× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120

arthurbeg
Aspirant

RAX120

Just bought a brand new rax120 from bestbuy previously had the rax80 both routers seem to cap out at 300mbps when i have gig speeds. tried everything and nothing helped. are these routers just horrible or do they actually work anyone?
Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

1. What modem is it connected to? 

2. What firmware is on it? 

3. Try enabling IPv6

4. something to try? If you just bought it, it probably just got a bunch of updates. Try a factory reset and run it with basically stock settings. Don't enable qos, traffic monitoring, parental controls, armor. See what speeds you get straight from the factory. 

It should run gigabit. 

5. Also check the website you're testing with. not all can saturate gigabit. Try speedtest.xfinity.com   or dslreports.com

6. What device are you testing on? Make sure you're testing over wired connections and not wireless. 

Message 2 of 13
arthurbeg
Aspirant

it’s connected to a cm1200 modem, i’ve tried to run with it’s cat5e wire, cat6 wire and cat7 wires all with the same results. wired connection is the same. wired straight from the modem gets me the speeds i need. it’s on the latest version 122 i have tried downgrading to 118 and another one i can’t remember. got those numbers straight out the box for 2 days before messing with it. i’ve ran on fast.com, speedtest.net and cox’s speedtest with the same results
Message 3 of 13
arthurbeg
Aspirant

I’ve ran the test on 4 different iphones and 3 different laptops. 3 of the iphone have ax and 1 of the laptops has ax as well
Message 4 of 13
plemans
Guru

Are you running link aggregation? 

if so, disableit. Its been problematic for all manufacturers with consumer devices. Sadly

After you changed firmwares, did you factory reset? 

Message 5 of 13
arthurbeg
Aspirant

don’t have that on. i haven’t performed a factory reset after firmware changes. that’ll be my to do today. i’m also getting a cat8 wire in today so we’ll see if that does anything. also when i run the speedtest in the nighthawk app or the qos portion of the settings it says 600- 800mbs but no where else can i get that
Message 6 of 13
plemans
Guru

Try the reset as well as leaving those other settings disabled. 

Message 7 of 13
dcinca
Apprentice

Try reset the router and do a fresh setup.

This is my setup:

Firmware .122
Enable AX
Enable OFDMA both 2.4ghz and 5ghz
5G channel 44
HT80 or HT160

Enable MU-MIMO

QoS: Enable WMM both both 2.4ghz and 5ghz

Dont't plug anything to USB

try it to see if it works.

Message 8 of 13
arthurbeg
Aspirant

have the exact same settings on a fresh fractory reset.After further testing i found out just about every server on speedtest was running 300mbps except for 2 out of the 20 i went through, bluespan and sprint with those i was able to see 650mbps. Got my cat8 wire helped those jump up to 700mbps then got a rgb11 wire for the router and that bumped me up to a consistent 750mbps on my iphone. Only issue is sometimes for long periods of time those speeds will drop down to 200-300 and a couple rooms get those speeds always. So i’m thinking about possibly switching to the orbi ax600
Message 9 of 13
arthurbeg
Aspirant

forgot to mention with those 2 wire upgrades all the servers that were capping out at 300mbps now cap out at 400mbps
Message 10 of 13
fcano42
Guide

authburg, I have the same pair of devices.

Are you referring to the wires between the router and the modem?

Did you say you were using link agregation?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 11 of 13
arthurbeg
Aspirant

yes the rg wire that goes from your wall to your modem typically is a rg5 or rg6. i upgraded to a rg11 and the cat wire that goes from the modem to your router got upgraded to a cat8 wire. i do not have link aggregation on
Message 12 of 13
Tofu-Golem
Apprentice

I know this sounds stupid, but sometimes I have to enable QoS, reboot, disable QoS, reboot to get speeds where they should be.

(Also try the other way around if you prefer QoS on.)

I have no idea why this helps, but it has helped both on my RAX80 and my RAX120. If doing this fixes the problem with speed, this suggests to me that it could be fixed in software, but from what I can tell, Netgear's firmware teams are scrambling to deal with a lot of problems (including some scary security problems with over 70 models). If this can be fixed in the firmware, who knows when that will actually happen.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7