× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX200 Multi-Gig Port to 2.5Gbps on Sagmecom F@st 3896 - limited to 1Gbps?

Simple_AK
Tutor

RAX200 Multi-Gig Port to 2.5Gbps on Sagmecom F@st 3896 - limited to 1Gbps?

Hello Community,

My ISP now provides 2Gbps speed.  They provided a Sagemcom F@st 3896 cable modem that has a 2.5Gbps port.

I have a 2.5Gbps USB-C ethernet adapter that I used for plugging my laptop directly into the 2.5Gbps port on the cable modem.  In that scenario, I'm getting speeds of about 1.5Gbps.  I used a Cat6 patch cable.

When I connect my new RAX200, via the Multi-Gig Port, to the same 2.5Gbps LAN port on my cable modem (in bridge mode) using a Cat6 patch cable, my speed test in the Nighthawk's web interface (in QoS settings), shows about 940Mbps.  The RAX200 is set to have the WAN preference as Multi-Gig Port (2.5/1Gbps).

I can't figure out why I'm not getting comparable speeds from the RAX200 when testing via the web interface at 192.168.1.1 as I did with my laptop directly connected to the cable modem.  I believe the speed test under QoS is testing the speed of the router's connection directly to the ISP and not that of my particular networked device, such as my laptop.  Correct?  QoS is disabled by the way.

I feel like something is limiting my RAX200 to 1Gbps...

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Josh

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RAX200 Multi-Gig Port to 2.5Gbps on Sagmecom F@st 3896 - limited to 1Gbps?

Only way you might see 2.5Gb is if you have a 5Ghz AX 4x4 MIMO antenna supporting device that can connect at 4800Mpbs on 5Ghz AX mode. And most users devices are 2x2, like phones and pads. 3000-4000Mpbs may see good speeds from the WAN side thru the AX wifi. 

The router supports the following:

5GHz AX: 4x4 (Tx/Rx) 1024-QAM
20/40/80/160MHz, up to 4.8Gbps< This is a connection rate only between the RAX and a supporting devices that can connect at that rate. 

However in my experiences with NG and ASUS, i've never been able to get anything to connect at that speed. Max speed i've seen is around 3200-3800Mpbs. Close range between the two devices. Was told by NG engineering that many things effect how devices and conenct at higher speeds. Noise, environment and distances seems to be factor. In a near perfect environment, I guess they can get those speeds, however in a average home or general environment, gettings those speeds just isn't possible. I wish ALL router mfrs would not market that speed. That speed won't be seen at great distances since the frequency is high and is effected by building materials. Same with 6Ghz. Even higher freq is still impacted by what 5Ghz has been dealing with. 2400Mpbs seems to be a good rate. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Kind of like the same thoughts posted earlier. The built in test rarely will max out a 1 gig connection, much less a 2. 

do you have a device that support link aggregation that you can test on? 

Have you tried running simultaneous speedtests with more than 1 device to see what they'd get? 

Message 2 of 5
Simple_AK
Tutor

I'm going to try testing multiple devices simultaneously and report back.  Thank you, @plemans!

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Only way you might see 2.5Gb is if you have a 5Ghz AX 4x4 MIMO antenna supporting device that can connect at 4800Mpbs on 5Ghz AX mode. And most users devices are 2x2, like phones and pads. 3000-4000Mpbs may see good speeds from the WAN side thru the AX wifi. 

The router supports the following:

5GHz AX: 4x4 (Tx/Rx) 1024-QAM
20/40/80/160MHz, up to 4.8Gbps< This is a connection rate only between the RAX and a supporting devices that can connect at that rate. 

However in my experiences with NG and ASUS, i've never been able to get anything to connect at that speed. Max speed i've seen is around 3200-3800Mpbs. Close range between the two devices. Was told by NG engineering that many things effect how devices and conenct at higher speeds. Noise, environment and distances seems to be factor. In a near perfect environment, I guess they can get those speeds, however in a average home or general environment, gettings those speeds just isn't possible. I wish ALL router mfrs would not market that speed. That speed won't be seen at great distances since the frequency is high and is effected by building materials. Same with 6Ghz. Even higher freq is still impacted by what 5Ghz has been dealing with. 2400Mpbs seems to be a good rate. 

Message 4 of 5
Simple_AK
Tutor

FURRYe38,

Thank you so much!  I set the higher 5Ghz band on my RAX200 to 4800Mbps/160Mhz on channel 100, and I was able to get about 1.5-1.6Gbps via an internet speed test on my Microsoft Surface Pro 7.  I'm pleased, but I wasn't able to set both 5Ghz bands to 4800Mbps without what I believe were interference problems, so I set channel 52 to 2400Mbps, and that band is rock solid for phones and other mobile devices (650-750Mbps).

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7