× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX200 is the ultimate POS-Overheats-drops 2.4 and net

wingdam
Star

RAX200 is the ultimate POS-Overheats-drops 2.4 and net

Here's my story: I bought this as an open box unit when I was in Chicago before the shutdown and at first thought it was pretty good with great range on the 2.4 band for my security cameras. Now it keeps disconnecting the 2.4 band, drops the internet connection and overheats. The case temp right now is 124 degrees and the fan is not running. I can find no way to turn on the fan as I think the problems might be due to overheating. I'm using 1.0.2.8 as there are too many reported problems with the latest version. Here's what makes netgear and this router the worst. as this almost $600 router was a demo/openbox it was registered when set up by the store and I have no warranty or support. This is the ONLY product from cars to electronics where you no longer get the remaining portion of the warranty. I'm both a certified Microsoft and Intel system builder and I will inform all of my customers to NEVER buy a netgear product. This will be going in the trash and I'll go to Asus or linksys in the future. No wonder there are now so many for sale cheap on Ebay. If they still have CES this year I can hardly wait to visit their booth.
Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 4
TrotterX
Star

Re: RAX200 is the ultimate POS-Overheats-drops 2.4 and net

Hi

Another RAX200 dropping WiFi mine has been doing the same since the latest update and no way of rolling it back that I can see. I’ve been trying to contact netgear myself but with no luck and my RAX200 is only a month old with support still on and can’t get through to them for love nor money.

I have found a little work around after messing with some of settings that seems to have stabilised things as I’ve had no drop outs for a week where it was several times a day. I have switched off air time fairness and set the WiFi speeds across the channels back to default rather then all being on max I’m no expert in this area so you may understand better how this has seemed to have worked it may well be that if the fault is the router getting to hot that changing these settings is making it work less hard thus cooling it down
Message 2 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello TrotterX, 

You may contact support by registering your device using the link below. I have also included a link for you to view our current and previous firmware versions of the RAX200. 

Support: https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

RAX200 Firmwares: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX200.aspx#download

Christian 

Message 3 of 4
lmanpunk
Star

Yep the RAX200 is the worst router I have ever owned.  Netgear needs to admit their mistake and recall it.  Netgear should offer a money back guarnatee.  I would do accept it immediately

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7