× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 and CM2000-100NAS with Xfinity 1.2gbps tier - possible to get full speeds?

theycallmerayj
Aspirant

RAX120 and CM2000-100NAS with Xfinity 1.2gbps tier - possible to get full speeds?

Just upgrade to xfinity's new tier of 1.2gbps. I already owned the rax120, but went and bought the CM2000 knowing I needed it to hit higher speeds. For the life of me I can't figure out how to get this to work. The modem only has 1 port so I'd assume it has to go to the only multigig port on the router. From there, if this is the only option I tried to aggregate the 2 lan ports on the router to my pc and changed the settings in the router. Either only hit 1gbps(950mbps) or completely lose connection when switting the aggregate settings. Don't really want to lease Xfinity modem, but want to get the full speeds I'm paying for. Do I just need to upgrade to a new router that has more than one multigig port?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX120 and CM2000-100NAS with Xfinity 1.2gbps tier - possible to get full speeds?

the rax120 does wan port aggregation and the sb8200 supports port aggregation as well. 

That'd give you >1gig speeds without needing a new modem

Solved: RAX120 WAN Port Aggregation To CM1200 - NETGEAR Communities

the only thing I'd caution is the sb8200's port aggregation is sketchy at best. I've got one and had nothing but issues with it using port aggregation. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. how did you port aggregate on your computer? You can't just add an extra ethernet port. it has to be a nic card that supports port aggregation

2. just because a single device isn't seeing the full 1.2gig doesn't mean you're other devices aren't. If one computer is maxing out at 960mbps and you test a 2nd device at the same time, it'll have available bandwidth. thats the benefit to the extra .2gig

3. Most test servers can't max out gigabit speeds. 

4. Most users aren't going to see any speed difference going from 1gig to 1.2gig because most of the services they use, don't max it out anyway. for example, streaming 4k only uses 25-40mbps. gaming is even less than that. Its only during massive file downloads that you'll see any benefit. And if you're on xfinity, you're limted to 1.2tb a month anyway. So if you're using that much data, you're going to go over repeatedly. 

I'm in a similar boat. I have 1.2gig sevice. I've used the cm2000 to a RAXE500 and I've used a CAX80. Can I max out speeds on the cax80 at the 1.2? Sure. Can I tell a difference when I use tthe cm2000/raxe versus the CAX? not at all. 

Message 2 of 8
theycallmerayj
Aspirant

1. - just tried to run 2 ethernet cables to the pc. I have a x-570 motherboard which I was under the impression would work, but maybe not.

2/3 - tested on router speed test and can get 1300ish so I know it's actually hitting the speeds just can't get it to get there on pc.

4. - I'm in the northeast and they delayed the cap for now. Used to be unlimited in MD, but I'll have to deal with that or add unlimited once they do finally switch. 

I guess there is no real point to me having bought the CM2000 then. My older modem hit the cap of 950 to begin with. Knowing all that I'm now annoyed that there isn't a better priced plan for what I want. At this point, seems like xfinity forces you to use all there services or none at all. 

Thanks for the help though. Guess I'll be return to BestBuy tomorrow. 

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

1.what x570 do you have? 

2. Just because you can't max out the full 1.2gig on one device, doesn't mean you aren't utilizing it. But it might just be for when you have more than 1 device needing maximum bandwidth. 

3. what modem did you have before? 

Message 4 of 8
theycallmerayj
Aspirant

ROG strix x-570 E

I have an SB8200 which I didn’t even realize did 2gbps until after I bought the cm2000.
Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

the rax120 does wan port aggregation and the sb8200 supports port aggregation as well. 

That'd give you >1gig speeds without needing a new modem

Solved: RAX120 WAN Port Aggregation To CM1200 - NETGEAR Communities

the only thing I'd caution is the sb8200's port aggregation is sketchy at best. I've got one and had nothing but issues with it using port aggregation. 

Message 6 of 8
theycallmerayj
Aspirant

Yeah I thought this was the case once I realized sb3200 has 2 ports. I was thinking of maybe switching to the new arris model s33 and returning the cm2000. Any idea if this model also has the issues your referring to?
Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

I've never used the s33. I also don't know if it support port aggregation. 

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7