× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX200 DNS Failure

ThePocketLion
Initiate

Ok so a pro tip - make sure you go and check whether the firmware downgrade has also refreshed the setting back to default to 'upgrade firmware'.  

Mine had set this back and it upgraded to the dodgy firmware AGAIN overnight.

Unbelievable.

Message 26 of 44
hlozo
Guide

I confirm this is happening on the latest softwre with no other option than setting the DNS maanually on the clients. Which is extremly frustrating if one has vacuums and thermostats and voice assistants, etc... pleaase fix asap. 

Setting the DNS mannualy in the internet settings of the router does not help. Connectivity works though. 

Message 27 of 44
hlozo
Guide

Just came back to confirm the downgrade works so it is DEFINITELY a firmware bug. 

Message 28 of 44
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Thank you for letting me know its a firmware issue I will let our engineers know.

Message 29 of 44
Nas-UK
Initiate

Many thanks. The rollback to the previous firmware helped me as well with the lack of dns forwarding. It also helped bring my WAN speed back to normal as well.

Message 30 of 44
thorr18
Initiate

My RAX200 failed the same morning as everyone else's, after working fine for over a year. Manually setting DNS that morning fixed many of my devices, although there seems to be no way to set it on a couple of devices. I checked the log that morning and didn't see anything about a firmware update. It's on v1.0.6.138_1.0.76. The Nighthawk app appeared to offer no way to even report the problem, as it's out of warranty already. I waited a few days hoping they'd push a firmware correction. I will now just disable auto update and download an older version but I'm also shopping for something more reliable with a longer warranty. 

Message 31 of 44
johnwho
Star

After the update to after update to V1.0.6.138_1.0.76 the DNS stopped working, with all network devices showing "no internet". After investigation this turned out to be a DNS issue. So I rolled back to the previous firmware, and all is good.

This morning I decided to have another go at sorting the issue, reset to factory settings - upgrade to V1.0.6.138_1.0.76 - reconfigure router.

This solved the DNS issue, but now the network share of a USB drive, will only work with no password enabled, as the router will not accept the correct username and password.

Rolling back the previous firmware and reconfiguring it seems the only way.

Message 32 of 44
MyZacK
Initiate

Similar experience.  Upgraded to current latest (RAX200-V1.0.6.138_1.0.76) and DNS stopped working.   Pings to IP's worked.   Setting DNS on the client to 1.1.1.1 worked.  Tried letting the ISP set DNS on router, no joy.   Rolled back to RAX200-V1.0.5.132_1.0.69, and DNS started working again as it had before.

Router:  RAX200-V1.0.5.132_1.0.69

DNS set to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

Clients set to automatically get DNS (gets set to the Router's lan IP)

Working.

Message 33 of 44
hlozo
Guide

For all the possible netgear guys reading this:

Are you really sure this is the best approach to let people on a broken firmware for weeks?

What about people who don't know how to do these workarounds and have completely broken network while having bought a $500 flagship router?

This becomes a bad joke after all this time. For real.
Message 34 of 44

The Netgear developers are working on a new firmware patch to fix the DNS issues, they have test patches but not ones released yet publicly. I'm sure after a bit of time patching any other bugs they will release it, but even I would personally be hesitant to switch to it. 

The current best solution is to downgrade, it's not that difficult if you can follow the prompts. and grab the previous version that has been listed numerous times in this thread. 

Message 35 of 44
hlozo
Guide

Of course I personally have done that. But it is very disturbing that they did not react immediately as far as they had rendered a lot of devices "dead" for an average home user. Especially if the devices are online and can be patched the next night automatically..

Message 36 of 44
hcornea
Star

I am reluctant to test any firmware candidate as my rolled-back firmware is currently stable. I have no idea what the putative features of the newer firmware are - but I value stability and my time above all of them.

Netgear’s “matter-of-factness” over nobbling a flagship product is ….. interesting. And not exactly confidence inspiring.
Message 37 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

If users update to the latest FW, please try enabling IPv6 on the router see if this help with DNS issues.

Message 38 of 44
apever
Aspirant

Same here. Absolutely remarkable! The last NightHawk I got had VPN issues that they had to send me a patch for. It actually died after ~2years in service anyway, so I went ASUS for a few years. And now this. INCREDIBLE!

PS: Going back to V1.0.5.132_1.0.69 was an instant fix for me. Just need to see if VPN is still working...

Message 39 of 44
hcornea
Star

Now back to previous firmware I still have to reset this router every few days. Yes, I have a lot of devices (about 60), but this thing is not up to standard. Totally unreliable, and expensive.

Previous R8000 died after two years. R7000 similarly.

I’m done with Netgear for routers. So disappointing.
Have an enterprise-grade Cisco router that has just arrived; I’m done.
Message 40 of 44
shier0513
Aspirant

The problem is still there.

Message 41 of 44
hd2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Has there been any movement on this? I just keep ignoring the prompt to update to 1.0.6.138_1.0.76 for now.

Message 42 of 44
GaryChenQQ
Aspirant

回复: RAX200 DNS Failure

I having the same issue use V1.0.6.138_1.0.76

whe enable vpn then reboot

All LAN devices  can't connect internet 

but can ping 1.1.1.1 ....

cant't ping www.google.com ( or other domain)

Message 43 of 44
smtroy
Initiate

I just "upgraded" my RAX200 router to V1.0.6.138_1.0.76 this afternoon.  Oddly DNS resolution wasn't working.  Spent a couple hours troubleshooting between different devices.  Windows with Active Directory using local DNS, iPhone using DHCP provided DNS and some smart devices that have DNS like 1.1.1.1

Then I stumbled on this thread,

Unfortunate that NetGear hasn't provided a fix and new firmware to solve this bug after two months!

Message 44 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7