× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX4 Router regularly drops WiFi connection to internet. Power off/on reboot resolves annoying

Broulee
Aspirant

RAX4 Router regularly drops WiFi connection to internet. Power off/on reboot resolves annoying prob

An annoying issue.  Is there a setting I should try.  I have done a factory reset and new setup, but problem still occurs regularly.

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX4 Router regularly drops WiFi connection to internet. Power off/on reboot resolves annoying

What firmware are you on? 

What modem is it connected to?

how frequently is it happening? 

Do devices say "connected no internet" or what exactly happens?

Message 2 of 12
Broulee
Aspirant

Model: C7500|Nighthawk X4-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 3 of 12

It is almost impossible to understand what is going on at your end, given how little information you have provided. But you seem to be trying to connect a router to a modem router.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I see no sign that you are using one of Netgear's "Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems", the subject of this section of this bit of the community.

Many questions apply to different types of device, so you might get responses here, but you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Cable Modems & Routers

and here:

Nighthawk Routers with WiFi 6 (AX) - NETGEAR Communities

Message 4 of 12
Broulee
Aspirant

Thank you.  The Netgear router is connected to the Australian Broadband Network.  It connects to the internet ok, but regularly, once or twice a day the WiFi drops the internet.  I don't think this is an NBN problem as a power off/on the Netgear WIFI/Router fixes the problem.

Message 5 of 12

@Broulee wrote:

The Netgear router is connected to the Australian Broadband Network. 

That tells us not much. There is no such thing as "the Australian Broadband Network". There are lots of different networks that go under the NBN label. It just mean "Internet in Australia"

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@Broulee wrote:

I don't think this is an NBN problem as a power off/on the Netgear WIFI/Router fixes the problem.

That is your diagnosis, but it may well be wrong. If you can't bring yourself to provide proper details of your modem, fine. You will just have to carry on with your dodgy network.

Message 6 of 12
Broulee
Aspirant

The Australian National Broadband Network NBN provides Internet via Fibre to our premises then the Netgear AX4 WiFi router connects via hard wire to it.  When the WIFI drops the internet to mobile devices and PC  via WiFi, hard wired devices connected to router via CAT 5 cable (such as google home mini) also loose connection to internet.  As previously advised a power down, removal of power supply for 10 secs, then restart of the router, solves the problem.  Thanks for your help Michael.

Message 7 of 12

@Broulee wrote:

As previously advised a power down, removal of power supply for 10 secs, then restart of the router, solves the problem. 

Glad you got it sorted, but for the benefit of others, this is not a useful description of how someone gets NBN.

@Broulee wrote:

The Australian National Broadband Network NBN provides Internet via Fibre to our premises .....

The "fibre" term is about as useful as saying "internet". Every Internet service uses fibre somewhere, but what sort of fibre and how does it arrive at your premises?

Here is a useful run down of the various flavours of NBN, many of which use "fibre":

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

A good way to explain your NBN service is to tell people what equipment your ISP installs. And saying "a box on the wall" isn't detailed enough. Then people can see if it is an optical (ONT), cable or phone (DSL) link, all of which are "fibre".

Message 8 of 12
Broulee
Aspirant

Sorry, it's not a modem/router it's an AX3000 WiFi router AX4.  The National Broadband Network provides Fibre Optic to the MDF in my apartment complex, then we have hardwired LAN cable from the MDF to each apartment where there is an NBN receiver which connects to the Netgear router via Cat5 cable.  As I previously mentioned the WiFi router drops the internet both WiFi and hardwired connections.  A power down and restart of the Router fixes the problem, which is why I suspect it's a Router problem, not an internet problem.  

Message 9 of 12
plemans
Guru

Running double nat can cause issues. 

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 10 of 12

@Broulee wrote:

Sorry, it's not a modem/router it's an AX3000 WiFi router AX4. 

I'm confused. Your first message flagged the R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi in the footer.

An "AX3000 WiFi router AX4"could be one of several things. AX3000  is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AX tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

You won't get AX3000  and AC2350  on one device. Do you have two things?

@Broulee wrote:

The National Broadband Network provides Fibre Optic to the MDF in my apartment complex, then we have hardwired LAN cable from the MDF to each apartment where there is an NBN receiver

I don't know what MDF is or what that "NBN receiver" might be.

That's the whole point of the questions that @plemans asked at the outset.

The reason for asking what may seem like pointless questions is to see if there are two routers on there. That can be the cause of the Double NAT problem that @plemans highlights.

As they say, that could cause the symptoms you see.

Message 11 of 12
Broulee
Aspirant

I don't know where the AC2350 came from, I don't have one.  Only one Netgear WiFi Router, says model is AX3000 (RAX 4) on the box.  MDF, I thought you would have known, sorry, is the apartment complex Main Distribution Frame.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7