× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX200 - PS5 Won't Connect to Internet

Wifi6SoGood
Aspirant

RAX200 - PS5 Won't Connect to Internet

Hey Netgear Community, I just joined the Nighthawk family today.

I spent the better part of tonight migrating ~40 wifi devices at my home to the new Nighthawk Wifi (I run it in AP mode). Every device has connected sucessfully, except the PS5.

Here's my setup:

PFSense Firewall that hosts DHCP

Layer 2 switch that the nighthawk patches into, Nighthawk runs in AP mode

Nighthak has the latest firmware (V1.0.5.132_1.0.69)

In the same area of the house, within a couple of feet I also have a Xbox Seriers X, harmony smart hub, yahama receiver and Amazon Alexa that all connect without issues. only the PS5 is having problems.

PS5 connects to the Nighthawk, gets an IP address, but cannot connect to the internet.

PS5 connects to the internet fine when connecting to my other AP (different SSID) on the same network. PS5 also connects fine if I connect to my phone's hotspot, no issues, but it won't connect to the Nighthawk SSID for internet.

Here's what I've tried.

-Rebooted the night hawk

-Rebooted the PS5

-Factory reset the PS5

-Setup and attempted to connect to the Guest Network on Nighthawk (also fails)

-Manually set PS5 DNS to Cloudflare (1.1.1.1) and Google (8.8.8.8)

-Attempted connection via WPS instead of scanning for networks

-Manually put in SSID info for manual setup

-Toggled between 2.4ghz, 5ghz, and automatic on the PS5 options for this SSID

Nothing works.  Yet if I power up my old AP (Linksys Velop) that's also in AP mode and connected to the same LAN, or connect to my phone hotspot, the PS5 connects to internet fine.

I've also changed the IP on the PS5 (set a dhcp reservation), same behavior, it connects to the AP and will get an IP address, but it does not finish the connection and fails when trying to connect to the internet.

I've serached on Google and not finding much.  

Any pointers?

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX200 - PS5 Won't Connect to Internet

I'd be looking more at your pfsense firewall. When the netgear is in AP  mode, the pfsense box is managing dhcp/nat/routing. If the ps5 is getting a IP address, the netgear is doing its job. But something between the device handling routing and the netgear is causing issues. 

Message 2 of 9
Wifi6SoGood
Aspirant

Unfortunetly, that's not the case.  The 40 other wifi devices can reach the internet fine, just not the PS5.

And there was a new problem this morning, which killed about an hour of my time, my son was playing the XSX and all the games have bad packetloss - Fornite, Splitgate, COD, Rocket League.  I powered up the old AP and he's able to play w/out packetloss, now both APs are broadcasting.

This is turning out to be a $400 mistake.  I turned off the 3 QOS options (Enable WMM), and after the router reboots, nothing can connect to Wifi (all connection failed).  Wifi only works when those 3 WMM options are enabled.  Ridiclous.

I'm going to do a factory reset on the Nighthawk and give this one last try.  If I can't get the PS5 to work, or if we get continued packet loss on the xbox, I'm going to return the stupid thing. 

The killer is wasting all the hours reconfiguring wifi on 40+ devices.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Can the PS5 ethernet connect to the RAX in AP mode and get internet? Do same with console connected to the firewall device. 

IF your other devices are connecting to the RAX in AP mode and the PS5 can't, this would probably be a PS5 issue. There are some known issues with newer game consoles. 1, xbox causing bad networking issues when connected. I believe PS has some wifi issues on the radios. 

Again, the RAX in AP node is just passing thru traffic and not doing ANY routing. Your host router or firewall is doing that and could be causing problems. 

Message 4 of 9
Rhudman
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem after installing my new CAX30 model. Spent 7 hours last night on the phone with Netgear trying to set mine up. Finally got everything connected.....except the PS5. It is hard wired and shows on the network, but the router isn't allowing it to get a connection.
Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the CAX Cable Modem products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Cable modems and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-cable-modems-routers

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

@Rhudman wrote:
I'm having the same problem after installing my new CAX30 model. Spent 7 hours last night on the phone with Netgear trying to set mine up. Finally got everything connected.....except the PS5. It is hard wired and shows on the network, but the router isn't allowing it to get a connection.

Message 6 of 9
Rhudman
Aspirant

Thanks for the link. I just Google the issue for PS5 and it brought me here. Good luck!
Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/PS5-will-not-connect-even-via-lan-on-CAX30/td-...

@Rhudman wrote:
Thanks for the link. I just Google the issue for PS5 and it brought me here. Good luck!

Message 8 of 9
Wifi6SoGood
Aspirant

While I didn't find a solution, I went an alternate route. I didn't want to burn another afternoon on this, so I simply connected the PS5 and XSX to a Linksys WUMC710 (wireless AC bridge).  I had it left over from a project a couple years ago and it's been in the closet collecting dust since, now it has a use again.

The PS5 finally connects (albiet not how I wanted to connect to it), and the XSX packetloss has gone away when using the wireless bridge. They both speed test over 300mbits, good enough.  For whatever reason, the NightHawk doesn't play nicely w/ the latest consoles, or at least mine doesn't. Neither the PS5 or XSX had issues with my older Velop Wifi 5 AP, but it's bonkers w/ the Nighthawk.

When troubleshooting the XSX packetloss, I noticed how my wired desktop ping range to the XSX would vary like crazy, from 1ms to 300ms, nothing stable, so that explains my kid's raging fit this morning.  Connecting the XSX and PS5 to this wireless bridge, now I'm constantly pinging the XSX with 1-2ms response, the PS5 is re-downloading a few 100gbs of everything I wiped off it.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7