× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX200 no Gig output from LAN ports

MaximusC
Aspirant

RAX200 no Gig output from LAN ports

Anyone having issues with their RAX200 throttling back from the LAN ports?  I have gig service from Comcast, speed at CM1200 is ~950mb/sec, speed at RAX200 internet port-in is ~950mb/sec (according to speedtest on Nighthawk App and UI), but the speed out is no more than ~350megs.  The issue is resolved everytime I do a factory reset on the router, but problem resurfaces a day a so after.  Firmware is the latest.  Currently on a level 2 with Netgear but they haven't been able to figure it out.  I've replace the unit already (along with the CM1200 and my GS810EMX switch).  I've also replaced the ALL the cables from CAT6 to CAT8.  Any insight greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 11
ZIF
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: RAX200 no Gig output from LAN ports

Are you testing from the same device each time or multiple devices?

Message 2 of 11

Welcome to the party sir. Take it back and get the 120
Message 3 of 11
MaximusC
Aspirant

What do you mean by same device?

Message 4 of 11
MaximusC
Aspirant

That's just odd to me that they don't have a solution.  Wouldn't the 120 have the same harware for internal switch electronics though?  Did you resolve the issue by switching to the 120?  Thanks.

Message 5 of 11
Topology
Virtuoso

MaximusC, the issue you are describing is one experienced by others (e.g., see RAX 200 slow LAN and Wireless).

Although I understand that Netgear L1 and L2 support has yet been unable to provide a solution to the problem, could you kindly reply and list all the troubleshooting activities they have recommended? While those activities have not rectified the issue for you, they may be of assistance to others in this community struggling with the same difficulty – and, would help forum members avoid mentioning things in this thread you have already tested.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 6 of 11
MaximusC
Aspirant

Topology,  the only troubleshooting steps they have recommended is factory-resetting the router. 

In addition to the usual - reflashing the firmware, checking connection speed at modem, plugging device directly into LAN ports instead of through switch, changing cables, shutting off the AX feature on the radio, shutting off the radio entirely, etc.

Best, 

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

After a factory reset, make sure to not enable: traffic monitoring, qos, parental controls, disney circle, or any other traffic monitoring setup. They disable the ctf (cut through forwarding). this cuts speeds drastically. 

Not saying it'll help as I've experienced the same issue on my RAX200 but It seems to be working fine now on gigabit. I'm on version 1.0.1.12. After I installed it, I factory reset it, then I only enabled the basic settings such as ssid/password/lan reservations. 

Message 8 of 11
Topology
Virtuoso

Plemans, with QoS (WMM) disabled, do you experience a significant decrease in WiFi performance?

P.S.:  Such a decrease may be expected, according to the following article, which notes that WiFi is limited to 54Mbps when QoS (WMM) is disabled: Don't Mess With WMM! 

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

I just didn't ever enable QoS. I left it as it was from a factory reset. don't disable WMM as its required to hit speeds >54mbps. 

Message 10 of 11
Topology
Virtuoso

MaximusC, I was hoping that Netgear support would have been able to suggest useful troubleshooting steps that were not obvious – but, alas, such was not the case.

FYI: An interesting methodology for measuring router LAN throughput is described in the following article:  Router "WAN to LAN" throughput TEST 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7