× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX20

347Eric
Aspirant

RAX20

My Nighthawk will see all of the devices in my home, tv's, cameras, phones and a personal laptop.  My company sent a new laptop and for some reason the company laptop will not see the Nighthawk.  The company laptop will see several "wifi" on my street.  My company tech support says that the Nighthawk has blocked all new devices.  That is not true because a friend of mine just came by and he connected his laptop and his phone and, my daughter was able to connect her phone to the Nighthawk approximately two weeks after the Nighthawk was installed.  

Please help!

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX20

What wireless card is in the laptop? 

Many of the newer laptops with the intel chipset need to be updated before they'll work with the RAX devices. I had this issue with an intel ax200 but as soon as I updated the driver from the manufacturer, it worked great. Don't trust the built-in driver update tools in some of the laptops. Actually look up the card and go to the manufacturers website to get the driver. 

Message 2 of 8
labatt
Mentor

If device faling to connect is an AC wireless and not AX try turning AX off on router. Some wireless clients cannot handle AX. 

Message 3 of 8
GabboCH
Apprentice

What make/model is your laptop & what Wifi device does it use?

If it uses an Intel Wifi adpater it is likely you need to update your drivers to correctly work with the new AX Wifi functionality.

For my Intel NUC PC, the drivers offered by windows were "up-to-date" but didnt work (i could not see the SSID).

I downloaded the latest driver from the intel website & it worked fine after that.

I had to do the same thing for my 2 dell work laptops.

If it is not possible to update the drivers (as its a work laptop & you dont have admin rights) which was the case for my wifes Dell laptop, you can disable the AX functionality in the router as a last resort.

However, if you do this, you are loosing one of the main functions of Wifi6 so its best to try the driver update first.

Message 4 of 8
347Eric
Aspirant

@GabboCH wrote:

What make/model is your laptop & what Wifi device does it use?

If it uses an Intel Wifi adpater it is likely you need to update your drivers to correctly work with the new AX Wifi functionality.

For my Intel NUC PC, the drivers offered by windows were "up-to-date" but didnt work (i could not see the SSID).

I downloaded the latest driver from the intel website & it worked fine after that.

I had to do the same thing for my 2 dell work laptops.

If it is not possible to update the drivers (as its a work laptop & you dont have admin rights) which was the case for my wifes Dell laptop, you can disable the AX functionality in the router as a last resort.

However, if you do this, you are loosing one of the main functions of Wifi6 so its best to try the driver update first.

Message 5 of 8
347Eric
Aspirant

The problem was that my laptop (Dell) was not compatible with AX.

Message 6 of 8
347Eric
Aspirant

That was the problem, thanks.

Message 7 of 8
GabboCH
Apprentice

Did you try updating the latest wifi adapter drivers because the AX standard is supposed to be backward compatible with previous versions AC, N, etc

My del laptops work fine after the Intel update.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7