× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX200 Router Turns off by itself

ankit49
Aspirant

RAX200 Router Turns off by itself

Hi,

I just bought the RAX200 with much excitement to make best use of my gigabit internet connection.

Without even discussing about no better speed than my X6S router, I am most dissapointed as the router turns off itself periodically! Its not only wireless but the entire router seems to just die.

To bring it back, I need to turn the physical power button off and then on again and it starts working.

Am I missing some standby settings for the router as it seems odd that a top of the line router like this would have a problem just staying on??

Thanks!

Ankit

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 11
ankit49
Aspirant

Could it also be overheating?? Its not too hot but seems the router gets hot and the fan doesnt work all the time.

Message 2 of 11
plemans
Guru

If its randomly dying and you're still in your return/exchange window, I'd exchange it. I've got an RAX200 and its never powered down on its own. 

When it happens what are the led's doing? Do they shut off? If they do, that's not a good sign. Again, return/echange it. If you're not in that period, it should have a 1-2 year warranty depending on your region. Start a support case. 

Message 3 of 11
ankit49
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

The LED's turn off, its dead until I restart it. 

I believe it is an overheating issue. Getting a replacement is not easy as I have bought it from Amazon Global shipment to India. Spent USD 1000 for a product that isnt even ready for the market yet? Netgear has definitely dissapointed!

I am trying to downgrade the firmware to see if the fan works better this way as I hardly feel it working on the latest firmware.

Message 4 of 11
plemans
Guru

Have you checked your power supply? 

Message 5 of 11
ankit49
Aspirant

Yes already tried with another power supply. Same issue

Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

I wouldn't say it wasn't ready for market. I'd bet something was damaged in shipment or was a defect from the factory. Unfortunately it does happen.  It really sucks when it happens and its even worse when it happens to a expensive product. But its why there are warranties.

I've had the RAX200 since release without reboot. Admittedly the firmware is still a work in process but its been getting better with every release. That's why I'd say its probably a defect or damaged during shipping. 

Message 7 of 11
ankit49
Aspirant

Its actually been handled quite well and seems like a factory defect. But an other update is that since downgrading the firmware it has not turned off since the last 24 hours. I shall post an update after another 2-3 days of use for other's reference.

Message 8 of 11
ankit49
Aspirant

Still no help. BEWARE OF OVERHEATING ISSUES!!

For me its a useless device

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

I've had the RAX200 since release and its not gotten hot or overheated a single time. I've never even had the fan kick on and I've put some serious load on it for testing.

like I said prior, you've probably gotten a defective device. this is the point of warranties as it doesn't matter how good your manufacturing process is, there's going to be a certain percentage of defects. Contact netgear through the "mynetgear" support option.

You click "mynetgear" register an account and then your device. From there you can go through support for repair/replacment options. 

Message 10 of 11
ankit49
Aspirant

I understand but just not fun when it happens.

I contacted them and they told me no way to service it in the UAE. 

Thank you guys,

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7