× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 vs RAX120v2: what's the difference?

Deal
Tutor

RAX120 vs RAX120v2: what's the difference?

I just purchased the RAX120 to replace an old reliable R8500 and was looking at the support information for the RAX120 when I found out there is an RAX120v2. Disappointed to find that since I just bought the router. I thought maybe the improvements are to areas I don't care about, but I cannot find any information comparing the 2 routers so I can understand the difference. Anyone know the difference between the 1st and 2nd hardware versions of the RAX120?

TIA

David

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
vinniemac
Luminary

Updated chipset

Most distinct differences are support for...

1. UL OFDMA
2. TWT (Target Wake Time)

Other than that it shares the same Firmware base as RAX120.

Of course the RAX120v2 will supersede the RAX120 but if the above features aren't important to you then your RAX120 should be fine.

I still have my RAX120.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

I believe the V2 uses the new version of the Qualcomm Hawkeye chip so it may support UL OFDMA this is then up to NG to implement.

I think February will be when you see the V2 but to be honest I can't say if you will see any difference, only time will tell.

QoS is what I would prefer to see sorted, it's not great as it stands sadly.

Message 2 of 9
Topology
Virtuoso

FYI:  A data sheet describing the RAX120v2 is available, and the specifications appear to be the same as the original RAX120.

Message 3 of 9
vinniemac
Luminary

Updated chipset

Most distinct differences are support for...

1. UL OFDMA
2. TWT (Target Wake Time)

Other than that it shares the same Firmware base as RAX120.

Of course the RAX120v2 will supersede the RAX120 but if the above features aren't important to you then your RAX120 should be fine.

I still have my RAX120.
Message 4 of 9
Topology
Virtuoso

To clarify, are the UL OFDMA and TWT capabilities of the updated chipset actually operational in the the RAX120v2? Thank you.

Message 5 of 9
vinniemac
Luminary

Sorry I do not know if the above 2 capabilities are Enabled out of the box on the RAX120v2, only that the chipset supports them.

I can however find out because it is important information for anyone looking to purchase just based on these features.

V1.2.0.16 is the latest Firmware for both units and if I recall this firmware was released before the release of the RAX120v2. That does not mean though that the firmware already enables these capabilities when the firmware is loaded on to the RAX120v2.

Cheers

Message 6 of 9
Topology
Virtuoso

@vinniemac, FYI:  The NETGEAR download center provides the identical firmware file (1.2.0.16), whether the router model is specified as RAX120 or RAX120v2.  In addition, I see no reference to UL OFDMA and TWT in the product documentation for the RAX120v2.

Please share the results of your investigation into the question of whether these two capabilities are in fact operational on the RAX120v2.  (Thank you.)

Message 7 of 9
vinniemac
Luminary

RAX120 and RAX120v2 as I've mentioned share the same Firmware.

Engineering have mentioned its likely only UL OFDMA will be available out of the box.

The important thing is RAX120v2 does support both features. It's an updated chipset of course.

I cannot give any more information of when the features will be enabled, if they aren't already because I don't know this. I don't want to make any assumptions and give false consumer advice.

The thing with datasheets is if a feature is not available out of the box then it won't be listed but in case of RAX120v2 it's basically the RAX120 datasheet used.

Sorry I cannot be of more help to definitively answer your question.
Message 8 of 9
Killhippie
Prodigy

From what I was told from Netgear it has no consumer differences from the RAX120, so I dont think it will get UL OFDMA or TWT, even the RAX80 has not got them still from what I know. Its a shame as the RAX120v1 and v2 are powerful routers that were never truly realised. Also its a silent update not a major new version. The Asus AX88U has the same chipset as the RAX80 and is certified by the wifi alliance on revision 1.1, tbh thats probably the better router to aim for unless you can hold out for the RAXE500 which is blisteringly expensive at this time in the states. ($600)

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7