× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 Drops internet and has to be rebooted almost daily

talmai
Aspirant

RAX40 Drops internet and has to be rebooted almost daily

My RAX 40 started to drop internet connection almost everyday for the past two weeks. Need to reboot and the internet is back. 

Firmware V1.0.3.80 App version 2.6.0.13 I checked and there's no new firmware. 

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18
Navneetnarwariy
Initiate

I have got the same issue where WiFi has been unstable after 2.6.0.13 firmware upgrade. Netgear has been asking for some troubleshooting at a cost though it is under hardware warranty. Does any one have any suggestions?
Message 2 of 18

It might help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

You can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

Message 3 of 18
Navneetnarwariy
Initiate

Modem model - Arris Surfboard SB6141
Both Modem and Router are separate and here issue is with Netgear router which started appearing after firmware update to version 2.6.0.13
As all lights are ON “green” and hard wire connection works hence issue seems to be due to firmware update impacting some configuration.
Message 4 of 18

Let's deal with the question from @talmai, who started this conversation.

If you want to start your own messge, feel free.

The community rules don't like "hijacking".

NETGEAR Community Terms Of Service | Answer | NETGEAR Support

• Behave with civility and mutual respect. Flaming or name calling will not be tolerated. Similarly, any message containing the following will be removed at the discretion of either a Community moderator or administrator:
    • Off-Topic posting
    • Thread hi-jacking

Message 5 of 18
talmai
Aspirant

The modum is a arris tm1602. Hardwired to the Nighthawk. If I unplug the Nigthawk and plug direstly into a computer the internet is there. So this is a Router issue only. Thanks.

Message 6 of 18

@talmai wrote:

The modum is a arris tm1602. Hardwired to the Nighthawk. If I unplug the Nigthawk and plug direstly into a computer the internet is there. So this is a Router issue only. Thanks.

Yes. Modem only.

@talmai wrote:

So this is a Router issue only.

That does not automatically follow. Even modems and routers can have subtle interactions that can cause issues.

Have you ever tried a factory reset in the router after firmware updates?

You could also see if an older firmware helps.

We still don't know much about the symptoms you see.

"Drops internet" could mean anything. Wifi goes off. Wired links die.

What do the LEDs do when this happens?

Message 7 of 18
jaf2020
Aspirant

I have the same issue. It started last week when I finally updated the firmware (I had not updated firmware since last year). The router has all lights on and at least 2x per day now requires a full reset. It appears the WiFi driver is corrupted. All WiFi devices lose connection despite the router not showing any change in signal. I have not updated my modem or anything else, and the router worked just fine. 

Search the current firmware and you will see numerous similar results. 

Message 8 of 18
LACoop
Aspirant

I battled this issue for a month with this router. I had to reboot nearly every day; some days 3-5 times.  I tried everything that tech support suggested with about 10 hours on the phone through multiple calls.   have a Sonos system and Google Nest and some of these only work on 2G and have some incompatible routers, but the RAX40 was not listed as one of them.  I tested a Linksys Velop router with 3 units, so I could check if maybe it was related to the Spectrum cable signal or the modem.  I have not lost the internet once in over a week with the Velop system and running all the same devices.  The RAX40 is being returned; for whatever reason it didn't work for me.

Message 9 of 18
itsmehuey
Luminary

it's an issue that has plagued pretty much all RAX40 owners are Netgear continue to turn a blind eye..

they just released a firmware which supposedly fixes the instability, but also, removed advertised functionality such as WPA, AX-OFDMA, Smart Connect.. they're pretty much just scamming us all.

Message 10 of 18
NetLimbo
Aspirant

Unbelievable - I have the same problem, and here I was thinking that it is unique to my situation. I have the Netgear CM100 modem and the RAX40. My Wireless connection drops almost every day. I called Netgear and they said that I was outside of the 90 day support period and I have to pay for support. I saw the downloads page for the RAX40 and it lists V1.0.3.88 as the latest version, but without OFDMA, WPA3, SmartConnect, and that I should roll back to V1.0.3.80 if I needed those features. I paid a premium for these features - why should I have to scale back? And, the Downloads page does not have the V1.0.3.80 version. How do I roll back if I have a problem with V1.0.3.88? Why is Netgear becoming such low quality product and poor support? I have had Netgear products for 20 years now. This is very disappointing.

I have no option but to use the V1.0.3.88 version - my household is screaming at me for dropped connections. But I need to get V1.0.3.80 first so I can roll back if I have a problem. Where do I find version V1.0.3.80? Can someone tell me please?

Message 11 of 18

@NetLimbo wrote:

And, the Downloads page does not have the V1.0.3.80 version. How do I roll back if I have a problem with V1.0.3.88?

Old versions stay in the library unless they have a serious problem. Then Netgear removes that version completely.

If that happens your only option is to go back to an earlier version.

Message 12 of 18
NetLimbo
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. I was truly hoping that would not be the answer. So, my choice is to take the risk on V1.00.3.88 or fall back to the one older than V1.00.3.80, which is V1.00.3.64. I have not seen much feedback on the 1.00.3.88 on this model.

Message 13 of 18
itsmehuey
Luminary

@NetLimbo wrote:

Thanks for the response. I was truly hoping that would not be the answer. So, my choice is to take the risk on V1.00.3.88 or fall back to the one older than V1.00.3.80, which is V1.00.3.64. I have not seen much feedback on the 1.00.3.88 on this model.

The only feedback I have is that it works without any dropouts so far but sacrificing some features like WPA3 which is an absolute joke as the router was advertised with WPA3 compatability..

Message 14 of 18
Chana88
Apprentice

Best thing you guys can do is bin the RAX40 and get another make like I have done I have no drop outs at all got all the features that they have disabled WiFi is much better and all devices connect correctly. At least they can do Is give us version 2 of this model free of charge as version 1 is not fit for purpose. I know it's not the best solution but netgear have gone down in my opinion and support is next to none, won't buy any netgear product again.

Message 15 of 18
RDA1074
Aspirant

This problem is STILL persisting.

You know I am not seeing any manufacturer effort to correct this problem.

@LinusTechTips

@UnboxTherapy

I'm going to start hitting Linus and Lew on their channels until they talk about it.

NETGEAR - are you awake yet?

FIX THE ISSUE.  It's ridiculous that it has been like this for so long...

Message 16 of 18
Chana88
Apprentice

Go for it 

I use mine as a door stop 

Message 17 of 18
Chana88
Apprentice

I see they have updated the firmware for v2 of this model

Message 18 of 18