× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX200 WAN Aggregation auto QOS bug

RAX200 WAN Aggregation auto QOS bug

On current and shipping firmware, RAX200 will cut wired and wireless internet speeds in HALF when WAN aggregation is active. This appears to be a bug with WAN aggregation implementation during channel bonding that the RAX120 does not have.
Note RAX200 Disables QOS when WAN aggregation is active but somehow still seems to cap wired and wireless speeds at 500mbps despite gigabit plus connection. Speedtest in router UI shows 1400mbps. Internet speeds to all devices connected to router via any method are capped at 500mbps. Speeds work as expected when using WAN points by itself with aggregation disabled.
Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 15
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

YoungSpicket,

Thanks for bringing this up. I'll have this escalated to the team and I'll provide an update as soon as possible. 

Christian 

Message 2 of 15

Thanks Christian. Also, I noticed that there seems to be WPA2 authentication issues after changing wifi settings (at least on the 5ghz band), sometimes it won't except the saved wifi password until another reboot of the router.

As an aside, besides naming both 5ghz bands the same name, is there a way for the router to smartly balance between the 5 ghz bands WITHOUT the 2.4 band ala the Asus AX11000, which i believe shares a chipset with the AX12 triband.

Message 3 of 15
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi YoungSpicket, 

I have sent you a message with further questions for further isolation. 

Christian 

Message 4 of 15

I answered your questions. My current config file doesn't have WAN aggregation enabled and I am not turning it on again as it will require me to reset all my settings to fix it afterwards. I use my router for business purposes and can't afford to keep doing that.

Message 5 of 15
Konkhra
Tutor

Has this been addressed yet? I just set this up with a RAX200 and CM1150v but seems speeds are way off. 

Message 6 of 15
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Konkhra, 

I'd like for our support team to reach out to you for assistance. If you're interested, please send me a message with your contact info and serial number. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 7 of 15
Kswick
Aspirant

Any new news on this?

RAX200 with Wan Aggregation enabled to CM1200.

QoS as stated won't enable and despite getting 800-1200mb to the modem, I'm lucky if the router ever is able to get over 500mb on the QoS speedtest page. Wired or Wirelss connections cannot get over 300MB down. It's quite disappointing. 

Message 8 of 15
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Have you tried enable and disable QOS. On my RAX80 after reboot my speeds are cut in half. To get full speed I enable QoS.... wait 30 seconds.... disable QoS... then I get full speeds. If I reboot have to do process again... or sometimes randomly it will cut in half and quick enable followed by disable gives me full speed.

Message 9 of 15
Kswick
Aspirant

I can't. The QoS checkbox is unable to be checked to enable it. 

Which I believe fits with the subject of this thread. I have both WAN and LAN aggregaton enabled. And right now I'm sad to say I"m getting 23MB download speeds and no more. So screwed up. 

Message 10 of 15
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Kswick, 

I would recommend getting in contact with our Support Team using the link below for further investigation. I can also assist with support reaching out if you can send me a message with your contact info and serial number. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Message 11 of 15
xxxXaviorxxx
Tutor

Hello,

After reading this thread I encountered the same issues as stated above. 

I turned WAN aggreation on as well as Ethernet aggregation (Static LAG, in this case) 

Experienced less than 28mbs coming to my gig port on my computer.

Turned ethernet agg off, restarted the modem, and my speed returned. 

I have since disabled etherenet agg all together. 

Now, another problem overnight my connection on my gig port on my computer went from 700-900Mbps to 28Mbps... (when nothing more than the computer is connected to the router, wifi turned off)

Only remedy is to restart my router to make the speed return. 

Another problem... which is annoying but not the end, is when you turn on WAN Agg it disables my abiility to turn on QOS which I was enjoying tbh. 

My network currently supports +15 devices, 4 of which stream 4k. 

This is a +$600 router... I should be able to use all functions without having to downgrade connections. 

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING???

-Dillon

Message 12 of 15
xxxXaviorxxx
Tutor

Firmware  V1.0.2.8_1.0.45

Message 13 of 15
Konkhra
Tutor

If you have the ability I suggest returning it and getting another brand. Their engineers haven't been able to fix the problems. I haven't heard from CS since last beta firmware went out. I am on my 3rd unit from them and issues are still there. CS claimed the engineers couldn't replicate the issues yet each unit i have gotten, and obviously other peoples, have same issues.
Message 14 of 15
xxxXaviorxxx
Tutor

Konkhra, 

Thank you for the heads up man, that's terrible to hear that you're still having that many issues.

I bought the CM1200 just for the Agg capabalities, but since it's causing so many problems with my connections I'm just going to return it. 

It's a pretty huge loss that you can't do LACP with stability and have it not effect the end devices. I've reverted to a single CAT5e connection to my modem and a single downstream CAT5e to my gigswitch. Netgear is getting a BIG black mark on their report card from my position. 

Thank you for the info.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7