× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 constantly dropping WiFi until reset

conover1973
Aspirant

Just turned mine into a $500 access point. Ugh. Not happy! 

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 76 of 97
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Details are so important to help people understand your issues.

What steps have you taken to solve what ever issue you have?

Message 77 of 97
conover1973
Aspirant

Bought a different router. Problem solved. 

Message 78 of 97
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Why did not try to seek help?

Message 79 of 97
conover1973
Aspirant

All good. It works great as an access point. No more internet issues. Im a happy camper. 

Message 80 of 97
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

But what issues did you have, are you happy that you have a very expensive AP?

Message 81 of 97
conover1973
Aspirant

It keeps dropping internet. On both ports. Internet port and multi gig. My internet is all better, so yeah I'm happy. 

Message 82 of 97
Theaussiedon
Aspirant

Constantly dropping connection requiring me to re boot router 2 - 5 times a day. Have just reinstalled the latest firmware and now I can't access the internet from my home PC. I can however access it from wifi. Very very angry customer. Months with no fault and now this **bleep**.
Message 83 of 97
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Please perform a factory reset using the rear pin method, set up as new and do not use a saved config profile.

Message 84 of 97
DanDanPop
Initiate

@Newfiedrool wrote:

Please perform a factory reset using the rear pin method, set up as new and do not use a saved config profile.

Thank you!

Message 85 of 97
Glynco
Aspirant

Had terrible problems with dropping so I added both 5 and 2.4 guest options. It ain’t perfect but I get on the net now and speed is great. Hitting over 600 MBPS most of the time I can live with it!!
Message 86 of 97
Iconoclasm1790
Initiate

How has this been going on over a year and Netgear has still not fixed it? I called them and they just repeatedly told me it was my ISP’s fault. It’s ridiculous a “top of the line” router like this drops internet all the time. lol
Message 87 of 97
danielshaw007
Aspirant

I've just picked up one of these today and right out the box the 5ghz won't work. Has a red light on the advanced setting and won't let me enable it. This is with smart setup on or off. Seems like a very problematic router
Message 88 of 97
Killhippie
Prodigy

Have you factory reset it after it updated its firmware? 1.2.0.16 really needs that reset, if not try it, but if you have done that (it only takes a few minutes) its probably hardware, so not so much a troublesome router just bad luck if it is. Mine has been fine apart from a buggy QoS in the current firmware is bugged and is also basic, no dynamic QoS on this unit.

I hope you can factory reset the router and get it working or just exchange it. Also be aware a newer Revision 2 unit is coming out soon that will do up stream MU-MiIMO and UL OFDMA as well as TWT and BSS, the original unit canot do UL OFDMA or Upload MU-MIMO, so if you have not got a revison 2 (It will say on the box and it does 160Mhz not 80+80) then maybe wait for new stock.

Message 89 of 97
danielshaw007
Aspirant

Hi there, thanks for replying. I actually factory reset it via the pin last night and it's now working as expected. Seems I have the v1 but I got it at a steal and I don't think the v2 will benefit me yet.

Thanks
Message 90 of 97
JMarr
Aspirant

So I bought this about a year ago, to upgrade all my hardware, and have had issues with connectivity. At first, I blamed my ISP since it can’t be this $400 router. I had Spectrum come out over the next few months and change out ALL of the line to my home and in my home. I was still having issues. I decided to contact Amazon, since this is where I bought it and they redirected me to Netgear support. Gave them a call and got someone to help me (keep in mind, almost a year after purchase). Support helped me out and had me change channels and update some other things and it seems to work. After about an hour later, everything went down the toilet. Nothing was getting any type of internet. So, I reset the router to factory steering then called Netgear back a few days later since I figured this was working fine. When I got on the phone with support, they told me they couldn’t provide me any phone support because the 3-months phone period that they provide has expired and that I would have to purchase phone support in order to get help! Wtf?!?!? “What do you mean? I was just on the phone with tech support three days ago and they didn’t give this crap. They just made everything worse for me. Now, I have to pay you for a problem that you basically created?!?” After about 15 minutes of arguing with this person they told that they would do this one-time and provide me support. They transferred my call... expected hold time... 9 hours!!! Never been so furious in my life that I just hung up and contacted Amazon again. They’re doing an investigation into the situation and are going to refund me the price of the router. Been a pretty bad experience with Netgear. Don’t think I’ll buy a product from them again.
Message 91 of 97
conover1973
Aspirant

I had the same problem. Its the router for sure. I turned off the wifi and bought some access points. I havent had a problem since. Been up and running for 4 months with no connectivity issues. 

Message 92 of 97
oralsa33
Aspirant

The low speed thru stressed out is what I need assist identifying. Per your idea, I attempted three one-of-a-kind devices (laptops) wired to the router however the speeds nonetheless are low. I also attempted exclusive cables however no development.

Message 93 of 97

I have the RAX70 and was running fine for about 1 month up until about beginning of March. Then all of a sudden certain device lose wifi after a day or so and others are still OK and only way to get wifi back to those devices is to reboot router. It has happened to my cellphones and laptop but not my Amazon Echo's, HP printer, Direct TV receiver, or Samsung Smart TV as they continue to work just fine when this is happening.

Have been dealing with Netgear tech support for the last few days and nothing has been fixed, after many diffrent attempts, from multiple individuals and now waiting to hear back from them as 2 days has passed and were suppose to reach out to me already to send another router as this one is more than likely defective as everything they have tried does not work. Factory reset has been done multiple times, changed settings, changed modems 3 times with 2 diffrent types, was on latest update .88 and had me go back to .78 because supposedly after all else has been done, last yech said there are some known issues with the most current update being .88.
Message 94 of 97

Re: RAX70 constantly dropping WiFi until reset

I have the RAX70 and was running fine for about 1 month up until about beginning of March. Then all of a sudden certain device lose wifi after a day or so and others are still OK and only way to get wifi back to those devices is to reboot router. It has happened to my cellphones and laptop but not my Amazon Echo's, HP printer, Direct TV receiver, or Samsung Smart TV as they continue to work just fine when this is happening.

Have been dealing with Netgear tech support for the last few days and nothing has been fixed, after many diffrent attempts, from multiple individuals and now waiting to hear back from them as 2 days has passed and were suppose to reach out to me already to send another router as this one is more than likely defective as everything they have tried does not work. Factory reset has been done multiple times, changed settings, changed modems 3 times with 2 diffrent types, was on latest update .88 and had me go back to .78 because supposedly after all else has been done, last yech said there are some known issues with the most current update being .88.
Message 95 of 97
sethr2
Aspirant

My new RAX20 started the same thing the 1st day and continues on. The only thing on wifi when it happened was a Roku and my phone. All else is wired in. This garbage.
My R7800 does NOT do it. It has to be this router. Grrrr.
Message 96 of 97

So the last thing Netgear asked me to do was to do a factory reset and go to a previous version of firmware because they said that they have been having issues with the current one which is .88. It has been a little over 1 week since doing that and so far the internet has not dropped. We shall see if that fixes the issue. However if that is an issue with their latest firmware they need to fix it.
Message 97 of 97
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7