× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX200 2.5Gbps Multi-Gig port throttling?

Alpha_K
Tutor

RAX200 2.5Gbps Multi-Gig port throttling?

I am posting here because my warranty support expired, and I have to cough up $90 to ask Netgear for help. Seriously bogus on a product that I spent a fortune on.

I purchased the RAX200 router and CM1150V cable modem back in May 2020 and set up Ethernet Port Aggregation out of the box. My service plan is Xfinity gigabit internet. No problem since, until I got an email that Xfinity increased my speed to 1200Mbps for no extra charge. Great! I went ahead and purchased a small managed switch for my environment and connected the RAX200 2.5Gbps Multi-Gig port to the switch's 10GB port w/ Cat7 cable. The Switch GUI confirms a solid 2.5GB connection, fantastic. Moving on

Here is where the problem starts when performing a speed test. Using the Speed test app and Xfinity speed test. About the same results:

Computer to Switch 2.5Gbps connection - the download speed starts around 700Mbps, and then it drops down to  ≈380Mbps.

I did some tinkering and jotted down some notes:

-Firmware 1.0.3.106 after clean reset

-I did a speed test on every port

-Ethernet port Aggregation disabled - ≈980Mbps All ports

-Ethernet port Aggregation enabled – All 1GB ports (2-4) 980Mbps and 2.5 Multi-Gig Port (port 5) ≈380Mbps

So when Ethernet port Aggregation is enabled, the Multi-gig port is throttled?

Does anyone have this issue? I have the latest firmware and did a factory reset, no cigar. Let me know if this sounds vague or whatnot. Providing any help will give you Kudos, Thank you!

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX200 2.5Gbps Multi-Gig port throttling?

I haven't ran into the 2.5g port being throttled but i have ran into issues with the wan port aggregation not function properly. 

I've got an RAX200 that I tried connected to a cm1100 and a arris sb8200. It was hit or miss whether wan port aggregation worked properly. 

Are you using any traffic monitoring, qos, access control, or parental controls? 

Message 2 of 5
Alpha_K
Tutor

Nope, all of that is turned off. I tried the previous three versions, and it did not solve the problem. Getting close to RMA the device, but I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Message 3 of 5
dayjob
Guide

Yea there was another major thread about 6 months ago related to this router and any link aggregation enabled and using a modem for xfinity. It causes some issues and even if it begins fast, it will throttle way below normal and remain stuck until a full power cycle. No firmware for modem nor router solved the issues. Just cannot use link aggregation for internet period.

Also there is another unsolved thread where using anything other than an unshielded ethernet cable between the router and another device can cause random disconnects or throttling. Cat7/8 or anything saying it's shielded is a problem. There is one trick which helps if you only have shielded cables, and that is to use a female to female cat5/6 connector to break the shielding connection.

Good luck. (If I find previous posts I will update with links)
Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 4 of 5
koa132435
Star

@Alpha_K @dayjob 

I have a similar problem when using the 2.5 Gbps with or without LAG configured.

RAX200 Owners - 2.5 Gbps throttling? Can you get ... - NETGEAR Communities

Were you able to fix this problem?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7