× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 spontaneously disabled wifi & router password

coyote3
Guide

RAX120 spontaneously disabled wifi & router password

My RAX120's wifi and router password (including the default password "password") suddenly stopped working.

So I reset the router password (with the serial number); when I then tried restoring the router config the reset password didn't work either, so...

I reset the router password again and turned on the wifi and all seemed well. And all settings were preserved so I didn't really need to restore the router config but I tried anyway and again couldn't login so had to reset the password again. Once I did the wifi was already enabled.

So having learned that (the un-needed restore wouldn't work) I backed up and then tried to restore the brand new router config. That worked AOK, so now I have a restorable backup config.

However, I'm still concerned that somehow my RAX120 spontaneously turned off it's wifi and decided not to recognize my (or the default) password. Seems like a bug, so I fould myself irritated that I'm a week past the puny 90-day phone support period, I couldn't talk to Netgear free.

Thankfully I'm not past the 1-year Warranty yet, but I'm tempted to exercise it, particularly if this happens again.

Current f/w v1.0.0.84

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello coyote3 - Curious to know if the issue reoccurred. Feel free to update the thread with any updates. 

~Christian 

Message 2 of 14
coyote3
Guide

Thank you kindly for asking, Christian!

The issue hasn't recurred (yet; all was well for 97 days until the first occurrance).

I will not fail to update this thread if it does recurr (both for the community, and for myself [forum threads are also useful simply for documenting one's own situation]).

Message 3 of 14
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi coyote3 - Thanks for getting back so soon! Feel free to reach out if I can be of any assistance. 

~Christian 

Message 4 of 14
coyote3
Guide

I discovered how to replicate(ish) the issue.

(I remembered that the first time, it started after I very very gently moved the router from one spot on a shelf to another. Instead of doing this, today my experiment was to give the router a very very gentle /shake/. Just a bit, really, just gently as to to approximate the original gentle repositioning. Then I made sure all cables were firmly connected...)

This time the issue was expressed a little differently. First I noticed that I had no Internet connection. Not just to computers connected by ethernet, but also for my wifi devices (which this time remained on wifi, but with no Internet).

So I turned off and rebooted, in order, my cablemodem, my RAX120, and then my computers. Still no Internet. So I logged into my RAX120 (this time not just the settings but the password also persisted), and found Internet wasn't connected; so right when I got in on the Basic tab I clicked the (IIRC) Red "Internet not connected" button and it connected after a couple minutes.

So. I think something is loose inside, and was when I got it because it's nothing I did, I treat my devices with ridiculous gentleness. I hope I can get Netgear to send me a new one then send this lemon back (since my last router died).

Message 5 of 14
coyote3
Guide

p.s.  Wow this is frustrating; when I called for an RMA, because it's a "Premium Product" they need to transfer me to "Premium Support"; they've been trying to transfer me for 2 hours now and I'm losing hope.  They also seem flumoxed by the unorthodoxy of my ('something lose inside') issue and seem unwilling to not run through a canned set of (thus irrelevant) troubleshooting steps.

Message 6 of 14
coyote3
Guide

Wow this is weird.  (Now it's 4 hours after I got on the phone with Netgear Warranty Support, and...)

A Level 2 Support rep phoned me back and let me grab a beta firmware V1.0.1.89; now when I jostle the router the issue does not replicate!

(And beause I am so astonished that flashing any firmware could resolve an issue I had been able to replicate by jostling, I jostled/shook the router quite firmly for a good while.  And will make sure to again from time to time over the 250 days remaining under warranty.)

In my lifetime as an IT Pro this is one of the weirdest device troubleshooting episodes I've ever had.

Message 7 of 14
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello coyote3, 

Thank you for the updates. Glad to hear you were able to get in contact with support and grab a beta firmware. How's the router doing so far? Looking forward to hearing more updates on this!

~Christian 

Message 8 of 14
coyote3
Guide

Thanks for asking Christian.  I just went over to it and shook it all around, and it's still working.

Can anyone think of a reason that a non-hardware (in this case, firmware) solution could resolve an issue I had been able to replicate by jostling the device?  (I'm incredulous, and resultingly anxious about this fix.)

Message 9 of 14
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello coyote3 - We have not seen similar reports as yours. However, I am as curious as you are and would definitely like to hear back in the following days/weeks on the status of your router. 

~Christian 

Message 10 of 14
coyote3
Guide

I find myself shaking it a bit a couple times a day, and will probably keep doing so until the 1-year warranty expires!

At which time I will absolutely report back if all is still AOK.  Or report back here immediately if the issue ever returns.

Other than shaking it, I'm trying not to think about what seems mystifyingly like an impossible solution.  I'm also trying to not be too frustrated with the 4 hours on the phone with Netgear Warranty Support; even before this unbelievable resolution, I understand it's not even an issue they usually hear or have a canned script to go by.

p.s.  They made me agree to not share the beta firmware...but I think I'm at liberty to say that they said this beta has helped RAX120 owners experiencing dropouts (none of which were from them physically jostling it)(my issue wasn't exactly "dropouts").

p.p.s.  My perplexed-anxiety around this issue causes me to reflect upon the foldable "wings" on the RAX120 and be a bit concerned about the robustness of this device (I bought for $500 on it's first day on sale, because my previous router's wifi had died weeks before).

Message 11 of 14
Surfndez
Aspirant

Having same issue, but without moving it around. Tried a various number of configurations to see if it fixed the issue (maybe other signal sources causing problems) no luck.

Finally did a hard reset. Worked for 12+ hours, then same issue returned. Password gets wiped at router, particularly on 2.4GHz band, failed to get ip and or will not connect, and internet/no internet fluctuation often.

I'm a developer on the side, so tech savy, tried fixes on modem side as well. Not sure if this is firmware issue.

Dez
Message 12 of 14
Surfndez
Aspirant

Did not read last post fully. Guess it is the firmware.
Message 13 of 14
coyote3
Guide

FYI my RAX120 has subsequently upgraded itself to beta firmware Version V1.0.1.90

and still no issue.  Good luck Surfndez!

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7