× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 WPA3 "Security Setting"?

coyote3
Guide

RAX120 WPA3 "Security Setting"?

I don't know which Security Setting to use.

RAX120-2-4GHZ-SecurityOptions2019-04-22.jpg

If I undertand correctly, WPA3 is backwards compatible, so (while I as yet have no WPA3 devices) I figured I could set it to WPA3 now for good.

So I set it to "WPA3-Personal"...but then my (Android 9) phone (I'm also a noob to Android) presented me with with an "EAP Options" window which totally mystifies me.

EAP-Method.jpg

Sorry but neither the RAX120 manual or googling was enough for me to get un-lost, please help!

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

When setting it to "WPA3 (Personal)" it sill only allow WPA3 ... no backward compatibility.

Set the router to WPA3 (Personal) + WPA2 (AES, Personal) ... this will allow the WPA3 with backward compatibility to WPA2-AES (only, no TKIP, so probably some legacy devices might fail to associate).

Re-think - the UI is 100% clear! You are misguided by some consumer talk that WPA3 is backward compatible - it is if the access point is permitting. If you disable the compatibility - by forcing WPA3 only - any older clients won't associate.

Ignore the Android EAP-method, certificate, et all - as this is applicable to WPA Enterprise deployments only.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

When setting it to "WPA3 (Personal)" it sill only allow WPA3 ... no backward compatibility.

Set the router to WPA3 (Personal) + WPA2 (AES, Personal) ... this will allow the WPA3 with backward compatibility to WPA2-AES (only, no TKIP, so probably some legacy devices might fail to associate).

Re-think - the UI is 100% clear! You are misguided by some consumer talk that WPA3 is backward compatible - it is if the access point is permitting. If you disable the compatibility - by forcing WPA3 only - any older clients won't associate.

Ignore the Android EAP-method, certificate, et all - as this is applicable to WPA Enterprise deployments only.

Message 2 of 3
coyote3
Guide

Thank you *very* much for the perfect help, schumaku!

Thankfully I have no devices old enough to need TKIP.

Sorry, it was very dim of me to think that by compatible marketing intended anything relevant to that setting screen. Now that you cleared the air for me, yes, that setting screen is crystal clear. And now that I selected "WPA3 (Personal) + WPA2 (AES, Personal)" that Android screen is nowhere to be found. Sweet!

Someday many years from now (probably long after this router has died!) I'll have all WPA3 devices and can properly use only the WPA3 setting.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7