issue

Message 85 of 111
Tofu-Golem
Apprentice

Sigh.

I went back on what I said.

I did a factory reset on both routers, readjusted the various settings, and things went back to normal. The only difference is that I didn't turn remote management back on, so now the Nighthawk app is kind of useless (or rather, it can only work on the router it's actually connected to).

These routers are so finicky. When they work, they work spectacularly. When they don't work, it's like trying to use an anvil as a networking device.

Message 86 of 111
Susurs
Tutor

Any updates to this? Is the issue still persistent?

The only solution I have noticed on the other topics was to disable port aggregation.
Message 87 of 111
BenBoosted
Guide

The consensus amongst the folks in this post that own this router is to throw it in the trash and get a non-Netgear router.

Message 88 of 111
rafale7
Apprentice

Have not tried again but I have happily thrown mine away. What a waste of a very well designed piece of hardware destroyed by disgusting firmware.

Message 89 of 111
Susurs
Tutor

Hmm... I would not even have idea such a problem might potentially exist if I had not found this topic.

Feedbacks on, for example, BestBuy seem to have dissapointment by some people but the majority rate it very high, and also reviews does not seem to mention this issue. 😞
Message 90 of 111
sjbhh
Apprentice

This issue is still there and it is unbelievable Netgear has not done anything about it within the last 12 month. 

When is a new firmware coming out that will fix these speed issues ?

Message 91 of 111
Larrylii
Guide

They got our money, that’s all that matters to them. They have no desire to correct the issue.
Message 92 of 111
Susurs
Tutor

Well, I’m not sure - Maybe I am just lucky for now or there are models which are not affected, however, I have been constantly testing my RAX120 over few last weeks, and it is as stable as it could get.

No issues, constant speed on my 200/200Mbps connection. Great wifi range. I cannot complain really. FW 1.2.0.16.

P.S. I have around 10 WiFi devices in total (AX, AC, and some N clients).
Message 93 of 111
Susurs
Tutor

P.S. See the screenshot attached as well.
Message 94 of 111
Tofu-Golem
Apprentice

Like I said, when they work, they work great.

Message 95 of 111
Chichizola
Star

But whe they don't there is no one to address the issue. It took me a couple of weeks to get mine exchanged under warranty, and after all that I got a referbished one with the same issues.

I have to say if you turn it one, change the SSID and password, and don't use any of the adverticed features, mine has worked normaly. If you add QoS settings, and/or MAC blocking once, it brakes. Not even a factory reset fixes it. I won't buy another Netgear device.

Message 96 of 111
Tofu-Golem
Apprentice

Honestly, I'm starting to wonder if Netgear's firmware programmers are understaffed or something. This can't be normal.

Message 97 of 111
Hitman12
Aspirant

You will have to Pay for more internet speed. I have the same router and my internet provider sets my base speed at 300mbs download and am getting much more than that wifi or hard wired. check your provider and modem. your router will be limited by your modem and or provider. During peak internet hours your speed will drop off. as for streaming everything I suggest you Pay for more speed, and maybe move your router

especially if you have alot of walls btween you and the router.  Main problem is still your modem, and internet speed/provider. but you already know that...... My 2.4 gig side is between 90 and 150 mbs and I have all kinds of things accessing. If you are paying for more than your getting, just call and offer to pay for what you are getting until your provider resolves your issues. Also some routers and modems arent compatible with all providers. Check the list of compatible routers and modems they have on file. I am using one of my providers new 3.1 modems which is compatible with the RAX120. Hope this info helps you

Message 98 of 111
Hitman12
Aspirant

Good looking out on factory reset. I just assumed that was already done when you talked with netgear techs.  

Message 99 of 111
Foodfiend
Aspirant

Had issues for like a year, finally took the time to dig in and fix it.  Slow speeds caused by latency, dropping packets, etc.

It ended up not being an issue with the router itself in the sense of doing firmware upgrades, factory resetting, etc.  The issue is called "Bufferbloat" and it happens when your router is faster, to be simple, than your cable modem.  When you reboot everything, you're clearing the buffer, which is why it works for a bit then slows back down.  

I had/have a 1gb fiber cable modem I was given by Spectrum.  It's a Hitron EN2251.....  Do some Google searches and see the hate.(puma 6 chipset)  Essentially, my cable modem...even though it's DOCSIS 3.1...could not handle the how much data was coming from the router.  Buffer fills up....router overworks and Network sloooows.  Packets start dropping shortly after that.  

I replaced my cable modem with a Motorola MB8611 from Best Buy to be safe but then there is a setting on the router you can adjust if you can't replace yours.  I still did mine as well.  Log into your router; Advanced - QoS setup.  Run a Speed Test from there and look at your max uplink bandwidth.  If upstream QoS is off, it should show your max uplink speed your service provides.  Now put the check into "Enable Upstream QoS" then run the Speedtest again.  See if that Max changes.(it should).  Bufferbloat!  

This limits the services on your independent devices so they don't take up more UPLOAD bandwidth than they actually need, allowing your all devices to have enough bandwidth.  Essentially, your capping upload bandwidth by service to keep from filling the Cable Modems buffer up with a firehouse!

You can then prioritize your rules list, add new rules, etc for your apps.  All I did was make rule #11 "On-line gaming" a Hih priority and left the rest default.(Removed a few rules I'll never use like Yahoo Messenger)

I haven't heard a scream from my son in 2 days while gaming and he is having no lag issues, fast as it's ever been, etc. vs multiple day reboots of everything!

Let me know if you need any further info as I know this has been frustrating for me.

Message 100 of 111
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7