× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 incompatible with RTL8821 wifi?

thud
Follower

RAX120 incompatible with RTL8821 wifi?

So i live with a bunch of room mates in a single story home. We all use the RAX120 router for wifi access. all get 5 bars and good single throughout the house.

However one room mate using a oneplus 7+ phone and an HP pavilion laptop has a horrible wifi connection even when they are in the kitchen (closest area to the router). I am a IT tech type so i did my best to troubelshoot her laptop. She is using a RTL8821 wifi in her HP pavilion laptop.

ping times and latency is horrible 150+ms with packet loss. speedtest.net often does not finish and says socket errors check firewall.

I had her try 2.4ghz and 5ghz. same issue.  We have a att fiber connection here so i enabled the att wifi on the modem and she connects to that without any problems.

Is the RAX120 incompatible with certain wifi devices? This is really disappointing as a lot people work from home and need reliable wifi.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: RAX120 incompatible with RTL8821 wifi?

RTL8821/22 are pretty wonky WiFi adapters. Realtek is constantly releasing driver updates (including new embedded code) to fix issues. Head to HP support site and fetch the latest RTL drivers for this HP Pavilion system. The ones offered on the Realtek site and probably distributed globally via Windows update are very likey hopelessly outdated.

While the Wi-Fi 6 radios are backward compatible, many adapters used to or are still struggling over additional information coming from the Wi-Fi 6 systems or from Mesh-like systems where Radio Resource Management and other stuff comes into the game. Popular example were (and sometimes still are because of the vendor and/or generic Windows update supplied code is hopelessly outdated) the Intel Wi-Fi adapters which don't even "see" the Wi-Fi 6 SSIDs unless operating on current drivers.

@thud wrote:

Is the RAX120 incompatible with certain wifi devices?

No, it's typically the other way round.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7