× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX200 Firmware Version V1.0.3.102_1.0.56 Issues

Dave-M
Tutor

RAX200 Firmware Version V1.0.3.102_1.0.56 Issues

Ongoing horrible issues with this RAX200 router.  Over a month now and multiple tickets to Netgear Gearhead support.  There are a couple of issues, but this one is bad.  When you remove ANY port forward rule that you had previously put in and it no longer appears in the GUI the rule actually still works.  What is worse is that if you try to add the rule (that isn't in the GUI but works), the router complains that the rule already exists.  Factory reset and rebuild is what Netgear advises.  The issue is gone after the factor reset and rebuild which is what Netgear keeps telling me to do.  However I feel that it is unreasonable to have to factory reset after adding/removing  a port forward configuration as I'm sure we all would feel.  Restoring a backup of the configuration when there was NOT any port forwarding configured does in fact restore the backup configuration, but the port forwarding still exists even though the image I have restored doesn't have any port forwarding in it.  That is a nice feature isn't it?  Definately proves that this firmware/software is borked.

Netgear "premium support" is at a 100% loss for the last 30+ days.  Reaching out to the community on a last ditch effort before I toss this RAX200 and $600.00 I paid for it in the garbage and put all Netgear products on my "do not ever buy again" list.  Thank you for any support or suggestions.

Purchased 4/2020

Model: RAX200
Firmware Version V1.0.3.102_1.0.56

PS:  The router also has issues with displaying devices connected to the network in the web interface and in the Nighthawk APP.  Connected devices that are no longer connected for days and weeks show up as connected, connected devices whether or not they are even connected switch between showing as "wired" and "wireless" and switch between wireless networks.  How can a device that is not on the network be switching between the Guest network and the non-guest network the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands when it is not even on the network?   For example, my daughter's mobile phone which went to Texas 3 months ago still shows as a "wired" printer connected with the IP it had 3 months ago.  Finally, the router has been hardware RMA'd once and Netgear wants to RMA it again because of both of these issues.  Is the RAS really a POS?

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 11
roger1955
Apprentice

Hi,

FWIW..... I remember going thru 2 RMA's with the 3rd router finally working as it should. It was a different manufacturer though. Just saying things like this happen.   I just factory reset mine this morning, I get an occasional freezing of the router every 3-7days, so I decided to start doing a factory reset every so often, to see if the freezing whould stop....to early to tell. Overall,  I have accepted the fact that sometimes Netgear puts out bad firmware which really screws up the router, but V1.0.3 working for me. 

Message 2 of 11
Dave-M
Tutor

I wish I could be as understanding as you are with a $600 router that needs to be factory reset every time it freezes up once or twice a week like yours does.  I should have metioned that the firmware the router came with is 3 versions (maybe 4) lower then what was on the router in April 2020 when I got it.  All 3 upgrades Netgear was "put the latest firmware on and see what happens."  Since my issue has been ongoing since initial purchase I might feel a little better about saying "Netgear puts out subpar firmware regularly".  Best of luck with your factory resets 🙂

Message 3 of 11
MaddmaxxAZ
Initiate

So my router will out of the blue drop ALL the 2.4ghz CONNECTED devices for no reason what so ever. Paid for and contacted netgear gear heads, performed multiple firmware reflashed as well as factory resets to no avail. For $599 this thing should be bullet proof is anybody else having this 2.4 band issue?
Message 4 of 11
Dave-M
Tutor

My old 2.4 Ghz devices drop on the regular with this particular router.

By the way, Gear Head support could not resolve my issue and Best Buy will not take this router back.  So anyone interested in buying a slightly used Netgear RAX200?

Message 5 of 11
Dave-M
Tutor

Turns out no one wants a poorly made $600 router that lets the entire internet in to your home network.  Cannot say that I blame anyone.

Well.. I'm back on with Gearhead Support today with another technician and I'm getting super-duper escalated now for support.  Interesting to see what happens as the tier 2 support tech actually agreed there is something wrong with this software/firmware/hardware.  For those watching and reading... my RAX200 allows port forwarding rules to stay active even though they are removed from the admin GUI.

Message 6 of 11
lmanpunk
Star

I have the $600 paperwieght as well.  I had switched back to my r7000.  I finally bought a TP-Link tri-band mesh 2 or 3 months ago and I have been much happier,  Way more stable.  I would never recommend any AX routers from Netgear.

Message 7 of 11
Dave-M
Tutor

Thanks for the comment.  Gearhead Support has blown my ticket off and won't contact me.  I have my R8000 avaialbe still and should put that back in to play since Gearhead isn't helping and shop for a replacement.  Will look at the TP-Link devices.

Message 8 of 11
Dave-M
Tutor

Netgear still has no idea how to fix.  No ETA given and all they have to say is they are sorry and will take this issue under the highest of concern.  Whatever....

Now currently working with customer support who says they will work to refund me my $600 I paid for this RAX200 and hopefully the money I paid for "premium" Gearhead Support.  Best Buy will not take it back since Netgear RMA'd the one I got from there over a month ago.  Obviously the serial number I have on the router now doesn't match what I bought from them so no luck there.

Using my older R8000 now, but need the next generation routers to get the benefit of my GB internet.  Very unfortunate, but I would say to stay away from the RAX200 unless you never use port forwarding.  Other than the port forwarding issues this RAX200 has leaving whatever port you enable open forever.. even when you close it... the router is excellent for speed and distance coverage.

Message 9 of 11
roger1955
Apprentice

Still getting random zombie mode where the router just stops doing its routing thang. I only factory reset once. So the theory I was going to test is moot. (Doing a factory reset once a week is not what I want to do). Other than this, my RAX200 is awesome!
Message 10 of 11
MaddmaxxAZ
Initiate

Don't waste your money, it worked well for 11 months and now I'm fighting with them to get a replacement sent to me as it began giving me issues in month 11, now after following all of their instructions, I am just outside of the 12-month warranty period so they won't refund me and their replacement devices are "out of stock". I have been a netgear fan for years, I have a cable modem switch and wifi router, I will NEVER buy a netgear product again.

They talked me into their $140 gear head support as it was "necessary" for troubleshooting the issues... They did the same exact **bleep** that I told them I had just got done doing... If I wanted kindergarten level support I would have saved my money. My case has been escalated 3 times and I haven't gotten a call back or email... Asus products are far superior and the customer support leaves netgear in the dust.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7