× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX35 Access Point not receiving IP addresses

oopsyourhead
Tutor

RAX35 Access Point not receiving IP addresses

None of my devices receive an IP address from my modem/router when the RAX35 is set to Access Point mode. My previous router (an ASUS) did this just fine.

I've rebooted everything several times.

Modem/router (PACE 5268AC) is connected by a wired connection to the WAN port of the RAX35. The DHCP function on my Router/modem is not able to be turned off (no pass through mode). I saw this problem on another thread, but that thread wasn't technically for this issue, so i created another entry.

This is the thread where I saw the same thing mentioned:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/Rax35-Wireless-Bridge-Mode-unavail...

Probably the 4th or 5th entry on this thread.Describes my problem exactly.

Message 1 of 7
oopsyourhead
Tutor

Re: RAX35 Access Point not receiving IP addresses

I've also updated to the latest firmware (it did it automatically after setup)

Message 2 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello oopsyourhead, 

Thanks for posting. I'd like for our support reach out to you if you aren't in contact with them already. If you wish to be contacted, please send me a private message with your contact info and serial number. 

Christian 

Message 3 of 7
oopsyourhead
Tutor

I have sent you a PM

Message 4 of 7
WeidnerJ
Aspirant

Have the same issue here.  Got the RAX 35 router myself and opened Netgear cases:  NETGEAR Support Case #41988819
NETGEAR Support Case #41999187

They talked me through a work around (sloppy at best) by turning off the internal DHCP and instead of using the WAN port to connect to my Google Fiber router, use a LAN port and bridge that way.  I took that router back to the store and got another one (I didn't want a work around for what I paid for this router) and it did the exact same thing.   So I contacted Netgear again to see if they had a newer version or a beta version of software to try but no luck so I have just lived with it being this way for now, periodically checking for new firmware.   I have had lots of Netgear routers used in AP mode, and definately know this isn't right - and that is a major bug that Netgear doesn't care about.

Router Information
Hardware VersionR1.05

Firmware VersionV1.0.3.62_1.0.1

Message 5 of 7
oopsyourhead
Tutor

Yeah they gave me the workaround you're using too, but I don't think it's ideal. I may just replace the unit with another brand if they don't issue an actual fix
Message 6 of 7
robert_shetlton
Aspirant

I have the same issue I work for a cable company so with my package need to use their gateway and side car for security system but I have a switch ran to the gateway and the nighthawk off the switch it worked great until my IP changed on gateway I called support multiple times with no solution. They just tell me to disable wifi on AP which is pointless why would I want a $150 4 port switch the entire point was to extend my range and split amount of devices active on network
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7