× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX200 - WPS light continues blinking. Already tried rebooting.

JPaquette
Star

Thank you!look forward to the new firmware release.

jim

Message 26 of 46
SpecialK214
Tutor

Hi Chrisian,

Any update on the Firmware Update to stop the WPS light from constantly blinking? 

Just to update, I turned off Smart Connect and have re-setup my router several times now, no change.  The WPS light continues to blink.  Please provide an update on when the Firmware Update will be made available to fix this issue.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 27 of 46
Raiden85
Initiate

Hopefully this issue will be fixed soon. Bought the RAX200 this week and had to use WPS to setup a printer, on the latest firmware 1.0.2.88 it will blink forever once pressed.

I did fix it temporily by downgrading to 1.0.1.12, this thankfully kept my settings and stopped the blinking. I then upgraded back to 1.0.2.88 and the blinking has stopped while still retaining all my settings. Can't press this again otherwise it will cause it to blink again. Seems this bug only occured since the 1.0.2.88 firmware.

Apart from that small issue I'm very happy with this router coming from the RX8000.

Message 28 of 46
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello SpecialK214 - May you update to the latest firmware version and let me know how it turns out. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061900/RAX200-Firmware-Version-1-0-2-88

Christian 

Message 29 of 46
jreadme
Initiate

Hi Christian,

After seeing your latest post that a new firmware update was available, I updated the firmware per the following steps:

1. While on a device connected to the router network, log into the router at http://www.routerlogin.net using the admin user account
  2. Click on A router firmware upgrade is available.
  3. Under Firmware Update Assistant, at Do you want to update the firmware?, click Yes
  4. At The router is updating its firmware and then The router is rebooting.  It might take up to two minutes for your changes to take effect., wait for the router to reboot.

After the router rebooted, I followed the steps below:

1. While on a device connected to the router network, log into the router at http://www.routerlogin.net using the admin user account
  2. Verify that the Firmware Version now indicates V1.0.2.88_1.0.50 in the upper left hand corner
  3. Click the WPS LED that is solid
  4. Verify the WPS LED starts blinking
  5. After five minutes passes, check the WPS LED

Unfortunately, when doing this (and actually waiting over ten minutes on the last step just in case), it continues to blink to where this firmware update does not seem to resolve the issue.

To get the WPS LED back out of a blinking state, I have to do the same workaround as detailed in my previous post, specifically reverting back to FirmWare Version 1.0.1.12 before then again updating to the latest Firmware Version 1.0.2.88.   

As far as this thread is concerned, thanks for at least letting us know there was a new firmware update available and checking to see if it might have fixed the problem.   

On a more unfortunate customer service note, when checking My Support for my Netgear account, I find that the Netgear case that was opened on 5/16/2020 per the testing I described in my last post indicates a Closed Date of 2020-05-19 10:56:43.  Its Communication History is limited to This case has already been closed, please log a new support request if you require further help.  After my initial chat session, the only follow up from Netgear I recieved regarding the case was a request for a customer satisfaction survey (which I now realize was triggered by the case being closed) and a reminder about the same customer satisfaction survey.

Message 30 of 46
Alpha_K
Tutor

Still blinking after the firmware update

Message 31 of 46
JPaquette
Star

Same here, light still blinking:(

jim

Message 32 of 46
hamish226
Aspirant

just to echo what everyone else is saying, the only way, seemingly to have it not blink incessantly is to factory reset and then restore your settings manually and NOT via a back-up file, which will reintroduce the incessant blibking.

don't forget ypu can use the "soft push button" in WPS Wizard and it works just as effectively.  i haven't tried manually restoring the settings, and then using the soft push button for a WPS connect, to see if that reintroduces the bug?  anyone?

i'm pretty sure we are not network vulnerable with the blinking, it's just annoying; and don't forget you can turn off all the LED's using the LED on/off switch next to the reset button or from the LED Control settings, if it irritates you that much 🙂

Message 33 of 46
SpecialK214
Tutor

Hi Christian,

I updated my router to the latest firmware 1-0-2-88.  No change.  The WPS light continues to blink.  When will NetGear issue a firmware update to actually resolve this issue?

Message 34 of 46
cphymel
Aspirant

Please release a new firmware right away! When you push the WPS, the light constantly blinks and doesn't turn off.  Does the leave my network open to attack or unauthorized devices to connect?  Please fix this right away.  Is Netgear even working on this issue?  What is a ETA for new firware to get the fix?  Just purchased, but may return this unit and go back to Belkin!  For the top of the line unit and the very expensive cost of this unit, this model should be trouble free!  I have tried most all the attemps by others, but still in the same position of the blinking light.  It is incomprehensible how this issue was not found in the development and testing process.

Netgear, your reputation is on the line here!

CPH

Message 35 of 46
JPaquette
Star

Yep, the blinking light continues! I've been told several times by tech support that “ it’s normal and not to worry “ somehow it’s not comforting. I have owned only Netgear products for many years, this unit has been a huge disappointment! Tech support is useless! Jim
Message 36 of 46
cphymel
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

I did come accross a setting that gives this option:

"Block all new devices from connecting"

Hopefully this will help with the security issues of unauthorized users.

This setting  is located under the advanced tab/security/access control

CPH

Message 37 of 46
BLUE-DRAGON
Guide

i find a fix for this 

i got rid of this and got the AmpliFi ALIEN Router so much better and way faster then the rax200

Message 38 of 46
kryptoknight
Tutor

I'm also getting the same problem; router is currently on firmware version V1.0.2.88_1.0.50.  Looks like there's a new beta version for download - V1.0.2.92_1.0.50_beta - on the Netgear support site.  The release notes for it sucks - just says "security fix" and no other details.  Hesitant to push this to my router since it's beta and I have no idea what's in it.  I'm actually disappointed in the new products from NetGear.  I also purchased the EAX80 and having disconnect issues with EAX80 extender.  But I digress. These issues are serious which cause core functionalities and security risks.  Support is par at best.  These problems shouldn't even be happening if these products/firmwares are thoroughly tested before release (serious QA control).  And when these problems are reported, they should be fixed immediately, not wait for months on end without any updates.  I used to be a fan of Netgear and a huge advocate for their products.  I've already invested in these products and can't return them because my return window has passed.  Now all I can do is just wait and wait and wait for firmware updates in the hopes that these updates will fix these core issues.  If not, I might just consider dumping them for a loss and getting a new router/extender or mesh system from another vendor.

Message 39 of 46
JPaquette
Star

Yep! Still waiting for a fix!

Message 40 of 46
JPaquette
Star

Just installed the latest firmware update, NO more blinking light!

THANK YOU 🙂

Jim

Message 41 of 46
Alpha_K
Tutor

Yes the lastest update stops the blinks WPS light. Although if you push it again, it won't stop. Still Broken.

What......is.....the......hold.....up...?

Message 42 of 46
JPaquette
Star

Yikes! What incomptence.... here I thought it was finally fixed. 

Jim

Message 43 of 46
arturgrigor
Aspirant

The issue is finally fixed in the V1.0.2.98_1.0.54 firmware.
Message 44 of 46
RobF285
Aspirant

Unfortunately, although it may fix the blinking light there are issues with that firmware V1.0.2.98_1.0.54. On support to Netgear and they had asked me to do a firmware downgrade and it turns out that the V1.0.2.98_1.0.54 firmware has been pulled by Netgear.

This Router has great performance and range but it's firmware makes Asus Router's look polished and refined. I am lucky i am in the return window, so i think this is the final straw for me, it's going back and Netgear has not only lost a customer but gained a vocal complainer as to the quality of their equipment.

Message 45 of 46
NetJoe
Tutor

Yep, mine is installed today with latest firmware.  Attempted WPS for an extender and blinking continues.  

Message 46 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7