× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX15 AX1800 bottlenecks my internet speed 1gb from modem drops to 150mb when router is added.

Cnote22
Initiate

RAX15 AX1800 bottlenecks my internet speed 1gb from modem drops to 150mb when router is added.

Hi everyone, 

I just had my optimum service installed. I am paying for their 1gb down.

I am using an Aris SB8200 DOCIS 3.1 modem.

When my computer is plugged in directly to the modem, speed tests show 900+mb speeds. When the AX1800 (RAX15) modem is added, my speeds drop from 900mb to 250mb on a hardwired connection. 

My Firmware Version is V1.0.1.64_2.0.41

Any support would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX15 AX1800 bottlenecks my internet speed 1gb from modem drops to 150mb when router is added.

do this. 

1. factory reset the router. 

2. during setup make sure not to enable: qos, parental controls, traffic monitoring, or access controls. 

Those services drop speeds because they have to inspect the traffic and it puts a burden on the cpu to do so. 

you can try just disabling them first and rebooting the router. But in rare occasions I've read of those settings being retained even through a reboot which is why i recommend the reset option. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

do this. 

1. factory reset the router. 

2. during setup make sure not to enable: qos, parental controls, traffic monitoring, or access controls. 

Those services drop speeds because they have to inspect the traffic and it puts a burden on the cpu to do so. 

you can try just disabling them first and rebooting the router. But in rare occasions I've read of those settings being retained even through a reboot which is why i recommend the reset option. 

Message 2 of 3
Cnote22
Initiate

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

It looks like the factory reset did the trick. I appreciate the help. Was hoping to avoid that so I wouldn't have to redo all of my port forwarding. I am now seeing speed between 850mb/s to 900mb/s as expected. 

It's unfortunate that the hardware isnt sufficient to run the stock features of the software.

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7