× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 Firmware 1.0.3.80 Crash/Bug Log

Maxgur
Guide

Today I read an article that the model of the RAX40 router has serious security problems. I hope the developers in the next firmware will take into account all the comments on the work of RAX40

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 51 of 390
carminea
Star

Good info for netgear but I doubt they really care. They will just roll out a newer router and forget the ones who purchased the older routers, less support and obviously not fixing the issue after 1 month now. Even within the last few weeks netgear has 79 routers with security flaws. I am just going buying different brand for now on. Email support they can careless. The answer you get is roll it back. Meanwhile we are open to security vulnerabilities and we can't update.
Message 52 of 390
christer12
Star

For me is RAX40 really unstable. It connect and disconnect all time with LAN, 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz on Firmware 1.0.3.80.

And I have noticed behavior of 5Ghz. I choose a wifi channel, but the router always go back to channel 36 even if this is the worst channel. I belive it crash, becuse I can see channel numbers av changed in Wireless Settings (5GHz)

Before crashBefore crash

After some daysAfter some days

Message 53 of 390
Maxgur
Guide

When will the firmware update come out with the removal of comments?

Message 54 of 390
benoit_fr
Apprentice

FYI, like a lot of us, I had serious stability problems.

No issues for 2 days and then wifi breaks for all the home devices. Ethernet was stable.

It happened 3 times in the week.

Checked and modified my Wifi settings stable for a couple of weeks :

Disabling Smart Connect and having the same SSID for 2.4 and 5ghz 

Disabling Mix mode WPA2/WPA3 and using only WPA2 AES

Just FYI.

Hope we will have soon a good firmware....

Message 55 of 390
kvik369
Guide

So is your router still stable or has the issues resurfaced?

Message 56 of 390
Maxgur
Guide

The problems remain. At a frequency of 5 GHz, the channel is reset to 36. Sometimes, communication with devices connected at a frequency of 5 GHz disappears. I can not connect to the hard drive that is connected to the router. I hope that they will fix the problems in the new firmware ...

Message 57 of 390
Indrajit
Guide

My router shut down completely and doesn’t communicate with PC or Netgear app at all, no internet connection at all, it’s totally dead. I tried everything possible can, not responding to anything. Disappointed very much. Got this router in December 2019, Netgear will not do anything unless I purchase their service.
Message 58 of 390
kvik369
Guide

Just curious  - I actualy have a RAX35 with the same issue    I'm powering the router off and on in the AM with a hardware timer.  Usually this keeps it fine the whole day but sometimes I still lose internet and have to power cycle the router again  Thanks for the update

Message 59 of 390
UpsetCustomer98
Initiate

This is so incredibly frustrating.  With everyone trying to work from home and Netgear bricks our routers.  I am having all the same issues described here. I will try to put back the older firmware and hope that helps.  This is absolutely rediculous.

Message 60 of 390
benoit_fr
Apprentice

So far so good. No more reboots / problems.
Message 61 of 390
kvik369
Guide

I can roll back to previous version but that has its own issues minly with access control

Message 62 of 390
carminea
Star

Conclusion to all this. Stay away from netgear. Plenty of other brands out there rated high
Message 63 of 390
ncdancer
Guide

This is frustrating,

I have been trying to get RAX 40 firmware .80 to be stable for several weeks and today I downgraded to .64, hoping for the best.

1.  I have re-started router numerous times, on the worst days at least three restarts.
  2. Set router back to factory setting twice.
  3. Disconnected devices one by one.
  4. Spent hours on the phone with AppleCare tech support.
  5. Running Apple wireless diagnostic tool in the background generated many logs sent to Apple. Apple says the problem is in the router.

I am hoping for a fix soon.

Message 64 of 390
ncdancer
Guide

The router has been stable for over 24 hours after the rollback to FM .64. Wondering if Netgear has ackkowledged the problem because the Nighthawk app and the webapp are still offering to update (or break) the router, see screenshot.

Message 65 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I turned off the auto update function from the router configuration, just got to live with this for a while.

Message 66 of 390
Dhinla
Guide

I have it working, although I can't tell anyone that it was either pleasant or easy.  I have RAX40 in AP mode.

I rolled it back and it worked.

I rolled it forward and it stopped working - again.

I did a factory reset.

I rolled it back.

I did another factory reset.

I rolled it forward.

It started working on the latest firmware.

I think that's a lot of effort for this router - it's incredibly frustrating and disappointing.  I think Netgear should pull the new firmware until it gets it right.  And Netgear should offer free support to anyone with a RAX40 who is out of time in terms of warranty.

Message 67 of 390
BuckeyeRay
Tutor

So just updated the firmware and now cannot connect to the router with the app or via a browser. My 2.4 network is showing but nothing can connect to it using the correct passcode. I have no idea how to "roll back" the firmaware, especially when I cannot connect to the modem at all. Why in the world would you allow this piece of crap out into the world completely untested?

Message 68 of 390
BuckeyeRay
Tutor

Forgot to mention that after the update I got the red flashing "firmware corrupt" error that appeared to have resolved itself after a restart. 

Message 69 of 390

Same for me.
Message 70 of 390
Indrajit
Guide

I wish the same, they should offer free support to clean up the mess created by them.
Message 71 of 390
Indrajit
Guide

I followed the directions to factory reset several times, that didn’t help. My router is dead, doesn’t communicate with anything.
Message 72 of 390

I’m going with a surfboard ax 11000. Hope it works nice
Message 73 of 390
BuckeyeRay
Tutor

Did you plug in directly? Once I did the factory reset I was able to get in using default logins and a direct ethernet connection. I rolled back the firmware and everything is fine again. I also turned off auto-updates.

Message 74 of 390
benoit_fr
Apprentice

Hello all,

Here is a quick update following multiple failures right after the latest FW update.

- I disabled Smart Connect. I am using (like with previous FW, the same SSIDs for 2.4 and 5ghz)

- I disabled Mix mode WPA2/WPA3 and using only WPA2 AES

3 weeks without any issues.

Hope this help. I stick with the latest FW without any new FW "benefits"...

Best

Message 75 of 390
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7