× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 V2 Constant Random Reboots

FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset and set up the router from scratch after loading the beta? 

I would send the moderator who have you that beta version a PM and let them know what your seeing. 

@Kidhack wrote:

Update. Same issue happened. Happens every few days still. 

Symptoms:
- All, wifi and ethernet, connections die (devices do not see router, no network in wifi menu)

- WPS and wifi LEDs on front are off (pressing the WPS / wifi buttons has no effect)

- Lights on back of router are flashing

Temporary solution:

- Turn off and turn on router

- Get really frustrated

Message 76 of 707
oscarkk
Tutor

In my case the router runs stable for a month without rebooting, but whenever I play videos on fire tv stick 4k max with plex, the router reboots on average every 20 minutes. Tested the same situation many times. But on apple tv 4k with plex to play video or movies did not encounter this situation.

Message 77 of 707
Briarchild
Tutor

Rax120 has rebooted 3 times after firmware 1.2.3.33-0315. First reboot happened in 3days without any change settings.Second reboot happened in less 24 hours. And after rebooting the router couldn’t back to work just a power led light stays(router will come back to work when I press the power button and turn on) Third reboot: Then I disabled 2.4G WMM the router rebooted after about 4 days but it at least could restart regularly.
Message 78 of 707
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You may want to factory reset the router and see if that resolves the issue. The firmware update could of caused the issue. You can also backup your routers settings if needed before factory resetting the router. https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 79 of 707
oscarkk
Tutor

Okay, thanks! I'll try it.

Message 80 of 707
oscarkk
Tutor

The router restores factory settings and still has the problem of random reboot. I hope the engineers will pay attention to this problem and solve it in the new version of firmware. A router at this price shouldn't have such a low-level problem.

Message 81 of 707
doctorcito
Star

Tell me about it! So damn frustrating, they don't care at all!

Message 82 of 707

The beta firmware didn't work and Netgear keeps endlessly "troubleshooting" but won't RMA it. I've opened up a case with the Massachusetts Consumer Protection agency and am going to take them to small claims court to get my damn money back since they won't refund or replace it.

Jesus - Netgear NEVER again.

Message 83 of 707
DannyLin
Apprentice

I have the same experience. 

Either the latest firmware or the beta firmware cannot fix the reboot issue.

I'm not sure if it's a reboot because the internet connection was dropped and all LEDs except the Power are off. I will have to power off and then power it on again to reboot it to bring back the connection. This is so annoyed considering I spend the amount of money for the RAX120v2.

Message 84 of 707
oscarkk
Tutor

I have the European version of the router and after testing it, I can basically determine the problem: the wireless region is changed to Australia, and the problem of random reboots occurs. If the region is Europe, the reboot problem does not occur. For your reference.

Message 85 of 707
DannyLin
Apprentice

Thanks. That is one thing that I also suspect.

Mine Rax120vw is made in Thailand and I’m in Taiwan. But my region has been set to America. There’s no way I can alter the region setting — don’t know why.
Message 86 of 707
LockwoodLakeman
Aspirant

I am have been experiencing the RAX120 reboot issues.  Can you send me the beta FW as well?

Message 87 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Make contact with a forum moderator.

@DarrenM 

Message 88 of 707
UnKnOwN-SiA
Tutor

Hi

Could you please email me the latest beta rax120 firmware.

restart and slow download speed problem

email: siavashplus@yahoo.com

thank you

Message 89 of 707
doctorcito
Star

Beta version: RAX120-V1.2.3.33-0315.img. Did not solve the rebooting issue for me. Please let me know if there are any other beta firmwares I can try. Thanks!
Message 90 of 707
Kidhack
Star

Well that was too bad...

• Reset to factory defaults

• Installed the beta update

Router is still randomly going dark – lights are on, but wifi / ethernet devices no longer see it on the network.

Message 91 of 707
jcassady88
Aspirant

Re: RAX120v2 keeps randomly restarting

Good morning...  Did your router replacement to another model resolve your issue?  I am receiving the constant reboots and wonder if I just swap a new unit or go to another product such as Linksys or TP Link.  Well, during this message, my router decides to reboot, once again.  Pray for me!!!!!

Message 92 of 707
jcassady88
Aspirant

I would like the beta for the rebooting issue as well:  junius.cassady@yahoo.com

Thank you!

Message 93 of 707
AvgNetBoi
Tutor

Ah I am praying for you, I know the pain! Everything I tried failed so I went for a different router from a different brand - I got Linksys Velop to up my chances with HomeKit compability and it works like a charm. Not a single restart from day 1.
Message 94 of 707
jmcorra
Tutor

Good Morning. I received a replacement of the Netgear RAX12 and unfortunately I encountered the same problem with random reboots with the new router. I did notice that when I approached 30 attached current devices (utilized or idle, i.e. devices, IOT's, etc.) the random re-boots would trigger. I can't be sure but suspect this may be a trigger event. Regardless, I thought it was time to move on and I replaced my Netgear with a ASUS router one month ago and I've not encountered any random reboots with the ASUS device.

Message 95 of 707
jcassady88
Aspirant

Yeah, I fortunately "bit the bullet" and purchased a TP-Link AX6000 WIFI 6 (Archer 6000) router about 10 minutes ago (Amazon will have it here at my home between 5:00pm-10:00pm today, fingers crossed).  NG decided that I had enough problems and will be sending me a replacement router.  Once I receive it, look out store I purchased it from, it's coming back for a "Full Refund'!"

I have always used Netgear and am very sad to go, but got to say goodbye sometimes.....   Farewell Netgear community, in a few hours, I will no longer be a part of this lovely community....

Message 96 of 707
doctorcito
Star

@jcassady88 same! I bought a RAX200 which honestly worked great, but I found find myself having nightmares of the support I received with the RAX120, so I've decided to return the RAX200. I honestly was not confident that if something went wrong with my new rax200, that I would receive proper support. So I've moved on to Asus. Farewell Netgear community. I'll still be on the lookout for a solution as I have a RAX120 that's currently a paperweight.
Message 97 of 707
nestorsamelo
Guide

I am seeing the same random reboots, every few days.

I have a Netgear RAX120v2 running firmware version 1.2.3.28 connected to a Netgear CM2050V, both less than 20 days old.

The RAX120v2 and CM2050V are both connected to a APC UPS BR1500MS2, which is a sinewave, AVR UPS. These are the only devices connected to the UPS. That said, I don't believe that power fluctuations can be blamed for the reboots.

The device has WMM enabled for both 2.4 and 5 GHz. To quote Netgear's KB on WMM, "WMM is a subset of the IEEE 802.11e standard." I should not have to disable it to get rid of the reboots, and according to others in this thread, that doesn't solve the problem either.

This on top of the inability to disable WPS and other annoyances made me consider replacing it with another brand.

Message 98 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have the option to return the RAX and find a different RAX, I would recommend do this. This issue is known to NG and seems like it's taking longer than expected for NG to resolve this. No idea when it will be. So you might want to avoid this model and find something different. 

@nestorsamelo wrote:

I am seeing the same random reboots, every few days.

I have a Netgear RAX120v2 running firmware version 1.2.3.28 connected to a Netgear CM2050V, both less than 20 days old.

The RAX120v2 and CM2050V are both connected to a APC UPS BR1500MS2, which is a sinewave, AVR UPS. These are the only devices connected to the UPS. That said, I don't believe that power fluctuations can be blamed for the reboots.

The device has WMM enabled for both 2.4 and 5 GHz. To quote Netgear's KB on WMM, "WMM is a subset of the IEEE 802.11e standard." I should not have to disable it to get rid of the reboots, and according to others in this thread, that doesn't solve the problem either.

This on top of the inability to disable WPS and other annoyances made me consider replacing it with another brand.

Message 99 of 707
nestorsamelo
Guide

@FURRYe38 , thank you for your recommendation.

What I like about this model is its Qualcomm CPU, which it more likely to be supported by OpenWRT, hopefully in a not so distant future.

I am debating myself what to do. Endure the reboots and wait for a solution. If I am just surfing the net, fine, if I am in a conference call, not so fine. Or go to another brand/model.

Message 100 of 707
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7