× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX200 2.4ghz band dropping

jamie57
Tutor

RAX200 2.4ghz band dropping

I've had this RAX200 for about 3 months now and have been fighting this problem where the 2.4ghz band drops all devices and nothing will reconnect to the 2.4ghz band until I power cycle the router.  I've changed every setting I can think of and tried the not very helpful netgear support until they just stopped responding to me.  I've tried all different firmware versions, but currently on the newest release.  Tried different channels and smart connect on and off.  Longest I've had it work for is about a week, but here lately I have to restart the router daily.  I'm at a loss, guess I have a $400 dollar paper weight at this point because I'm outside my return window now.  Anyone have any suggestions or a recommendation of a better tri band wifi 6 router I can buy?

Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX200 2.4ghz band dropping

Did you disable AX on the router for the 2.4ghz? 

you can also try setting the speed down on it. Better to have a little slower 2.4ghz that works than a faster one thats sketchy. 

Message 2 of 10
jamie57
Tutor

I haven't tried disabling ax yet.  I dropped the speed setting this morning before I left for work to see if that helped, but everything has already dropped connection since I left.  I will try disabling ax when I get home this evening.

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

When you've reset, have you left everything at its defaults (even ssid/password) and tried it? 

Message 4 of 10
jamie57
Tutor

I disabled AX this morning, it is working good so far.  I don't see how to disable AX on just the 2.4ghz band though, I only see an option that disables it all together.  

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

Try it with AX disabled as is. If it stays stable, I'll find my RAX200 and connect it backup and see if I can figure out a way to disable ax on just the 2.4ghz 

Message 6 of 10
jamie57
Tutor

Well it worked fine for about a day and a half.  Now its back to dropping the 2.4ghz band daily.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Does the top of the router seem to be overly warm to the touch? 

Message 8 of 10
jamie57
Tutor

Firmware is v1.0.10.140
Connected to a Adtran ONT401 Micro FTTH
Part Number:1287786F1
Doesn't seem overly hot.
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.
I would power OFF the ISP ONT for 1 minute as well. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7