× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 assign static IP's to some of my devices?

todd1010
Apprentice

RAX120 assign static IP's to some of my devices?

I have Xfinity internet and I'm pretty capable but before I dig in I want to make sure I'm doing this right. 

I want to assign some static ip's to some of my devices so I can do some controlling via IP with a programmable remote control for my home theater. 

Couple questions:

1) Before I start I understand I should use IP's "outside of the DHCP range correct? If this is true, where do I find this DHCP range?

2) Before I start I've got a list of all of my devices information I'll need but where do I find all of the DNS, etc so I can input this information into my devices settings. 

3) Related to question number 1, I've also read that "some" devices don't like being outside of the DHCP range, if I find a device that doesn't like this I've read that I should us IP addresses in the upper limit of my DHCP range to help with any new devices that I may setup in the future. 

Any other helpful hints you can help me with please post away. 

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RAX120 assign static IP's to some of my devices?

@todd1010 wrote:

I have Xfinity internet and I'm pretty capable but before I dig in I want to make sure I'm doing this right. 

I want to assign some static ip's to some of my devices so I can do some controlling via IP with a programmable remote control for my home theater. 

Couple questions:

1) Before I start I understand I should use IP's "outside of the DHCP range correct? If this is true, where do I find this DHCP range?

Under Advanced Tab/Setup/Lan Setup. 

2) Before I start I've got a list of all of my devices information I'll need but where do I find all of the DNS, etc so I can input this information into my devices settings. 

3) Related to question number 1, I've also read that "some" devices don't like being outside of the DHCP range, if I find a device that doesn't like this I've read that I should us IP addresses in the upper limit of my DHCP range to help with any new devices that I may setup in the future. 

To have static IPs work right that are set ON devices, first change the default DHCP IP address pool range to 192.168.1.100 thru .200. Then you can setup and configure static IP address ON devices on ether side of this pool. Anything with in the pool gets Dynamically assigned or IP Address Reservations are meant for inside this pool. 

Message 2 of 7
todd1010
Apprentice

Thanks for the useful information on setting the DHCP range to 100-200 which I did. 

I then started setting my static IP addresses at 201 and up. 

Message 3 of 7
todd1010
Apprentice

Also, 

Do you guys recommend doing DHCP Reservations for devices that you can't setup a static IP?

The devices I'm talking about are things like my Sonos speakers, Ecobee Thermostat, MyQ Garage Door Opener, Levition Light switch, etc? Basically things that will be just sitting on the internet the entire time without much needing to change stuff on it. 

Message 4 of 7
todd1010
Apprentice

Also,

What do you recommend for DNS server?

Secondary DNS?
Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

@todd1010 wrote:

Also, 

Do you guys recommend doing DHCP Reservations for devices that you can't setup a static IP? You can. 

I usually set up statics for devices that don't need much router management or device management. Devices like, printers, NAS, controllers yet you may need access and thus know what there IP addresses are if you write them down or have intuitive static IP addresses. 

The devices I'm talking about are things like my Sonos speakers, Ecobee Thermostat, MyQ Garage Door Opener, Levition Light switch, etc? Basically things that will be just sitting on the internet the entire time without much needing to change stuff on it. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Use what works best for you. ISP DNS if it's good or custom ones, cloudfare, quad 9, OpenDNS or Google are options. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7