× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX35 not reliable, even when going back to firmware 1.0.3.62

renaudje
Tutor

RAX35 not reliable, even when going back to firmware 1.0.3.62

It is written in the Community forum of Netgear that the latest firmware 1.0. 3.80 of my RAX35 causes problems, but it was OK for me for the last 2 months (since I bought it) ... 'til yesterday evening when I spent 3 hours to bring it up functional as before. I couldn't 😞 Wireless was not working at all ... cannot understand what happened but suddenly the router required an access password ...

After many attempts to make it work again (I'm an IT guy), I decided to downgrade the firmware to version 1.0. 3.62. Even then, I was UNABLE TO CHANGE THE SSID ?! Really strange. Also unable to activate the wireless through the software browser (Firefox). And even after activating it manually by pressing the button on the router, it still shows as inactivated on the software browser ?! And still unable to change the SSID and keep the previous settings of my devices. Many reboots with the firmware version 1.0.3.62: the wireless simply doesn't work + even the internet doesn't work. Really frustrating. Hectic/strange behavior. I finally reinstalled my previous Netgear WNDR3700 N600 : everything's now back to normal.

My new RAX35 router is now sitting on my desk, useless 😞 What kind of help can I get from Netgear to make it work? I'm willing to pay the difference (bought it 189 CAN$ on Amazon last August) for a more powerful (latest) one if possible. Very disappointed 😞 especially when I read on the Netgear Community Forum that this buggy firmware is known for many months now WITH NO REPLY / ACKNOWLEDGEMENT from Netgear: this is sad. At least, we can read this problem on their own Netgear forum: either Netgear is very transparent about it (to leave such bad reviews on their own website), or either they are not following up what their customers / supporters say on their forum ?!

Since it is said that users don't even get a reply from Netgear, I'm not attempting to contact someone directly, except that I'm gonna write this review on their own forum, hoping for a positive feedback. -- Jean.

Message 1 of 6
renaudje
Tutor

What a another strange thing: RAX35 does NOT appear on the list of Nergear Router models : my AX4 corresponds to RAX40 ?!  I read somewhere it was a question of USB port ?!  Anyway ...

To precise my various attempts to make my RAX35 work, I forgot to mention that:

- I RESET the router to factory settings with firmware version 80.  Since it didn't fixed my problem, ...

- I then downgraded from version 80 to version 62 ... with my problem still there + (like I said before) unable to modify the SSID + no internet (while I know from the modem provider lights that it's available).

- Replacing the whole router fixed everything. 

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 2 of 6
renaudje
Tutor

I gave another try this evening, doing another FACTORY RESET while using version 62 this time: everything's working fine now, I mean, I'm able to rename my SSID + internet is now working. 

I'm still puzzled why my RAX35 stopped working properly yesterday evening with version 80 after 2 months without any major problem : the browser was asking a Nighthawk authorization password or something like that + WI-FI/Internet was not available constantly (with the globe notification appearing once a while at the bottom right of Windows 10)?! 

Will keep you informed if it endures our daily tech life with version 1.0.3.62.  -- Jean.

Message 3 of 6
renaudje
Tutor

Was hoping to find some progress regarding this firmware problem 😞  Looks like there's nothing new regarding this matter.

Just want to let know to all of you that everything has been working smothly with version 62 pour the past 6 weeks after downgrading from version 80: no problem at all.  I disabled the automatic firmware update so I can stay with this present stable version 62.  I'm certainly not interested in installing version 80, and am hoping for a new firmware version. 

I noticed with version 80 the WPA3 Wi-Fi security protocol: this WPA3 option is not available with the firmware version 62.

Message 4 of 6
Adam420
Aspirant

Is my Nighthawk AX4 4-STREAM WIFI 6 Router AX3000/RAX35 actually called by the model name RAX40?! I'M REALLY CONFUSED! I keep seeing the name RAX40 popping up when I enter my router's name and model number here, and when I look into the Netgear forums or discussions it's never really an "RAX35" or "AX3000" anymore?! Also I've had to back and forth switch firmware almost 3 times since last year when I downloaded and installed previous older firmware because the newest version then (haven't even tried to let my router update to the newest firmware version yet) because last new firmware turned my router into a WiFi connection, ssid renaming piece of junk! And to think the guy who manages my satellite ISP highly recommended this router and said it was the high end latest and greatest upgradable to newest technology out of box expensive router! Nothing but trouble, no access control even though turned on, not really much customer support unless you're paying Netgear for subscription! WTH Netgear? I've always known this company since back in the early 90's when internet and personal computers were just beginning available to everybody! I know enough about tech to know that I feel trapped unless I'm paying for something?!
Message 5 of 6
Adam420
Aspirant

I am just as confused as you are, my friend, I feel like I got railroaded into buying this router from my ISP because of convenience of not having to go to Walmart before getting everything installed same day...
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7