× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX200 Slow Wifi 6 Speed - 5 FT Smart Steering or 5 GHZ Hi

jakesteele
Aspirant

RAX200 Slow Wifi 6 Speed - 5 FT Smart Steering or 5 GHZ Hi

Hey Everyone,

I have a new RAX 200, I set it up and I am having some issues.

#1 the biggest issue is that the speeds within 5 ft in AC or AX with intel AX200 card are around 100-300 mbps U/D. On my modem/router from my ISP they are 500-700 and I pay for 1000 up / 1000 down. 

- I am using Smart Steering right now but I also tried manually setting up a Network and trying 5G-1 (4800 mbps) and 5G-2 (2400 mbps). I have OFDMA on and Airtime Fairness. 

- I am running the latest firmware 1.03

- I setup my Modem/Router to bridge

- I speed tested the RAX200 using QoS and got 950/875 which is fine. 

#2 The QoS and Access Control are not updating devices properly. Several devices don't show up, its showing mystery devices with weird ips. My iPhone is showing as wired. Everything seems all jacked up. 

Thought I would post here and see what you guys say before I go about returning it 😄 Thanks, hopefully someone can help me out!

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 6
jakesteele
Aspirant

I should mention the 4800 mbps and 2400 mbps were the throughput options listed, however I chose channel 161 and 44 because they were the least congested.

I did not have any other devices connected to the router during my testing. 

Oddly enough if I DC and connect quickly sometimes the speedtest bursts up to 600 but then very quickly drops back down to 150ish.

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

Which modem/gateway are you using? 
I know you said you have it in bridge mode but they don't all implement bridge mode properly. Have you ever tried putting the gateway in router mode and the RAX200 in AP (access point) mode and then speedtesting? 

Message 3 of 6
jakesteele
Aspirant

Hey,

I haven’t tried that, I did see it. I can’t use the QoS then correct? Seems like an expensive purchase to become a set of antennas infront of a working router haha. I will give it a try and report back.

The router modem supplied is a T3200M Actiontec it has a port bridge mode on lan 4 then I disabled the radios and dhcp on it.

I also tried using Unbound as a dns server and a custom dhcp on my pi this morning and disabling the feature on the rax200 in hopes to see some change and it didn’t help.

A quick wifi scan shows about 18-30% congestion on every channel spread out nothing crazy never really hops up higher.
Message 4 of 6
good4y0u
Star

It's important to note some IOS and Android devices use a random MAC when they connect unless the privacy setting is turned off. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227 

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

the AP mode is more of a test. if you have full speed in ap mode, then we look at the bridge mode on the actiontec's settings a little closer

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7