× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 Wifi keeps turning off

wchamilton
Aspirant

RAX120 Wifi keeps turning off

I purchased this router back in May and I've had issues with the wifi turning off... at first I thought that one of my cats was stepping on the wifi button but I have it covered with a small piece of plastic and it continues to do it every day or so. 

I've factory reset the router and have it on the most recent firmware (V1.0.1.128) but the issue continues. If I logon to the router when this happens it shows the wifi is off but the only way I can turn it back on is with the button on the router. 

Has anyone else seen this behavior? And if so, how'd you fix it?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX120 Wifi keeps turning off

Has it been happening since day 1? or when did it start happening? 

Message 2 of 7
wchamilton
Aspirant

I had noticed it fairly soon after I purchased it but not often enough to really think it was an issue. Then last week the router was completely unresponsive, ever after multiple restarts, so I did a factory reset (for the fifth time since I bought it in May), upgraded it to the most recent firmware and since then this has happened probably five times. 

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

I'd actually try downgrading the firmware a version or 2. the RAX devices were released even before the AX spec  was finalized so the firmware started out a bit rough. Just like the transition from wireless N to wireless AC. 

So if the newer firmware caused more issues, downgrade, factory reset (so an old setting doesn't cause issues) and reinstall again. 

If that doesn't help, I'd open a support case with netgear on starting RMA. 

click "mynetgear' at the top, register an account and the device. From there you could start the rma process. 

Message 4 of 7
wchamilton
Aspirant

I can give that a try but, forgive my ignorance, that kinda sounds counter-intuitive to me. 🙂 

Wouldn't older firmwares have more issues as opposed to the newer ones?

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Someone's it does. And sometimes new firmware introduces it's own problems
Message 6 of 7
dcinca
Apprentice

the most stable firmware now is .108.

.122 and .128 reboot a lot...

Message 7 of 7