× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX200 poor WiFi worse than R8500

joe_wht
Luminary

RAX200 poor WiFi worse than R8500

I've had my RAX200 over a month now and I'm not happy.  My OLD Netgear R8500 was ten times BETTER!

I live in a FHA 1200 sq ft house. The router is in the center of the house, in a hallway on top of a bookshelf.

In the open living room 30 feet line of sight I get perfect preformance.

The bedroom open door is 30 feet & my ipad & iphone 15 more feet away and it Freaken DRAGS with

this RAX200 router on both 5Ghz or 2.4.

With the R8500 it was Blazing Fast.. Heck, I could walk out in the backyard and have perfect signal.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX200 poor WiFi worse than R8500

Some actual details help.

1. What firmware is on the router?

2. What modem are you connected to?

3. What speeds do you get over a hardwired connection on the router?

4. The rax200 has smart connect, are you using it? It tends to default devices to the 2.4ghz band which in congested environments, is poor performing. If you're using this in a congested environment, disable it and seperate out the 2.4ghz and 5ghz band

5. What speeds are you getting over 2.4ghz? 5ghz? 

6. What device are you testing with? Have you tried multiple devices? Some devices have issues with the newer AX spec. Making sure their drivers are updated from the manufacturer (like intel/broadcom, not from lenovo/dell/etc) helps big time with new specs. 

7. Are you using qos, traffic monitoring, disney circle, armor, etc? Any of these can slow down performance

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7