× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 drops high speed internet connection, but reboot restores it

jayman4x4
Aspirant

RAX120 drops high speed internet connection, but reboot restores it

I recently installed a RAX120 and it works great for about 18-24 hours then the connection speed drops off to super slow under 10mbps.  It is just the download speeds no the upload and my ISP plan is 400mbps downlaond and 25mbps upload.  When I reboot the router, the download speed is back to normal, then it runs at that rate for the 18-24 hours before dropping back down.

I'm running the latest firmware and everything is configured right.  I've tried dropping WMM, not using QOS, and other things but still have the same results.... works great for a bit then drops off.

Is the router bad?  Is it a firmeware thing?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
kermitWyo
Aspirant

Jayman4x4...

I have approximately the same setup as you do and I haven’t been able to get close to my 400M down connection speed yet through the RAX120... I can get 80-100 down on good days. So I’d say you are ahead of the game!! Lol.... Oddly my upload is right on or above my 20M plan. It is just the download side that sucks. I have done the same TSing as you... still no improveent - even with a reboot. I’m geting frustrated as hell with this router. I had a faster, more reliable network with my WRT1900AC router...

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
Redtulips7
Luminary

@jayman4x4 wrote:

I recently installed a RAX120 and it works great for about 18-24 hours then the connection speed drops off to super slow under 10mbps.  It is just the download speeds no the upload and my ISP plan is 400mbps downlaond and 25mbps upload.  When I reboot the router, the download speed is back to normal, then it runs at that rate for the 18-24 hours before dropping back down.

I'm running the latest firmware and everything is configured right.  I've tried dropping WMM, not using QOS, and other things but still have the same results.... works great for a bit then drops off.

Is the router bad?  Is it a firmeware thing?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

No but probably FW needs to mature, NG usualy take forever to update FW!!! Make sure to reset [Erase] after the FW update then enter your setting manually, did you run the Test wired or wireless? Try different Server as well as different Websites to run Test.

Message 2 of 6
Redtulips7
Luminary

Message 3 of 6
jayman4x4
Aspirant

I'm testing within the Nighthawk app which connects back to the hardware itself.  I can get 480 on a 400 connection there for 18-24 hours then it drops down but upload stays hgh.  Typically, I'll then try hardwired on the pc connected via cat7 network cable and get the same measured result when it is running slow.  I get near the same low speed running the speedtest app on my iphone connected to the 5ghz wifi too.  A reboot of the router makes everything cruise at 480 again.

Message 4 of 6
kermitWyo
Aspirant

Jayman4x4...

I have approximately the same setup as you do and I haven’t been able to get close to my 400M down connection speed yet through the RAX120... I can get 80-100 down on good days. So I’d say you are ahead of the game!! Lol.... Oddly my upload is right on or above my 20M plan. It is just the download side that sucks. I have done the same TSing as you... still no improveent - even with a reboot. I’m geting frustrated as hell with this router. I had a faster, more reliable network with my WRT1900AC router...

Message 5 of 6
jayman4x4
Aspirant

Decided to return router to the store as I can get it to work correctly.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7