× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX200 - WPS light continues blinking. Already tried rebooting.

SpecialK214
Tutor

RAX200 - WPS light continues blinking. Already tried rebooting.

I recently installed Netgear CM1150V Modem, RAX200 Router and EX7700 Extender.  Everything is set up and working.  When connecting my Extender, I used the WPS feature.  Now the WPS light on the Router continues blinking, eventhough my extender is already connected.  I tried rebooting all devices, but the WPS light will not stop blinking.  Any help would be most appreciated.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 46
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello SpecialK214, 

Were you able to successfully get your extender connected to the RAX200? You can confirm this by checking the attached devices on the RAX200 web admin page. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 2 of 46
Yeronimo
Tutor

I have the same problem. 

WPS won't stop blinking. Even after restarting. Reset required, and after pressing WPS, it continues to blink again. (And SmartConnect doesn't work, keeps dropping the connection, and the range is shorter than my 4 year old non-Netgear router, and some devices don't connect at 2.4 GHz.)  

HardwareversionRAX200

FirmwareversionV1.0.2.8_1.0.45
Message 3 of 46
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Yeronimo, 

Were you attempting to connect an extender or any other device via WPS? 

Christian 

Message 4 of 46
JPaquette
Star

I have the same issue the WPS light won't stop blinking. Just finished a CHAT session with Netgear tech support, I was told this is perfectly normal! Nothing is required.

@Yeronimo wrote:

I have the same problem. 

WPS won't stop blinking. Even after restarting. Reset required, and after pressing WPS, it continues to blink again. (And SmartConnect doesn't work, keeps dropping the connection, and the range is shorter than my 4 year old non-Netgear router, and some devices don't connect at 2.4 GHz.)  

HardwareversionRAX200

FirmwareversionV1.0.2.8_1.0.45

Message 5 of 46
Yeronimo
Tutor

Hi Christian, 

I have successfully connected a FRITZ! 1750E WLAN repeater via WPS. But RAX 200 WPS does not stop blinking, only after a factory reset. And one thing is for sure, this is obviously NOT a completely normal behavior, as stated in the post of April 29th.  

Best regards, 

Yeronimo 

Message 6 of 46
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JPaquette & Yeronimo,

May you try performing a factory reset on the router by holding down on the reset button with a pin for 15+ seconds. After doing so, you will be prompted to run through the setup assistant again. Please let me know the outcome. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 7 of 46
Yeronimo
Tutor

Hi Christian, 

I did that many times. Factory reset, then it stops blinking. But when you press the WPS button again, it doesn't stop blinking. 

Best regards, 

Yeronimo

Message 8 of 46
JPaquette
Star

Hi,

same for me, reset and setup doesn't help. I was told via tech support chat again yesterday that this isn't an issue! Wish you'd come up with solution! Resetting and setting up several times with the same results .......

Best,

jim

Message 9 of 46
SpecialK214
Tutor

Hi Christian,

I did not have an issue connecting my NG Extender to my NG router.  The issue is the annoying, contantly blinking, WPS light.  I spent 2 hours on the phone with NG support.  We went through a complete reinstall of the RAX200 Router and 7700 Extender.  It was a waste of time, as the WPS light still blinks contantly.  It seems, that NG has a flaw in their software.  I have my Router set with the Smart Connect feature, to allow the Router to choose the 2.4 gHz or 5G radio as a device connects.  When set this way, the WPS light constantly blinks.  I wish that NG would provide a fix for this in the next firmware update.

Thanks!

Message 10 of 46
SpecialK214
Tutor

Hi Christian,

To add, factory reset and resetting up the router, makes no difference.  The WPS light constantly blinks.  After 2 hours with support, the tech finally said this was normal.  This should not be considered "normal".  I have never encounter this before with prior NG routers.  And I prefer the Smart Connect feature, which I used on my prior NG router.

Thanks!

Message 11 of 46
BLUE-DRAGON
Guide

Please release a new firmware right away.  When you push the WPS, the light constantly blinks and doesn't turn off.  It leaves my network open to attack.  Please fix this right away.

Message 12 of 46
JPaquette
Star

A firmware upgrade to fix this issue would be great! I feel my network is prone to unwanted attacks as well. I don't understand why this hasn't been corrected already thru firmware. As nothing else seems to correct the problem. Being told by tech support it's normal isn't acceptable....

best,

jim Paquette 

Message 13 of 46
BLUE-DRAGON
Guide

Please release a new firmware right away.  When you push the WPS, the light constantly blinks and doesn't turn off.  It leaves my network open to attack.  Please fix this right away.

Message 14 of 46
BLUE-DRAGON
Guide

Message 15 of 46
TerenceChan
Initiate

Same here, please release new firmware ASAP

Message 16 of 46
BLUE-DRAGON
Guide

were the **bleep** is new firmware

Message 17 of 46
TypoPR
Initiate

Same issue here. -new router. Set up wireless printer with WPS and now it won’t stop blinking. Please fix or respond or this is going straight back to BestBuy.
Message 18 of 46
BLUE-DRAGON
Guide

That’s the same thing happened to me with a printer but I found a fix for it get the old firmware flashback and then flash forward again and it stops it from Blinking
Message 19 of 46
BLUE-DRAGON
Guide

Message 20 of 46
Alpha_K
Tutor

Yeah mine won't stop blinking either. Pretty annoying.

Message 21 of 46
jreadme
Initiate

Per the findings of others on this thread, when using the RAX200 with Firmware Version 1.0.2.8, if you press the WPS LED button and it starts blinking, it continues blinking indefinitely.  If you are able to get the WPS LED back to a solid state by reverting to an older version of the firmware or completing a factory reset, the next time you press the WPS LED button, the WPS LED is back to a state of blinking indefinitely.  After multiple hours of testing during a Chat session with Netgear, I was eventually told that our testing indicated it might be an issue with firmware and that they will be escalating it to the concerned team to work upon.

The testing that eventually seemed to indicate an issue was as follows (which starts while the router is at Firmware Version 1.0.2.8):

1. Obtain Firmware Version 1.0.1.12
    1. Navigate to https://www.netgear.com/support/
    2. Enter RAX200 and select RAX200 – Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router / RAX200
    3. Click Downloads
    4. Under Firmware and Software Downloads, click + View Previous Versions
    5. Click FirmWare Version 1.0.1.12
    6. Click Download
    7. Extract the contents of the downloaded RAX200-V1.0.1.12_1.0.41.zip to a folder (including RAX200-V1.0.1.12_1.0.41.chk and RAX200-V1.0.1.12_1.0.41_Release_Notes.html)
  2. Revert to Older Firmware Version 1.0.1.12
    1. While on a device connected to the router network, log into the router at http://www.routerlogin.net using the admin user account
    2. Click on the ADVANCED tab
    3. Click on Administration +
    4. Click on Router Update
    5. Click the Browse button
    6. Select the RAX200-V1.0.1.12_1.0.41.chk file where the content of the zip file were extracted
    7. Click Upload
    8. At All existing Internet connections will be terminated, click OK
    9. At Warning! The firmware version you are trying to upload is older than the one you had., click Continue
    10. At The router is updating its firmware and then The router is rebooting.  It might take up to two minutes for your changes to take effect., wait for the router to reboot
  3. Verify Blinking Issue Does Not Occur
    1. After the router has rebooted, click the WPS LED that is solid
    2. Verify the WPS LED starts blinking
    3. After five minutes passes, verify the WPS LED stops blinking
  4. Update to Latest Firmware
    1. While on a device connected to the router network, log into the router at http://www.routerlogin.net using the admin user account
    2. Click on A router firmware upgrade is available.
    3. Under Firmware Update Assistant, at Do you want to update the firmware?, click Yes
    4. At The router is updating its firmware and then The router is rebooting.  It might take up to two minutes for your changes to take effect., wait for the router to reboot.
  5. Verify Blinking Issue Does Occur
    1. After the router has rebooted, click the WPS LED that is solid.
    2. Verify the WPS LED starts blinking
    3. After five minutes passes, verify the WPS LED continues to blink

After this testing, to get the WPS LED to remain solid, I followed only steps 1 through 4 above and will avoid pressing the WPS LED button again until after there is hopefully a firmware update that addresses the issue. 

A couple side notes:

• After updating back to the Latest Firmware in step 4 above, I seemed to more quickly be able to access the Internet from a device that was connected to the router network than I was able to log back into the router at http://www.routerlogin.net.  When trying this the first time, I powered the router off and then back on again to resolve the issue, but it was taken care of a subsequent time by just waiting a little longer.
  • When first troubleshooting the issue, while I was using the latest firmware and my WPS LED was indefinitely blinking, I used the Back Up option (ADVANCED tab -> Administration -> Backup Settings -> Back Up) to save a cfg file to my computer.  After completing a factory reset of the router, the WPS LED was solid.  As soon as I used the Restore option (ADVANCED tab -> Administration -> Backup Settings -> Restore) and the router rebooted, the WPS LED started blinking indefinitely (without me pressing the WPS LED button).  It seems like the state where the WPS LED is blinking indefinitely is saved in the cfg file.
Message 22 of 46
japierce
Guide

ditto, my RAX-200 when connected to my x6s extender is contantly blinking.

Are we leaving our network vulnerable?

Please help netgear, where are you???

Message 23 of 46
BLUE-DRAGON
Guide

Message 24 of 46
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Nighthawk Community, 

Our engineering team is aware of an issue with the WPS LED light blinking on the RAX200. They are working on a fix but we currently do not have an ETA on the next firmware release. 

Christian 

Message 25 of 46
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7