× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX200 DNS Failure

hcornea
Star

RAX200 DNS Failure

RAX200 is connected to WAN Fibre NIC
WAN IP and DNS provided by ISP

The RAX200 appears to provide *its own IP address* as the DNS server to all clients on the LAN (about 60 in total, mixture of wired and wireless)

From the outset of using this router (a replacement for an R8000) internet access for LAN has failed intermittently requiring a router reboot to re-establish. Initially once a month or so.

In recent months this has become more frequent, and today a reboot won’t re-establish connectivity.

The router itself reports a good internet connection, and will do a speedtest on the nighthawk app of 823 Mbps.

LAN clients however have no internet, unless DNS is manually overridden on clients (eg specifying 8.8.8.8 instead of the routers provided self-reference)

It seems DNS problems are a frequent report for this router, and in this case all other traffic is working but the router is not forwarding DnS as it should.

Have to say, for a premium priced product, and having had business grade routers work 24/7 for decades , I am unimpressed with my last two Netgear products.

Anyone found a solution?

At this stage, considering an RMA. Just has not performed as it should from the outset.
Message 1 of 44

Accepted Solutions

Re: RAX200 DNS Failure

I was able to roll back the routers firmware to V1.0.5.132_1.0.69 which has somewhat helped. My Wyze cameras and Nest thermostat function properly now.

Old clients had to reset their DHCP settings to reacquire the network, that however gave mixed results with one smartphone having 8.8.8.8 as DNS 1, and Router IP as DNS 2. May be a good shot to try rolling it back one version.

Back-up your settings and just update firmware like usual, it'll prompt that its a downgrade instead of upgrade. (at your own risk of course) 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 44

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Did you setup the custom dns in the router instead of the providers dns?

And do it in both the ipv4 and ipv6 section?

Message 2 of 44
hcornea
Star

Thanks for the reply.
Tried this. No dice.
I am not running dual-stack, so IPV6 is disabled.

Setting the DNS to 8.8.8.8 In the router has no effect.
Setting 8.8.8.8 as DNS on a client on the LAN (Windows PC or iphone) provides internet connectivity.

Multiple router restarts: no good.

Noting also that the router itself can find a server and do a speedtest using Ookla - it seems that it simply won’t provide DNS information to devices on the LAN
Message 3 of 44

Im also having the same issue. only started occurring this morning. 

Message 4 of 44
hcornea
Star

That’s an extraordinary coincidence - given this problem (not solved by a router reboot) only started this morning for me also.

Perhaps this suggests a time-dependent bug in the router firmware?

Incredibly frustrating - I am without usable internet at home, and this (somewhat expensive) router has been problematic from the het-go.

Have lost a great deal of faith in Netgear.

Ordered an enterprise-grade Cisco router today. Bells and whistles aside, I need this to *work*
Message 5 of 44

I've also done the same steps you have, along with resetting the router to its factory settings and resetting it up using automatic DNS from my ISP. same issues persist. reloaded previous settings from a backup file and it still continues. Im gonna try to setup an RMA but its incredibly frustrating having this happen with no fix in sight. 

Message 6 of 44
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

@hcornea wrote:

The RAX200 appears to provide *its own IP address* as the DNS server to all clients on the LAN (about 60 in total, mixture of wired and wireless)

From the outset of using this router (a replacement for an R8000) internet access for LAN has failed intermittently requiring a router reboot to re-establish. Initially once a month or so.

In recent months this has become more frequent, and today a reboot won’t re-establish connectivity.

The router itself reports a good internet connection, and will do a speedtest on the nighthawk app of 823 Mbps.

LAN clients however have no internet, unless DNS is manually overridden on clients (eg specifying 8.8.8.8 instead of the routers provided self-reference)

It seems DNS problems are a frequent report for this router, and in this case all other traffic is working but the router is not forwarding DnS as it should.

Have to say, for a premium priced product, and having had business grade routers work 24/7 for decades , I am unimpressed with my last two Netgear products.

Anyone found a solution?

At this stage, considering an RMA. Just has not performed as it should from the outset.

which FW version do you use now? v1.0.6.138?

Message 7 of 44
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

@Altsai wrote:

@hcornea wrote:

Anyone found a solution?

which FW version do you use now? v1.0.6.138?

FW v1.0.6.138 can be download from here. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rax200#Firmware%20Version%201.0.6.138

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RAX200/RAX200-V1.0.6.138_1.0.76.zip

Message 8 of 44

yes currently on V1.0.6.138_1.0.76

Message 9 of 44
hcornea
Star

Also running latest firmware.
Message 10 of 44
woodytwoshoes
Initiate

I just wanted to add another voice to this thread.  The thread post details exactly the same problem I have and it started happening today, oddly time dependent just like everyone else in this thread.  I'm working around this by manually specifying DNS, but it's a terrible solution that creates a lot of other problems.

Please provide a fix.  Firmware for me is also V1.0.6.138_1.0.76.

Message 11 of 44

I was able to roll back the routers firmware to V1.0.5.132_1.0.69 which has somewhat helped. My Wyze cameras and Nest thermostat function properly now.

Old clients had to reset their DHCP settings to reacquire the network, that however gave mixed results with one smartphone having 8.8.8.8 as DNS 1, and Router IP as DNS 2. May be a good shot to try rolling it back one version.

Back-up your settings and just update firmware like usual, it'll prompt that its a downgrade instead of upgrade. (at your own risk of course) 

Message 12 of 44
hcornea
Star

Thanks. I’ll give this a go when I get home.
Message 13 of 44
alexiacovlev
Initiate

Confirming the rollback to previous version worked for me as well.

Download Link: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RAX200/RAX200-V1.0.5.132_1.0.69.zip

Message 14 of 44
Freejim
Initiate

Hey guys,

I've got the exact same issue but since this morning... Probably occurs during night. I had to set manually DNS on computers to be able to work... Glad to see I'm not alone here. 

I was waiting for another general problem solution in the meantime (VPN don't let connected device reach inside network) and now this... This actually mean that netgear doesn't even bother to test their firmware before release. This will be my last netgear device. I'm sick of it.

Message 15 of 44
rachaelp
Initiate

We woke up this morning to find our router had updated itself to V1.0.6.138 overnight and DNS was broken... Following the advice on this thread and rolling back to V1.0.5.132 has resolved the issue for us and we are back up and running. Thank you!

We've had related DNS issues with this router for ages. If we ever get a power outage which takes the router down we often find it has DNS issues when it comes back up and we have to manually take everything down, bring the router up, reconfigure DNS (it already looks correct but it needs tweaking to coax it), reboot, and hope everything comes back. Repeat as many times as necessary before it springs into life again... Is this just us or does everybody else have these issues with this router too?

Thanks!

Message 16 of 44
hcornea
Star

Hi rachael,

No, your baseline issues sound like the ones I have with this router.

I run it on a UPS to prevent minor outages, but even that doesn’t keep it 100% stable.
Message 17 of 44
rachaelp
Initiate

Thanks @hcornea, knowing we're not alone with this issue gives me hope they may one day fix it!

We're going to get a small UPS to put on the router. We have Powerwalls for the house so we stay 'up' through most outages, but there is occasionally a momentary drop as it switches to backup mode when the grid goes down so we need a UPS to protect the router from that. Hopefully that'll alleviate most of the issues we have with this router.

Many thanks,

Rachael

Message 18 of 44
hcornea
Star

FWIW, have also downgraded firmware to 1.0.5.132 and rebooted and have my network functionality back.

For any Netgear representatives who might care to read this thread, this is merely the final straw for this incredibly unreliable “flagship” router and the Netgear brand.

In the meantime - please fix the reliability issues and the latest firmware. A performance car that is unreliable is much less useful than a modest car that works every time. This thing is embarassingly unreliable.
Message 19 of 44
ThePocketLion
Initiate

Wanted to add my voice to it as well....

Obviously something has happened overnight - the DNS server that is supposed to proxy(?) out to something (we usually use 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8) has totally failed.

Horrible access to internet for the last 24 hours.

This firmware is clearly faulty.

Thanks heaps to those posting previous versions links.

EDIT: just 'downgraded' and it's working perfectly again.

Message 20 of 44
Viper766
Aspirant

I just wanted to add I’ve had exactly the same issue since yesterday. I’ve tried resetting but now I can’t seem to log into my router…
Message 21 of 44

Looks like my router decided to update its firmware again, It appears to have done it at 6:00AM EST for me, that is when my smart devices dropped connection, it updated back up to V1.0.6.138_1.0.76. Going to downgrade again and see if the "Disable auto update" works this time. 

Message 22 of 44
cdeslong
Initiate

Plus one for this problem also.  Just downgraded the firmware...

For being advertised as being one of their best/newest routers...this thing is plagued with glitches.

Message 23 of 44
plemans
Guru

Sounds like I need to dust off my RAX200 this weekend and upgrade/see if I've got the issue as well. currently testing a different device so can't do right now. 

@Altsai 

Message 24 of 44
aurisor
Initiate

Holy **bleep** -- I'm having exactly the same problem. Auto-update in the middle of the night, none of my devices could resolve via DNS, router passing its own IP instead. I'm going to try rolling back to see if it fixes it for me too.

Message 25 of 44
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7