× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 Slow Wifi Speeds

Larrylii
Guide

Re: RAX120 Slow Wifi Speeds

Horrible router. I have better speeds with the modem/router from Comcast . I pay for 1tb speeds and with this router, I’m lucky to break 50mb. 5g on my cell phone tests faster. A lot of money wasted for a paper weight.
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 51 of 111
avtella
Prodigy

Try the new 1.0.1.128 firmware, no official mention of fixes for DNS or slow down issues in the changelog but sometimes they don't mention some fixes even if included so maybe worth a shot....

New Features and Enhancements:

• Supports the ISP profile menu, which includes ISPs from Europe and Asia
  • Supports Orange France IPTV
  • Supports Singapore Singtel IPTV
  • Supports the time zone auto detection feature

Bug Fixes:

• Improves the stability of NETGEAR Armor
  • Fixes the issue where the router is unable to access the USB device using the ReadyCLOUD portal
  • Fixes the issue where the Nighthawk app does not display devices in attached device list
  • Fixes some minor issues in the router web interface

Security Fixes:

• Fixes security vulnerability issues
Message 52 of 111
avtella
Prodigy

Message 53 of 111
Larrylii
Guide

Appreciate your response but I already junked this router. My phone should not be faster on 5g than this product. So I’m out 600$ for this faulty equipment and upgraded to an asus router. Hopefully not issues with it.
Message 54 of 111
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 55 of 111
Kyne
Apprentice

The Alien is nice, but no DFS, no way to control the (upper) 5Ghz channels on teh 2nd radio in mesh mode. I want to love it, but I actually went back to a single RAX120 as I need DFS where I'm at..

Message 56 of 111
aardvarke
Aspirant

1.0.1.128 does not fix the issue.  I also have the low transmission dropout issues, very, very dissappointing given the cost of the unit. Does anyone know if the Asus GT-AX11000 is any better? ....I'm looking at ditching the unit.

Message 57 of 111
Larrylii
Guide

Ditching this router is the best thing I’ve done. My cell phone should not be faster. Comcast’s xb7 gateway performs better. I got the asus router and it performs much better, less headaches too!
Message 58 of 111
Asphyxiant
Guide

As I previously posted the GT AX-11000 is a much more mature, and stable product.  I immediately switched to this router when I identified the severe problem with the netgear platform.  You will have no issues w/ Asus.

End of story.  Everyone.  Stop trying.  Get a different router.  Netgear will not fix this anytime soon.  Its been what 8-9 months?  Give up.

Message 59 of 111
BenBoosted
Guide

It's sad that after all this time, and multiple complaints, that nobody got anywhere with this model router.  Something that seems like it should be fixable with a firmware update.

In any case mine is well out of the return window so it's money wasted, sitting in a box, in a closet.

Message 60 of 111
rafale7
Apprentice

I am trying really hard to reproduce this problem. I see a lot of people having it so I am a bit worried and have been testing for it but I can't seem to be able to reproduce this issue. I am also not doing anything special with mine. It is on it's 4th day of straight uptime and the speeds appear normal.

Message 61 of 111
Asphyxiant
Guide

Is your device connecting via AX or AC?  The problem is with AX devices, not 802.11a|b|g|n|ac

Message 62 of 111
rafale7
Apprentice

I am indeed testing from a 3x3 AC client but I saw reports of problems with both types depending on the people reporting.

Message 63 of 111
Larrylii
Guide

They just don’t care about the customers. The company got a lot of our money and that’s all they care about. My biggest stress relief was getting rid of this paper weight. The asus runs circles around this product, even though my cell phone did also on 5G. Just cut your losses and go with another company.
Message 64 of 111
rafale7
Apprentice

I am wondering if this product is being abandonned and replaced. i am seeing it sold new in the netgear refurb store for a big discount. I think I got a glimpse of this problem when this morning my tests suddenly appear to be capped at 50mbps but then disconnecting wifi from my laptop and reconnecting got me back to normal. I will have to test further. I am using mine as an AP so I am not making use of any of the routing features.

Message 65 of 111
rafale7
Apprentice

Ok I think I reproduced the problem:

I did it with a 2x2 AC client.

Immediately after Connection in direct line of sight, I get a MCS index of 9 and an established TX speed of 866Gbps. (read from my macbook)

I ran an iperf test in both directions and I get ~550mbps both ways which is pretty normal.

I then waited for 10 minutes and did it again.

This time I am getting ~50mbps sending from my laptop and 250mbps down from my server.

I then switched to the 2.4GHz SSID and am getting ~300mbps both ways. There seems to be a problem with the 5GHz band. I have not yet tried turning of AX support. Somehow maybe some client bandwidth limitation or prioritization issue?

This is all tested on the latest 1.0.1.128 firmware.

I might not be keeping this guy after all...

Message 66 of 111
rafale7
Apprentice

Not very easy to reproduce and I can't figure why and what triggers this phenomenon but it is pretty frequent.

It indeed looks like a QOS bug reported in other threads. I am only using the device as an AP. Engineers at netgear if you see this, please take a look at this. I will be returning my purchase if there is no solution to it. I don't have and never have QOS enabled. I am seeing the problem even in AP mode.

Message 67 of 111
rafale7
Apprentice

I think I got to a reproducible behaviour:

when a client is connected to the RAX120 for some period of time (seems like 10 or 15min) it seems to make it into a QOS list which limits its bandwidth to 50 up/100 down. Disconnecting and immediately reconnecting the client shows a short burst of a few seconds until the same behavior shows up. Disconnect the client or have it roam to another AP for about 10minutes and come back and you will see the speeds become normal again for 10-15min until the limit kicks in again. Pretty nasty stuff which works for reviews but in real life is a pain.

I opened a ticket but the response is as useless as can be: Factory reset router and/or disable AX. None of which is an acceptable answer and shows they are powerless. I am taking this down and returning it. This is a firmware issue.

Message 68 of 111

Yeah, my speeds are disappointing to say the least. How is the Asus working out?
Message 69 of 111
Asphyxiant
Guide

Absolutely no issues whatsoever.
Message 70 of 111
Larrylii
Guide

Getting rid of the netgear router was the best thing I did. No more stress from fighting with this expensive paperweight. The asus runs circles around this piece of garbage. I haven’t had any issues yet. Netgear doesn’t care about the garbage they put out, they got your money, that’s all that matters to them. Junk it and buy an asus, you won’t regret it!
Message 71 of 111
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

What are you getting and what should you get?

Message 72 of 111

I gave up.
Moved to the new (2020) eero mesh router and a switch for my office, never think about WiFi, speeds are outstanding!
Great management app, great router.
After 20 years, Netgear no more.
Message 73 of 111
bjr62
Aspirant

How is the beta firmware working out.  My 120 is blazing fast when wired.  Once I go wireless

I can forget getting any work done.  Tech support sent out refurb router with no joy.  I will try the firmware if you like. 

Message 74 of 111
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

It runs fine on the latest firmware. Update, reset and test.

Message 75 of 111
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7