× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 v2 - internet connection dropped once almost every week

DannyLin
Apprentice

RAX120 v2 - internet connection dropped once almost every week

So I got a brand new RAX120v2 via the RMA after my RAX120 was confirmed dead.

Have used the RAX120v2 for about 2 weeks and it's updated to the latest firmware.

One of the issues that I observed on the new RAX120v2 is that, the internet connection was dropped likely once almost every week. This is never happened on my previous RAX120 -- with previous firmware for sure.

Not sure if this is a firmware issue but it happens to me twice (yesterday the 2nd time) in 2 weeks. I will have to reboot to get my internet connection back to normal. Not sure why.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX120 v2 - internet connection dropped once almost every week

What modem/gateway are you connected to? 

When it drops, what actually happens? Do devices say "connected, no internet". Does the wifi stop broadcasting? Does it broadcast but devices can't connect? Do wired devices have issues or just wireless? The more details you tell us, the better we can help 

Message 2 of 11
DannyLin
Apprentice

It is connected to my ADSL modem, like my previous Rax120.

I actually notice its disconnection when I’m watching a movie on Netflix. When it drops, the movie stops with a connection error message from Netflix. I tried launching the other apps like Facebook and YouTube and realized it was disconnected.

I checked the Rax120v2; the LEDs seem to be displayed correctly - meaning there are no issues. But my wireless connection through the Rax120v2 was dropped.

I don’t have a wired device at my place, so I guess at least the wireless connection was dropped.

Power off and then power on the Rax120v2; everything went to normal after it was booted.

By the way, I'm connecting through the 5G.

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

what adsl modem? Most are combo devices and can cause a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 4 of 11
DannyLin
Apprentice

It is an ADSL modem offered by my ISP here in Taiwan. And I’m connecting my Rax120v2 just like I connect my Rax120. So I’m sure there’s no issue with what it is connecting to.

But I’ll try the options you’ve provided. Since it drops without anything triggering it, it will be hard to reproduce. Maybe I’ll leave it there and see when it will disconnect again.
Message 5 of 11
SkippyNL
Guide

Hi,

I have the same issue. For me it's when i'm downloading some larger files. Also, the Router just completely reboots and it also clears out the log file. The source of download is not the problem for i've tried a few different things, and it goes alright for some a few minutes but then just goes down and the router reboots. My friend actually has the same router, and is actually experiencing the exact same phenomenon. 

Personally I believe it's a firmware issue and it's got something to do with either throttling or the way it uses it's memory.

Best regards,

Skipp

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

RAX120 v2 users, please make contact with the forum moderator here as they have a beta FW being made available for those having reboot issues with these routers:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/RAX120-V2-Constant-Random-Reboots/...

Good Luck. 

Message 7 of 11

Hi @DannyLin ,

你有印象你的5G channel是設定多少嗎? 有時候DFS channel可能被雷達打到而跳channel,導致wifi不穩定。

或是你可以把RAXE120v2設定成AP mode,有時候double NAT可能會有些不確定因素存在,謝謝。

Message 8 of 11
DannyLin
Apprentice

Yep, I know about the 5G channel.

My current setting is 149+153(P)+157+161. I did a 5G channel scan, and not so many are in use by my neighbors. Most of them are using 2.4G.

This looks to me more of a firmware issue as there's no such issue on my previous RAX120 on 5G (set to channel 153 too).

One another very interesting thing is that my RAX120v2 is set to Region: North American, and I cannot alter this setting via the dashboard, which is weird to me. 

Message 9 of 11
Abrolino
Aspirant

Hi everybody

I have the same problem and it appears randomly.

In my case I have implemented option 3. suggested by @plemans. (3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features).

The Netgear has been in operation since Jan 1, 2022, at first I had a few occasional issues, but for the past month it has been very frequent. I notice it 1 or 2 times a week.

I've been using it professionally, and these issues are a serious operational problem for me.

Have you been able to fix anything?

Have a nice day

Message 10 of 11

@Abrolino wrote:

The Netgear has been in operation since Jan 1, 2022, at first I had a few occasional issues, but for the past month it has been very frequent. I notice it 1 or 2 times a week.

I've been using it professionally, and these issues are a serious operational problem for me.

Have you been able to fix anything?

The problem is that one symptom can have different causes. So without knowing anything about your issue, beyond the subject on a message fro six months ago, we know nothing about your system or what is happening.

You have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

If you do decide to ask a question, you should provide more details and your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide. For example, as this is a router, it helps to know what modem you are using and the various things that you have tried to fix the problem. The firmware version also helps.

You can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7