× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120v2 Randomly Reboots Only While Streaming Over Wi-Fi

bjc_27
Initiate

RAX120v2 Randomly Reboots Only While Streaming Over Wi-Fi

I’ve had my router for a few months now, but this issue has been happening since the beginning. Everything works perfectly with the Wi-Fi except for when someone starts to stream something. I have about 20 devices connected to Wi-Fi (a few echo dots, Roku, security system, washer and dryer, and then two laptops, one desktop, and two phones, and two iPads). There are no issues with the Wi-Fi randomly rebooting until something gets streamed through the Wi-Fi. Sometimes it restarts immediately and sometimes it goes days without restarting while streaming, but it for sure happens weekly. The firmware is updated to the most recent version, I’ve made sure it’s at a good location where it won’t overheat, and I’ve made sure that there’s not a bunch of electrical devices near it that might cause interference. It’s gotten to the point where I hooked up an Ethernet connection to the desktop and TV so that it won’t restart on an important work Zoom call or while streaming. However, it’s lame because I can’t stream through the Roku with that setup (no Ethernet jack on the Roku). I have to do it through the native smart TV apps. Any thoughts on this? It’s annoying buying such an expensive router just to have to rebooting randomly on me.
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Is Smart Connect and MIMO enabled? 

Try turning OFF most of the wifi devices accept for the streaming device. Does the problem still happen? 

Try disabling Smart Connect and if it's an option, disable AX mode on the router and see if the problem continues. 

Message 2 of 4
derekcannady
Guide

Only thing that solves this issue is disbling WMM on 2.4 GHz spectrum. 

Message 3 of 4
bjc_27
Initiate

Firmware version: V1.2.3.28

Channels: 2.4Ghz is on channel 1. 5Ghz is on channel 48.

Any WiFi neighbors nearby? Yup. A lot. My WiFi is detecting 39 Wifi neighbors around me. 

Smart Connect and MIMO are enabled. 

Isn't AX mode the point of having a WiFi 6 router? How would turning that off help? 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7