× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX200 AP - Block new connections

n3tg3ar-u53r
Aspirant

RAX200 AP - Block new connections

I have my RAX200 (V1.0.2.88_1.0.50) in AP mode with the Access Control on and "Block all new devices from connecting" selected but I am noticing new devices automatically being allowed to connect. Anyone else seeing similar results?

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 3

Re: RAX200 AP - Block new connections

@n3tg3ar-u53r wrote:

I have my RAX200 (V1.0.2.88_1.0.50) in AP mode with the Access Control on and "Block all new devices from connecting" selected but I am noticing new devices automatically being allowed to connect.

AP mode disables many features on a router.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That page specifically says that it applies to the RAX200. Looks like it may be blocking your blocking.

If so, the solution may be to work out how to put what is in front of this router into "modem only" (bridge) mode and on use the router for its intended purpose. Or use whatever does the work of a router to block new devices.

Message 2 of 3
n3tg3ar-u53r
Aspirant

Re: RAX200 AP - Block new connections

Appreciate the response but Access Control is not one of the features disabled (Grayed Out) once in AP mode. I also have this deployment right now with an R9000 and works as should. I've also ran this deployment in the past with an R7000 without any issues. The only thing I can assume is that you're referring to Blocked Sites and Blocked Services which are different features and yes those are grayed out.

I run dual Internet at the house (fiber & coax handoffs) with an R7000 (radios disabled) terminating each handoff and providing the routing/NAT'ing function. Both of those connect into a Cisco 3750 switch where I also have other wired devices connected. Hanging off my 3750 are two independent Netgears (R9000 & RAX200) running in AP mode providing wireless services. This design allows for the most redundancy (sans the lone switch acting as the single point of failure) and allows for automatic failover from one provider to the other in just a few seconds because I run an IP SLA on the 3750 and have a track configured on default route with a floating static default acting as a backup. The only obvious downside to this deployment is the independent APs not working together and providing any features to seamless transition of wifi clients but typically the stickyness of a wifi client is primarily controlled by the client and once they latch onto an AP they remain with that AP because the signal strength does not get to a point that the client decides it's time to roam.

No network design is perfect and one could definitely find fault with this deployment but over the years as I upgraded my Netgears I decided to design around the equipment I currently had as opposed to throwing out what I currently had and going all new with a different manufacturer.

Just as a side note, in my experience, grayed out feautres can still be accessed and configured. Not saying they'll work properly but all Netgear does is disable the ability to link from one page to another but if you enter in the URI you can still access the grayed out feature.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7