× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX200 2.4ghz fails to connect

wingdam
Star

RAX200 2.4ghz fails to connect

I just got a RAX 200 as a gift last week and suddenly the 2.4 ghz won't connect to any device, I get the following msg  (WLAN access rejected: incorrect security) 5ghz is fine. I'm running the latest firmware 1.0.1.12_1.0.41 and have rebooted the router to no avail. Everything had worked perfectly and it just went down. My Arlo cameras and other 2.4 home automation devices are down. For a $500 item this is unacceptable.   I'm running it as an AP as I have to use a FIOS modem/router (wireless turned off on modem) first  Any ideas?

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 13
wingdam
Star

Re: RAX200 2.4ghz fails to connect

here's a bit more info. After a couple of hours everything came back on it's own, but the Arlo's would drop off and then reconnect, however I can't connect to 2.4 with my phone and get the msg that internet may not be available. And some devices are dropping out and then reconnecting after a while. Both 5ghz bands are fine. 

Message 2 of 13
plemans
Guru

A couple questions.

1. Are you using any special characters in your ssid/password? if so remove them

2. Are you using smart connect?

3. Have you tried enabling/disabling wireless AX/ofdma?

4. Have you tried a factory reset? the RAX devices firmware updates were quite significant because it was so new (released before AX finalized). If you just got it and updated firmware to the newest, you might want to try a factory reset and reinstall. 

Message 3 of 13
wingdam
Star

After doing two factory resets with no success I reninstalled the latest firmware did a factory reset and it finally worked.

Message 4 of 13
DainWei
Aspirant

Yes, this keeps happening to me. Although, it is most commonly the 2.4 GHz, it is not always isolated to 2.4 it can affect both 5ghz and even the ethernet ports.

I have always had to reinstall the latest firmware. It is hit or miss if it will work. Sometimes have to reinstall it 1-5 times before it will work again.
I even returned the router and got another but the issues remains
Truly sad that we pay so much for this for this to happen.
Message 5 of 13
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello DainWei,

Have you had a chance to get in contact with our support team regarding your issue(s)? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Message 6 of 13
MrTapper
Aspirant

I've been experiencing the same problems connecting to 2.4GHz wifi.

The connection kept dropping which I found very strange and wouldn't connect to my Sky Q box or my Netgear wifi extenders

I reset my RAX200 to factory settings and cancelled the firmware update and the connection has been stable since.

I'll try and install the latest firmware later.

Message 7 of 13
Elie973
Aspirant

Hello everyone, my RAX200 had the same issue, all my IoT were disconnected from the 2.4Ghz, for example my Nest Thermostat told me "You had changed wifi password" while not at all, it's the same wifi password i use for ages. 

Sometimes on the 5Ghz my mac and iPhone are still connected but not connection, i can't navigate on internet, i reboot my RAX200 at least 2 times per day, i'm really desapointed, it's a shame to sell an expensive product like this that doesn't work, i never got issues like this with my previous 30€ TP Link repeter i don't understand why?

Message 8 of 13
MrTapper
Aspirant

I returned it to Amazon and got a replacement. The replacement worked ok for a while then I had issues with the download speeds.

I was getting 90/36 MB from the RAX200 even though my ISP package is 516/36 MB

Restored it to factory settings and installed the latest firmware but it made no difference. 

As a last resort I disconnected the RAX200 and changed my ISP supplied router back to router mode and the speeds were back to normal.

Luckily it was still within the return window for Amazon so I sent it back. I'll probably wait until Wifi 6e routers are on the market.

I'll probably check out other brands etc and do much more research before buying another router.

Message 9 of 13
jwv1111
Aspirant

So the work around is to leave the default password which comes with the router. Seems like a bug in the firmware

Message 10 of 13
jwv1111
Aspirant

just to add: This issue im having is if a simply change the wifi name and reset it wont connect unless I keep the default password the same as on the router...

Message 11 of 13
jwv1111
Aspirant

ok so I resolved it... if you have special characters in your password it will work fine until you either reboot or unplug the device... my password had quotes in it... thats why the default password worked as its just letters and numbers. I removed the quotes from the password and eveything worked fine

Message 12 of 13
jwv1111
Aspirant

For the sake of clarity in case anyone else runs into this

When I was setting up your router I changed the WiFi name and password from the default as everyone does. This was all working great until a couple of days later i unplugged and moved the router to another room then I found none of the previous devices i.e. iphone, themostat etc were connecting. The password I had changed from the default was using had quotes in it. After trial and error I found that passwords with quotes (didnt check other special characters) would intially work until you did manual reboot (or unplugged) then no previously working devices would reconnect, they would display the 'enter your password message' even though the password was correct. I reomoved the quotes from the password and the problem dissapeared. This is also why I found that everything also worked if I renamed the WIfi but kept the origonal default password... 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7