× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX15|AX1800 wireless device random disconnects

good4y0u
Star

RAX15|AX1800 wireless device random disconnects

The issue is that every so often one of our devices no longer has access to the internet. It's connected to wifi but it says there's no internet OR the device refuses to connect. The issue occurs BOTH in Router and AP mode. I normally use the router in AP mode only. The issue is isolated to the single router, the other network I have does not have this problem. 

Other devices on the wireless network work just fine when a device (random) has this issue . I've tried rebooting the device, turning on/off wifi, removing the network and adding it again and none of that fixes the problem. I have also attempted to factory reset the device. 

The only fix is to reboot the router - that works every time (which also demonstrates it's a router issue, not a device issue). The problem is that with multiple devices in the house one or two wind up having this issue each day which means we have to reset the router every single day.

Please push a firmware update to fix this. 

Message 1 of 17
good4y0u
Star

Bump. Any chance on an update to fix this? 

Message 2 of 17
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello good4y0u,

Welcome to the community! Have you had a moment to get in contact with our support team regarding this? May you try disabling AX WiFi to see if there are any improvements? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Message 3 of 17
good4y0u
Star

If I purchased a $150 AX router to use AX wireless  (WIFI 6) why should I have to disable  AX WiFi to have a stable connection? This is not a fix. 

Message 4 of 17
good4y0u
Star

Bump, disconnection is still occuring.

I still think this is a firmware issue.  I've disabled AX support as the mod asked... If this does work that is even more indicative of a software issue with the router. 

Message 5 of 17
Glenng973
Initiate

Did you get any resolution to this yet? I have been having the same problem for awhile as well.
Message 6 of 17
good4y0u
Star

No real solution. It seems the only way to limit the issue is to disabled AX feature support...which basically negates a significant feature and purpose of the $150 router. 

Netgear needs to push out a firmware update to fix this problem. 

Message 7 of 17
bhonaker
Guide

Model isn't in the list above.  Wierd.

I am running the router in Access Point mode.  No 'Smart Connect'.

I am having issues with connectivity with 2 of the 7 Wi-Fi devices connecting to my AX1800. 

The Samsung Note 8 phone works great most of the time, but occasionally when I return to within range of the Netgear, it connects just fine to the 5 GHz channel, but no packets are sent upstream.  Therefore the device shows 'No Internet connection'.  I can switch the the 2.4 GHz radio with no problem. Switching back allows to connect but still no IP traffic.

No errors in the logs on the upstream router or the Netgear.

Reboot of phone doesn't help.

Turning off the 5 GHz radio, and then turning it back on, clears the problem. Obviously, other devices connect to 5 GHz are bumped off.

The Ring Doorbell Pro (purchased soon after the Netgear) would never connect to the 5 GHz radio, even though it shows the SSID.  It connects fine to the 2.4 GHz radio.

However, it sometimes is inaccessible to the Ring app on the phone or to the Echo Show.  But I can often connect to the 'Device Health' and it shows a good signal.  Ring support told me to reset the doorbell and reconnect.  This sometimes works but is very inconvenient.  

If anyone is having similar issues with these types of devices please share.  If you solved it too, that would be even better!

Message 8 of 17
good4y0u
Star

Bump still no solution besides disabling AX all together on a $150 AX router. 

I also noticed RAX15/AX1800 is gone from the model list

Message 9 of 17
bhonaker
Guide

An update on this.  I also noticed a wierd issue with a 3rd device, TCL Roku TV.  The YouTube app wouldn't accept a 'cast' request from an Android app.  

Ring suggested I turn AX off, too. That fixed it. No random disconnects on Doorbell, no 'connected but no traffic' on the Phone, and YouTube on the Roku TV works.  It's still pretty fast (only 2 AX-capable devices in the house anyway) but I shouldn't have to dumb down a product to act the same as a less expensive one in order to make it work.

This needs to be fixed in the firmware.  I bought the device NEW about 3 months ago.  Dropping support on a new router is really <4-letter-word> customer support.

I still have a ticket open with them for another issue and have included this there, if they give a fix I'll update the community.

Message 10 of 17
dj99wa
Aspirant

Smallnetbuilder reported just recently that the RAX15 is limited to 7 STAs (connections).  After that, it is not good.  I would upgrade.

Message 11 of 17
beardenbc
Aspirant

This really is BS. We bought the RAX15 because we wanted AX. That was the entire point, and now the only way we can work around our problem is to turn off the very feature we bought the thing for? No firmware update in sight, and they remove the model from the catalog like it never existed while we the customers are left with their lemon and no solution. Shame on you netgear.

Message 12 of 17
good4y0u
Star

I was wondering if there has been a firmware fix or if the device was recalled.
Message 13 of 17
good4y0u
Star

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello good4y0u,

Welcome to the community! Have you had a moment to get in contact with our support team regarding this? May you try disabling AX WiFi to see if there are any improvements? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Do you know if the issue with AX is fixed yet? Does my AX RAX15 actually work ? Can you confirm?

Message 14 of 17
bhonaker
Guide

Christian, I was the OP of this thread, and I started this after support told me to disable AX.  Guess what, it fixed it.  But that's not the point.  Paid for an AX router and to make it work we have to turn off AX functionality?  Most people would DEMAND their money back.  It's a ripoff.  Also, I opened this ticket when I installed my BRAND NEW RAX15... along with another ticket (which is still open since October!).  Apparently Netgear doesn't support this device anymore.  

If you're with Netgear, please share my disgust about that with management.  If not, please be cautious about using this device.

Bill

Message 15 of 17
Philisdong
Initiate

This is hilarious! So it's not me it's you! Poor net gear and poor me for buying there products. Time for a change!
Message 16 of 17
MobilGuy
Aspirant

I noticed this thread started a year ago (10/2020) and no resolution. Amazing. Wish I had looked before I purchased. Same problem. Locks out random devices and loses fiber connection multiple times a day. I have multiple routers, 2 NetGear, AX1800 and an AX6400 (1750) and only the Nighthawk has the problem. Also, when I log into the router I get warnings from BitDefender that the new AX1800 does not have a valid certificate. Spent extra money for the WiFi 6 for a bad router that is not reliable. I sell and Impliment commercial routers and AP’s, so I’m not a rookie at setup and configuration. This is a bad product.
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 20 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7