× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 constantly dropping WiFi until reset

undeadhaggis
Aspirant

I spoke too soon about seeing an improvement by downgrading the firmware to V1.0.0.84.  Today when I restarted my router it went back to the factory default settings.  I guess I need to keep waiting for the RMA replacement to show up at my house.  Hopefully the new one doesn't have the same problem.  Makes it almost impossible to work from home during the COVID-19 quarantine.  I'm spending hours a day just manually restoring router configurations.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 51 of 97
Kicks10
Guide

The solution that has worked for most people has been factory reset. Not just turning the router on and off as I think some people are doing. That's called cycling. Try to factory reset your router and then you can enter your setting again after that. It's the pin hold in the bottom rear corner of the router. Use a paper clip and push in for 10 seconds to factory reset. Your username and password will become the default that it was when you bought the router. Use the Netgear app to set up quickly. It sucks putting all your configuration settings back afterwards but this has worked for me and I've been stable for two weeks now.
Message 52 of 97
undeadhaggis
Aspirant

Yes, I have tried the factory reset 4-5 times now where I use a paperclip to push down the reset button on the router.  Unfortunately that has never solved the problem for me.  I also tried the 30-30-30 reset as suggested by others, but that didn't work either.  I'm hoping I just have a defective device and the RMA replacement that should arrive soon doesn't have the same problem.  If so, I will definitely not be buying a Netgear device again...way too many problems.

Message 53 of 97
Kicks10
Guide

@undeadhaggis wrote:

Yes, I have tried the factory reset 4-5 times now where I use a paperclip to push down the reset button on the router.  Unfortunately that has never solved the problem for me.  I also tried the 30-30-30 reset as suggested by others, but that didn't work either.  I'm hoping I just have a defective device and the RMA replacement that should arrive soon doesn't have the same problem.  If so, I will definitely not be buying a Netgear device again...way too many problems.

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried changing your DNS settings yet? That kept me stable prior to factory reset. 1.0.0.1., 1.1.1.1

Message 54 of 97
ntimbol
Aspirant

UPDATE: I am keeping my fingers crossed and don't want to jinx it but so far after I did the steps outlined below my RAX120 seemed to have held up longer than it has in the past week.

1. Did a factory reset using the pinhole method.

2. Set it up like an out of the box router.

3. Personalized my SSID and password.

4. Enabled Access Control and added all my IoT devices.

What I did NOT do:

1. Change the default DHCP info.

2. Rollback the firmware from 118.

3. Disable ax setting.

Not saying that this solution will work for everyone but hopefully it helps eliminate things that DO NOT work if it does not work in your case.  Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

Message 55 of 97
xuzhe
Aspirant

It seems  disable OFDMA is a workaround. 24hours without problem and keep watching...

Hope NETGEAR will fix the OFDMA problem in next update.

Message 56 of 97
bob93
Aspirant

I already tried disabling OFDMA with the up2date firmware (V1.0.1.118). First I thought it works, but it doesn't... Still dropping out... maybe after longer time, but in my case around 24h.

Message 57 of 97
additude
Virtuoso

I have a RAX120 with factory installed .114 since Octoberish 2019 and since that time I have only experienced two (Recently within the last two weeks) total lockups with my RAX120. I don't know why it locked up, but a power off reboot has restored the RAX120 to operational condition. Yesterday, the second lockup time, I physically moved the RAX120 to a slightly different location to receive what I consider better air-flow for cooling purposes.

Other than those two lockups, I have had no issues with my RAX120 and I have been completely satisfied with its performance.

I want to help out here so possibly what I have to say will be of some use for others.

My Wireless Settings are:

Enabled AX

Disabled OFDMA 2.4 & 5

2.4G:

Enabled SSID

Enabled 20/40 Coexistance

Channel Auto

Mode Up to 1147

5G

Channel 153

Mode Up to 4803 HT80

So, there are a couple of "fine" points to realize when doing a firmware upgrade or downgrade:

1. Do NOT use a saved configuration file created from a different version firmware to update settings in the new upgrade/downgrade. If FW versions are changed, manually entering all settings is the absolute best way. In other words, using a .114 configuration file to restore settings in a .118 upgrade is a recipe for disaster.

2. It would be considered "Good Practice" when upgrading/downgrading firmware to first do a factory reset, then do your upgrade/downgrade, then do another factory reset, then enter your settings manually. Doing such provides you the insurance of a "clean" upgrade/downgrade.

I know it sounds like a bit much, but if you are having problems, sometimes the finest of details can be salvation.

3. Do NOT locate your router, or any other "Wireless" device within 6ft. of each other. The farther apart wireless devices are from each other, the better. Isolate these devices from each other. "Extenders" and "Repeaters" should be as far apart as possible, 30ft, 40ft, etc.

5. Be sure that your router and equipment have adaquate air flow around them to prevent overheating. Don't "Stack" equipment on top of each other, heat rises and whichever equipment is higher on the stack will get hot air from below. 

6. Locate your wireless equipment so that it can freely and openly propagate its WiFi signal.

I hope this helps.

I am waiting to see if my RAX120 is going to lockup again after I relocated it....

Message 58 of 97
bob93
Aspirant

I solved my problem. I am using Intel AX200 for most of the devices connected to the RAX120. After constant dropouts even with AX mode turned off, I decided to step back and look at the AX200 settings again.

I decided to disbable the following features (below the settings I selected)

Packet Coalescing: Disabled

MIMO power save mode: No SMPS

Global BG scan blocking: Always

Roaming aggressiveness: Lowest

No disconnects required for >72h. For me, that should have been it... Also my Apple TV lost the dropouts... Don't know if that possible, but I don't care.

I highly suspect the MIMO power saving. However I did not try to reenable any of these features to see if the problem comes back as I don't need them. And I am happy now Smiley Happy

Message 59 of 97
israelrbb
Tutor

I just recently upgraded from the RAX80 to the RAX120 and it worked great for the first few nights. Then I did the upgrade to the latest firmware .122 and the next morning my WIFI drops started happening. 

I tried disabling AX, QOS and added the DNS servers, that didn't work.

I downgraded the firmware to the previous to .118 and did the factory reset yet my drops happened every 10 minutes to 30 minutes.

This is not good especially right now that I need it to work from home.

So I downgraded down to firmware .114 late last night and so far my connection has been stable. I haven't factory restored it yet, but it continues I will.

Here is what I have configured so far.

Fimware .114

AX enabled

QOS disabled

DNS servers configured 1.0.0.1 and 1.1.1.1

Message 60 of 97
israelrbb
Tutor

Spoke too soon, as I hit reply my wifi dropped. 

Message 61 of 97
israelrbb
Tutor

Looks like I finally fixed it.

I downgraded to fimrware .58, then I did a factory restore using the reset on the router. Followed by a forced firmware update to the latest firmware. 

Its been good since.

Message 62 of 97
tlkohler
Aspirant

Unfortunately a few days ago I joined this group.  Exact same symptoms ... continued repeated Wi-Fi drops on both bands that many times would drop then come back in waves requiring a router reboot only to start the process all over again. My wired connection stayed rock solid through all this.  No lie I was rebooting the router 20-30 times a day.  It seemed to all start after a firmware update to .122 (I was at the 118 hotfix and didn't seem to have issues).

I began dropping back sequentially in firmware versions followed by "pin" resets.  Right now I'm at firmware .114 and a factory restore using the reset on the router. I'm hoping I have finally gotten to a point where it is fixed.  I've been solid for the last 5 hours but I'm going to let it run through the night and see what tomorrow morning brings.  The wife will start her telecommute at 7 am.

I am not at all sure I want to follow up with a forced firmware update to the latest version again.  To say the least this has been to fiasco. 

Will reply again either way with an update ... fingers crossed

Message 63 of 97
Vmiyoshi
Aspirant

I'm having the same issues as many of you. 

Firmware - V1.0.1.118

I think where it get weird is when people start talking about browsers being the issue. 

I'm not seeing this issue being related to a certain browser. What I'm seeing is a problem with a few Apple devices on WiFi, which started at some point maybe a firmware version with this router. I'm only observing this is on my Apple TV 4K's and an old iPhone 8. My Android, smart home IoT devices, iPad's, Computers (Macbook Pros, Desktop, old HP Laptop), iPhone XR, iPhone 11 Pro Max, are all fine. 

To temporarily resolve the issue, all you have to do is disable WiFi and re-enable it on the device in question, or you can just reboot.

I also want to note just like other people have already noted. It doesn't appear to be an issue with the network, meaning the effected devices appear to still be able to communicate with other devices on the network, they just can get out to the internet. 

Here is something else I want to note  - When I first got this router (this one and the extender I forget the model number on that one). Which was around Black Friday 2019. On the early firmwares all my devices would have this same issue. Intranet, device to device communicate working fine, but Internet connectivity broken. When I would bring up the Nighthawk app on my iPhone it would show internet "offline." Rebooting the router would resolve it, I would have to do this maybe once or twice a week. 

As of this posting I show an upgrade option for the router in the iPhone App. I'm going to try upgrading the firmware (if thats what it's upgrade and see if the issue is resolved. 

Message 64 of 97
tlkohler
Aspirant

If I might enquire ... what was the version number of the firmware update?  My issues started pretty much right after I used the Nighthawk App to upgrade to version V1.0.1.122.

Message 65 of 97
PigletRider
Apprentice

I know this doesn't help in resolving the issue, but I upgraded from .118 to .122 using the app.  It was flawless.  The router (RAX120) has also been flawless.  There are a couple of quirks now with the app such as I can't change the icon on some of my connected devices.  The app wants to label my DirecTV boxes as desktop computers.  Then when I check again on another day, it's something different.  It gives me an error if I try and change the icon.  (The names I've selected for all of my devices are unaffected, its just the icons.)

Months ago I was in the same boat as everyone else.  I finally got it stable on .114.  I then had issues initially with .118 and I did multiple pin-hole resets and eventually got it solid.  I then upgraded to .122 and that has also been solid.

So I'm not letting Netgear off the hook.  There have just been too many issues, issues I've experienced myself.  But at some point, for me anyway, they all just went away once I got .118 solid.  No major issues since with the router with the exception of ReadyCloud.  If you don't care about ReadyCloud then it doesn't matter.

Message 66 of 97
tlkohler
Aspirant

Just a quick update ...  its been a little over a day and I've had 4 WiFi drops that I recognized.  While this is not great - it is a huge improvement over where I was 2 days ago.  After the wifes' telecommute today, I will perform one more pin reset and then leave the router set for another day.  If it seems "relatively" stable, which I'm defining as no more than a few resets if needed, I might try to upgrade to the hotfix firmware (118). 

I should add, during none of this did I change any of the routers settings other than the default login password and setting up the static IPs for those devices that I have installed as such.

Will advise as this progresses ...

Message 67 of 97
boojir01
Aspirant

I am having the same issue with my RAX120. I tried the method suggested by israelrbb to no avail. Interestingly, I have Comcast as my ISP too and everything had been working well until before the Covid lockdown had started. I now get at least 3-4 resets a day that are detected. 

Message 68 of 97
israelrbb
Tutor

Hey boojir01,

I actually did 4 firmware downgrades and 3 upgrades before it finally worked.

Downgraded .18 => reset with the pin, upgrade to .21
Dwongraded .14 => reset with the pin, upgrade to .21
Downgraded .08
Downgraded .05 => reset with a pin, upgrade to .21

Also I work for comcast what modem do you have?
Message 69 of 97
boojir01
Aspirant

Wow, quite elaborate! I guess I will have to try that. 

My modem is the netgear CM1200. Its my personal modem. Funny thing is, I never had any issues with the setup until about mid March, similar to the other reports on this thread. I wonder if the increased demand has had anything to do with all this. 

Message 70 of 97
boojir01
Aspirant

Did the multiple upgrades/downgrades and factory resets solve the problem? I am still having this issue and experiencing at least 3-4 restarts per day. Of course, as Murphy's law would have it, they seem to occur in the most inopportune times. 

Message 71 of 97
israelrbb
Tutor

It worked for me, I had no issues what so ever ever since the last reset and upgrade.

Message 72 of 97
DanDanPop
Initiate

I’ve had the same issue. My router is still under warranty so I called Netgear and they walked me through changing the channels and unchecking the “AX WiFi”. It improved but only for an hour. I’ll have to call again.
Message 73 of 97
Brijeshparihar
Aspirant

For me it has been so many challenges with this router in last 14 months and I am out of all warranty.
1. Random internet drop in wifi and wired connection.
2. Random restarts
3. Router stops responding

Roll back on firmware, different firmwares, factory reset works and then after 2-3 weeks same story.

I will lookout for class action now, worst product for that kind of money.
Goodbye to Netgear
Message 74 of 97
Tommy1981
Guide

Manually update firmware with a laptop. Do not use the Nighthawk or Genie app.

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

I started having the same problems. I will guide you through the initial steps of connecting your router to your laptop.

You may have to go to a friends house with internet.

1) I first disconnected my AX4 router from my modem and then restarted it.

2) Next I reset my AX4 nighthawk to factor settings by pushing the reset button (the small hole on the back). It takes a few minutes to restart. I held the button for 10 seconds then released it and this started the reset process.

3)Furthermore, I connected my laptop to my wifi connection (I used my old router. If you don't have a wifi connection, I recommend going to a friends house who has wifi).

3) Moreover, I connected my router, that is currently powered on with all of the LEDs green except of course the internet one, to my laptops ethernet port. Ethernet cable is in port 1 on the Nighthawk router.

You are now ready to continue with installing the firmware. See the link above. Start on step 2.

Message 75 of 97
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7