× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 is dead -- does NOT fully support 802.11ax

duckware
Prodigy

RAX120 is dead -- does NOT fully support 802.11ax

Read the fine print.

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/wifirouter/RAX120.pdf

"This router does not support some of the mandatory features ratified in Draft 3.0 of IEEE 802.11AX specification, such as Uplink OFDMA, Target Wake Time, and BSS Coloring. "

Message 1 of 13
schumaku
Guru

All three features* listed are additions to 802.1ax specs but deferred to wave 2 release. Without re-reading the paperwork, I think it should be "TWT Target Wait Time".

If your destination making pre-standard released devices bad please wait for at least 2021 or 2022 when 802.11ax wave 2 will be fixed and readily available.

Please also note that many 802.11ac devices in the market don't support 802.11ac wave 2 features. So figure.... 

Message 2 of 13
IrvSp
Master

Well, it seems NG has sort of covered that with the prior statement:

============

Maximum wireless signal rate derived from IEEE 802.11 specifications. Actual data throughput and wireless coverage will vary and may be lowered by network and environmentalconditions, including network traffic volume and building construction. NETGEAR makes no representations or warranties about this product's compatibility with future standards. This router does not support some of the mandatory features ratified in Draft 3.0 of IEEE 802.11AX specification, such as Uplink OFDMA, Target Wake Time, and BSS Coloring.

============

Since this will not really be 'formalized until 3rd quarter this year, buying it now 'trusts' NG to update it as more Draft approvals (#3 what the last approved in July I think?) are made, and MAKE the required changes.

Wonder if this is the reason for the 'Beta' program that runs 90 days (https://www.netgear.com/landings/premier/)? Put in place just in case the UNIT has to be replaced to handle the newer Draft?

Message 3 of 13
microchip8
Master

This model is still based on a draft. These features may be added later (if possible with firmware release)

Message 4 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Check the timeline of the releases Status of Project IEEE 802.11ax High Efficiency (HE) Wireless LAN Task Group - ways off from final.

Message 5 of 13
microchip8
Master

I don't think ASUS does it any better with their AX88U model

Message 6 of 13
IrvSp
Master

@microchip8 wrote:

This model is still based on a draft. These features may be added later (if possible with firmware release)

That is always the gamble with early adoptor's. Both the maker and buyer... you 'hope' the chipset/planar will support any new draft changes or requirements. If they do, great. If they don't, what to do? Chipset problem, well does the vendor of the chipset even have a replacement and drivers/code for the final released 802.11 version, and if so, how long to get it? Now how to 'push' that out to purchased h/w by end-users. Even if there is a required code change, how long to get that 'bug free' after the final release.

On top of that, this is more tricky, 3 parts actually, biggest the chipset maker if code/drivers are needed, then the router vendor incorporating that into the router firmware, and lastly, a client device with the same problem set if bought pre-final release.

I think I'll wait, but not everyone will/does.

Message 7 of 13
microchip8
Master

They push out improved models (with better conforming chipsets) on the draft by calling it v2 or v3. I have NG switches that are at version v4

Message 8 of 13
duckware
Prodigy

> This model is still based on a draft. These features

> may be added later (if possible with firmware release)

It is not right for Netgear to place "This router does not support..." in the fine print of a spec sheet that virtually no one will see.

duckware.jpg

Message 9 of 13
duckware
Prodigy

"Both downlink and uplink OFDMA are mandatory features for 802.11ax (although it seems likely that pre-standard equipment from some vendors will omit uplink OFDMA)."

Message 10 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Useless quote - provide reference. Source is probably one of these many blah-blah Web sites according to my Google search.

At the risk of repeating: Some features are indeed part of the standard, this includes a field for uplink OFDMA, however it's usage and availability is deferred to 802.1ax wave 2. 

You aparently still don't understand the processes going on with the standardization TGs and the industry developing and delivering early access pre-standard hardware. Jumping on new technologies is a game - for the chipset makers, for the product makers, and for the customers. 

How many products in the field are fully supporting all 802.11ac features (wave 1 and wave 2)? And we're well in the year 2019 already.

Message 11 of 13
duckware
Prodigy

1) Netgear is saying that is a mandatory feature in Draft 3.0.

2) https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/wp/WP_802.11AX.pdf has a table that places that feature in "wave 1", and splits out mandatory and optional features.

Message 12 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Time will show which features the Wi-Fi Alliance will include in their interoperability testing requirements - further more, I'm convinced the fully standard coverage will take far more time ...

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7