× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 question about wan/multigig

humblealpha
Initiate

RAX120 question about wan/multigig

Hello, I have just upgraded my broadband speed to 1GB+ with expected speeds around 1150mb/s. 

I was looking into getting a router that would support speeds of over 1gb. 

I saw that the RAX120 has a 2.5gb ethernet port, I also have a 2.5gb port on my desktop so I was hoping to get the full speed available. 

My main worry is that I read somewhere that the wan port is only a standard gigabit port. So what would be the point of the a 2.5g port if the main wan port itself is only standard gigabit? 

Sorry if it's a stupid question, just trying to work out the best way I can maximize speed over ethernet for my PC. Have I got this mixed up? Never had to look into stuff like this before. 

Thanks so much

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX120 question about wan/multigig

Problem with a lot of these devices are only having a single 2.5/5g port on them. 

But most that have that option, also support wan/lan port aggregation. 

so you can either use it with wan port aggregation to get the speed gig+ and then connect devices to the 2.5g port. 

Or you can use the 2.5g for the wan port and the lan aggregation for the computer. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Problem with a lot of these devices are only having a single 2.5/5g port on them. 

But most that have that option, also support wan/lan port aggregation. 

so you can either use it with wan port aggregation to get the speed gig+ and then connect devices to the 2.5g port. 

Or you can use the 2.5g for the wan port and the lan aggregation for the computer. 

Message 2 of 3
humblealpha
Initiate

Thank you, I ended up going with a router that has multiple multigig ports and can use one for wan and for lan. Not as many features as RAX120 or RAX 200 but I only really need one for ethernet anyway as all main devices are wired.  

Didn't think I would have had gigabit internet so soon but glad i'm now future proof upto 2.5gb/s and should be able to get max speeds. 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7