× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX200 Unresponsive

Jluttichau
Guide

RAX200 Unresponsive

I have this issue with my Nighthawk and it has occured a few times now. 

What i see is that there is a strong wifi signal as usual. But when i try to log onto the wifi it says the WIFI password is wrong (but it's not). All the lights are on the router, however the internet icon is amber as if the internet connection is down (it's not). There is no response when i use the night hawk app to connect remotely. 

When i use a wired connection from my PC it will not give me an IP adress from the DHCP.

When i powercycle the router it goes back to normal. But there is nothing useful in the logs to help me find the root of the problem.

Anyone else having this issue and found the cause of the crash, or is it just a bug in the router?

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 11
Jluttichau
Guide

The RAX200 is connected to my WNDR3800 that i use in access point mode. 

The problem that occurs also affects the WNDR3800 because it is no longer able to recieve WIFI connections, it says that the WIFI password is wrong. After a reboot of the WNDR3800 it works as normal.

Message 2 of 11
Jluttichau
Guide

In the time i have owned the RAX200 it has happened around 3 times, so on average once a month. And it always happens at night so when we get up the wifi is down (Imagine the horror). I will update this post when it happens again. 

Message 3 of 11
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Jluttichau, 

Welcome to the community! May I ask what firmware version is your router on? 

Christian 

Message 4 of 11
lmanpunk
Star

Firmware won't matter none of the version fix the issue of the RAX200 deciding to drop wifi where you no longer see it

Message 5 of 11
RajaDaja
Luminary

I had those same issues. Chalk it up to flaky firmware......BTW. what firmware are you on?    I'm on 1.0.2.8_1.0.45 which I found to be the most stable for me.

@Jluttichau wrote:

I have this issue with my Nighthawk and it has occured a few times now. 

What i see is that there is a strong wifi signal as usual. But when i try to log onto the wifi it says the WIFI password is wrong (but it's not). All the lights are on the router, however the internet icon is amber as if the internet connection is down (it's not). There is no response when i use the night hawk app to connect remotely. 

When i use a wired connection from my PC it will not give me an IP adress from the DHCP.

When i powercycle the router it goes back to normal. But there is nothing useful in the logs to help me find the root of the problem.

Anyone else having this issue and found the cause of the crash, or is it just a bug in the router?

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router, RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 6 of 11
Jluttichau
Guide

So this morning it occured again, it's says the password is incorrect. 

A small twist this morning as I am also unable to log into the nighthawk app so i can't get too see if the router is behaving like the last time.

It's been around a month now since it happened last, there have been no issues in this period, but now it doesn't work. This is extremely frustrating and time consuming for a product that should be top of the line. I am seriously considering chaging over to some other brand.

I am always running the latest firmware, and i don't see downgrading to a former version as a viable solution as this will remove any security patches that have been released.

Message 7 of 11

And your modem, if there is one, is?

Message 8 of 11
Jluttichau
Guide

I don't understand your question, could you elaborate?

So recent update, i had the same problem two days in a row. 

I now have a very cheap nighthawk for sale, comes with endless amounts of headaches.

Message 9 of 11
Jluttichau
Guide

So the problem intensifies, the only change has been the upgrade to the new firmware a few weeks ago and now the problem has occoured every morning. There was a twist in the problem today, the router began working some time in the day but now it says the password is incorrect again.

Message 10 of 11

I had a similar problem, in my case the WiFi was slowing down to the point powercycling the router was a temprary fix (I thought it was firmware at this point). Keep in mind, at no time were my wired connections affected. Upon cycling the power the first time I noticed the surface being hot but didn't think much of it... Fast forward a couple weeks, the powercycling was not making a change in performance and now I was seeing intermittent dropping. When I attempted to login to the router over the 2.4 or 5.0 - 2 of 5 attempts were successful but the homepage to the router UI was slow in rendering. The 3 other attempts the connection would fail all together either as Connection_Err or device cannot_be_found. Fast forward to today, WiFi is completely down, non-responsive and Support is in a daze... I've restored from factory twice and waiting for an RMA. I'll update this post as new information comes

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7