× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX200 optimal WIFI settings for PS5

chuckmorr1s
Aspirant

RAX200 optimal WIFI settings for PS5

Hi,
I’m wondering if I could get some help setting up my new router (RAX200).

I purchased this router to get the best WIFI performance with my PS5 as I’m unable to connect direct to the router. I’m not sure if I’m using the optimum settings for a WiFi/PS5 connection.

I’ve set it up to use the second 5ghz band using channel 128 in the 4800 mbps mode. Nothing else is using this band.
I checked the nighthawk app and it says the link rate is 816 mbps.

Are these the best settings? Is there anything I can enable/disable to boost my WiFi performance for PS5 gaming?

Thanks in advance

Gareth
Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 3
chuckmorr1s
Aspirant

Also, would I get better WIFI performance if I turn off QoS?

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

If you're speeds are greater than 250mbps, then I'd disable qos. 

In terms of speeds, If you're connected at a 816mbps (link speed), you're fine. It doesn't take much throughput for gaming/streaming. Even a 4k stream only needs around 20-40mbps.  So you're already supplying the ps5 with a better connection than it needs for gaming/streaming. Plus without knowing the size/structure/distance issues of your home, its tough to say if 816mbps is a reasonable expectation for you. 5ghz speeds/link rates drop off quickly with distance/obstructions. 

In terms of improving performance, its more about lower latency than it is necessarily about speed (once you hit a certain speed, and you're there). You can improve latency issues by hardwiring in the PS5 if you're needing to cut some ping times off. 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7