× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 repeatedly reboots

fcano42
Guide

RAX120 repeatedly reboots

Router repeatedly reboots.  Had FW 1.0.1.108 (i recall) and now 1.0.1.122 and still the same issue.  Wrote a little perl script to ping the router and report when it is not where.  I see that it goes down and I check the up time and sure enough, it rebooted.  Brings the house to a halt when it does.

Anyone else with simllar situation?  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 43
dcinca
Apprentice

I got one router reboot today, and I also noticed twice wifi signals reboot recently. I checked the logs.

Not very often. 

Message 2 of 43
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi fcano42 and dcinca, 

May you try performing a factory reset and running through the setup assistant again.

Christian 

Message 3 of 43
Bry2001
Initiate

I am having the same issue, router is rebooting randomly over the last few days. I am on 1.0.1.122

Is this a firmware issue?
Message 4 of 43
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Bry2001,

Have you had a chance to perform a factory reset and run through the setup assistant again?

Christian 

Message 5 of 43
Bry2001
Initiate

Yes hasn’t helped.
Message 6 of 43
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Bry200 - Thanks for confirming. May you revert to the previous firmware version and let me know if your issue persists. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061718/RAX120-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-118-Hot-Fix

Christian 

Message 7 of 43
dcinca
Apprentice

I reverted to 118, no reboot for 4 weeks. 

I only noticed wifi signal drops from my phone for 1-2 sec, about twice a day. But no drops from my computer. It's maybe caused by the phone wifi chip compatibility.

Message 8 of 43
terencemok
Aspirant

I tried to revert to 118 hotfix, and we had 2 reboots today. 

Message 9 of 43
Cockney
Apprentice

Router Firmware Version V1.0.2.136

From the logs:

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Thursday, December 10, 2020 09:20:40

[Internet connected] IP address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, Thursday, December 10, 2020 09:20:32
[Initialized, firmware version: V1.0.2.136] Thursday, December 10, 2020 09:20:29
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Sunday, December 06, 2020 12:38:12
[Internet connected] IP address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, Sunday, December 06, 2020 12:38:10
[Initialized, firmware version: V1.0.2.136] Sunday, December 06, 2020 12:38:10

Reboots about every 4 days and resets the logs. I'm having the logs sent to me every hour.
Message 10 of 43
Cockney
Apprentice

So I have a 12 month warranty on my Router. I call to invoke that warranty and they tell me I have to take out a support contract so they can check the hardware. Extortion?

Message 11 of 43
Daskarzine
Tutor

Same issue, has started continually rebooting - 5th time today

Message 12 of 43
Killhippie
Prodigy

If you are running 1.2.0.16 roll back to a previous firmware, the current release is a hot mess, better still grab a Asus AX router. Soon a version 2 RAX 120 will be released with more functionality as it has a upgraded chipse anyway. The v2 will support OFDMA on both down and uplink, something the original router will never do.

Message 13 of 43
Cockney
Apprentice

I now have a RAX120v2 if that's what you mean.  The issue is the same, no change.  I've tried different back revisions of the firmware but the issue remains.

Message 14 of 43
Killhippie
Prodigy

Have you factory reset the unit and NOT used a backup to restore it. I have never had this issue so it must be something unique to your set up. Its not known for phantom reboots, mine has been up for over a month happily for a year and a bit just interupted by firmware updates, but I always factory reset and manually add my details without a config file and turn auto update off and only update from the routers menu.

Have you changed any of the standard settings and do you make sure its set to 0 on timeout in internet settings and always on as well then press apply? By default, its set to go into a sleep after 5 minutes of no activity in whats called dial up mode. That would make it appear to crash but in fact its just asleep. 

Message 15 of 43
Cockney
Apprentice

Yes I have done a reset and manual config.  Many times.  I went throiugh this with Netgear support.  They RMA'd the unit but the problem still exists.  So yes the issue is something unique to my setup, but what?  What makes a router locked solid and need a power cycle?

As for you suggection about timeout, I have no idea where the setting you're talking about is.  There is no timeout in basic or advanced internet settings. There is no setting in the debug section either.

Message 16 of 43
theqwert
Aspirant

I'm having the exact same issue with my RAX75 - all ethernet ports reboot randomly sometimes multiple times in less than a minute, even after a full router reset. The only non-default setting I have is to set IPv6 to auto from off.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 17 of 43
mudbone
Apprentice

I own a RAX120 version one as my main router and another RAX120 version two as an AP. I have been having problems with both routers since I got them and they have been factory reset multiple times and are running firmware version V1.2.0.16. Last Tuesday both stopped working and rebooting them did not work. I had to factory reset them both and put all the settings back in manually. What a pain right in the middle of the work day so that affected two peoples jobs. After that they both worked for almost a week until yesterday when the AP rebooted while I was at work but disrupted my wifes work. Today it rebooted twice so far.

What I noticed last week was that both routers tried to update the firmware (to the same version) when they failed. I thought I had inactivated the auto update feature but for sure they are now and they did not try to update the firmware yesterday or today. I think that is what caused be to have to factory reset them again. I am not sure just reporting what I am seeing. Pretty disappointed so far and honestly I think it is all software related. Bugs happen, I get it because I am a programmer. However when they happen they should be fixed. The last firmware update was in December 2020. When is the next version coming out to correct these problems?  

Message 18 of 43
Cockney
Apprentice

Good luck with those.  After having a toicket open for 5 months and no sucess, I gave up and bouight a TP-Link router.  Been running for months now with no issues.  What a difference.  I will never buy NG again due their lousy support.

Message 19 of 43
mudbone
Apprentice

Well I am starting to agree. The specs on these things are awesome and they work good when they are working but the reliability has to be there too. I had two R7000's before this and had issues with the firmware on them too. They didn't get it right (mostly) until last year then one of them burnt up after almost 7 years of use. I am sure this stuff is hard to program but they need to put more resources into the firmware on these routers. A stable version should have been out when the units went on sale. I will never recommend Netgear again unless they fix the problems I am having. I have almost $800 in these routers.

Message 20 of 43
mudbone
Apprentice

Ok I think I incorrectly interpreted the logs from last weeks router failures. I had taken pictures of them before factory resetting both routers and they match the log below that I just found in my AP router after it dropped the WiFi around 5 PM today. So I don't think it was attempting to update the firmware now. I am going to call support and see what they say. I am now wanting to return it to Netgear. I do not want a refurbished router. I want this one to work.  

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Tuesday, May 04, 2021 17:02:44
[Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.1.23, Tuesday, May 04, 2021 17:02:38
[Initialized, firmware version: V1.2.0.16] Tuesday, May 04, 2021 17:02:35

Message 21 of 43
Chichizola
Star

Well you can make with your time and sanity what you want. I have been on this road with Netgear Customer products. Over the years, I have had three types of these routers, they look good on paper, but never deliver what they promise. I got to three strikes and they are out with them. Never again.

I wish I had stopped with the first strike, I would have saved a lot of time and agravation with their "technical" support. "Technical" is use very losely here.

Message 22 of 43
LooseSpruce
Initiate

I just bought a new RAX120v2 router and hooked it up yesterday.  It has the latest firmware 1.2.1.22.  All works great until it reboots about every hour!  Drops all wifi connections and reboots.  Nothing in the log ever says why it did the reboot.  I have it connected to CentryLink DSL modem as the Internet source.  I'll check the DHCP lease time on it tonight.  I had the Nighthawk set with a static IP to the DSL modem as well, and now back to DHCP.  It's very frustrating as I had a Nighthawk D7000 before without an issue.  But if this new Router RAX120v2 has no fix for it rebooting every hour then it's going right back to Amazon. 

Message 23 of 43
Cockney
Apprentice

Send it back.  You'll never fix it.  Netgear couldn't fix mine in over four months, including a replacement.  Just my 2c.

Message 24 of 43
Finckster
Initiate

Mine too, it reboots at random.  I have plugged it sraight into the wall, factory reset it like 4 times and sent it back for a replacment.  got the new replacment and same story it too reboots.  but today got a firmware update V1.2.2.24  lets see if this works.  otherwise I will send this back and get a completley different model/Brand.

Message 25 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7