× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX200 And Airtime Fariness

Gport16
Aspirant

RAX200 And Airtime Fariness

So in an effort to not go crazy and get the best WIFI I had a few questions.  With everyone home, 2 chrome books for zoom all day meetings, laptops, xbox , roku etc...  What options might be best or combination of them to enable?  I had issues with my own where teams and sometimes VPN might drop and thought maybe it was my daughter (school chrome book) and mine sharing same band so I pushed he off on another.   But I also enabled airtime fairness as well. 

Beanforming - Already was enabled

Airtime Fariness- I just enabled and seeing any results

MU-MIMO - Currently disabled

AX Mode- I had this enabled but then could only use 1 oif the 5hz channels.  The other one either couldn't be seen or couldn;t connect with known good password.  So I turned off and was fine after.

What I don't know if if I should check all the boxes (but AX mode) or just one or 2?  

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 7
Gport16
Aspirant

LOL ....Nobody???

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 2 of 7
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Gport16 wrote:

LOL ....Nobody???

Search Google for "Duckware article on AX routers" to learn about the features and then decide for yourself... it is not one size fits all so cannot really say. 

Message 3 of 7
Gport16
Aspirant

Thanks will do

Message 4 of 7
avtella
Prodigy

Some clients have issues with Air Time Fairness, I would leave it disabled as I've seen odd latency issues at times. Last time I used it was on an R8500 but it caused my Chromecast to have stuttering issues during streaming. Maybe things improved since then but if I recall I had a similar issue on my RAX80 but didn't retest since a while.

Message 5 of 7
Gport16
Aspirant

Thanks

What options do you run?  Beamforming?  MU-MIMO?

Message 6 of 7
avtella
Prodigy

Leave beamforming on.

As for MU-MIMO it only helps in certain conditions and that too it is mostly effectively on Qualcomm chipset based routers like the R7800 and RAX120.

On Broadcom chipset based routers like the RAX200 I’d leave it off. In last gen Broadcom routers like the R8500 and Asus AC88U it actually caused a performance drop often times. Maybe BCM improved it this gen but I haven’t seen any benefit on the RAX80 which is essentially an RAX200 minus the extra 5Ghz band and uses the same BCM chipset. Additionaly some BCM based MU capable WiFi clients like the Galaxy S6 or 7 would drop to half their capable bandwith when MU was enabled on routers.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7