× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 Firmware 1.0.3.80 Crash/Bug Log

itsmehuey
Luminary

Yeah as previously mentioned that’s the same as what I have so I doubt the hardware is the fault
Message 126 of 390
christer12
Star

I belive it is the firmware. Keep in mind that this router is Intel first router ever made. 

Message 127 of 390
sreenuraj
Tutor

Even I beleived it is firmware issue, but with my previous router with firmware 1.0.3.80 I had to restart twice everyday because of the issues, and with the replaced router, with the same firmware till today (got it on 9th Sep) I have not restarted once.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 128 of 390
benoit_fr
Apprentice

Hi all. Currently using a beta firmware following a discussion with the support yesterday. So far so good, 24 devices connected, smart connect and wpa2/wpa3 mode. Router hw version v1.05. Will let you know in a week or 2. 

Message 129 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

@benoit_fr how did you get the firmware? Is this available for public testing?
Message 130 of 390
Eagle-Two
Apprentice

@benoit_fr 

Can you please test AX, 5Ghz, and high wireless traffic (i.e. speed test or video conference) with the new firmware? I seem to have more disconnects and router lockups using these areas.

Message 131 of 390
benoit_fr
Apprentice

@itsmehuey wrote:
@benoit_frhow did you get the firmware? Is this available for public testing?

I wrote a email to the support, got a case # and called them afterwards. Then, following a discussion, the tech guy offers me to try a beta FW. Quite smooth.

Message 132 of 390
benoit_fr
Apprentice

No Ax devices yet but today 2 smart TVs with 4K, 1 pc with Fortinite running and 6 sonos speakers with music all day.... no issues.

Message 133 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

"No Ax devices yet but today 2 smart TVs with 4K, 1 pc with Fortinite running and 6 sonos speakers with music all day.... no issues."

Could you please try SmartConnect and WPA2+3 together? This is what I tried with the beta and it was unstable.

Also is there a newer hardware version than R1.05?

Message 134 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

@benoit_fr thank you. Would you be able to share it please? I cannot be bothered dealing with the poor support team. I tried contacting them and they’ve been less than helpful.
Message 135 of 390
ST13P
Initiate

I have the RAX40. It also started crashing daily and not allowing wifi connection or login. A restart usually set things going again but I've need to do that daily. During last week it was not loading pages correctly even after logging in after restart and required a factory reset. I've got about 30-40 devices connected.

After finding this thread today i've downgraded the Firmware to see how that goes. Thanks in advance if it does.

Also interested to know what develops with this firmware/model upgrades.

Message 136 of 390
jaf2020
Aspirant

I went through the process of obtaining a replacement router from Netgear. it has been up and running since Wednesday and still crashing. All the firmware is updated, etc. so it is NOT a hardware issue. This is clearly a firmware issue. 

Very very disappointed in Netgear. 

Message 137 of 390
NerdGear
Tutor

Does anyone have a router hw version higher then v1.05? The replaced one especially?

(if v1.06 solves the problem then those users are not on this forum except if yours was replaced ;-))

Message 138 of 390
benoit_fr
Apprentice

Hi, yes, I am using wpa2/wpa3 smartconnect.
No idea if there a hw sup than 1.05.
Message 139 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

There is no newer hardware. There’s only 1.05 latest.

Can anyone please share the beta firmware?
Message 140 of 390
benoit_fr
Apprentice

Hi all, 

Just for you to know. I had to do 2 power cycles in 2 days with the beta FW.

Will roll back to the .0.64 version.

Hope Netgear will find out quickly a solution....

Message 141 of 390
ronald_fr
Luminary

Hi,

My RAX40 has been exchanged last 2nd trim and Hardware Version is R1.05

It's using beta f irmware : Firmware Version V1.0.3.83_1.0.2 running fine; I don't use smart-connect as I don't wnat to reconfigure devices...

Unable to share the f/w as it's given with restrictions... I obtain it after escalation to the support.

Best regards

R

Message 142 of 390
NerdGear
Tutor

@itsmehuey wrote:
There is no newer hardware. There’s only 1.05 latest.

Can anyone please share the beta firmware?

then I am surprised to read that replacement fixed the issue for some

Message 143 of 390
benoit_fr
Apprentice

It's not possible to share the Beta FW since each beta tester signed an agreement. contact the support, they should send you the FW after discussion and agreement process ! 

Message 144 of 390
benoit_fr
Apprentice

@ronald_fr wrote:

Hi,

My RAX40 has been exchanged last 2nd trim and Hardware Version is R1.05

It's using beta f irmware : Firmware Version V1.0.3.83_1.0.2 running fine; I don't use smart-connect as I don't wnat to reconfigure devices...

Unable to share the f/w as it's given with restrictions... I obtain it after escalation to the support.

Best regards

R

>> sorry, don't understand what do you mean by reconfiguring the devices ? If you are using the mixed mode (WPA2/WPA3) it (should) work without new conf on the device side

Message 145 of 390
jaf2020
Aspirant

Update here. To recap, I did the router exchange and received the refurbished router last Wednesday. The refurbished router also drops the signal 1-2x per day requiring a full restart. It's running the 1.0.3.80 firmware. I have since swapped it out to an older router I had in storage and will not be purchasing a netgear product in the near term. 

Message 146 of 390
ronald_fr
Luminary

Hello

about : >> sorry, don't understand what do you mean by reconfiguring the devices ? If you are using the mixed mode (WPA2/WPA3) it (should) work without new conf on the device side

I try to better explain: as before f/w 80  there wasn't smartconnect available, so 2.4 & 5 GHz Wifi didn't have same SSID.

As I have devices using 2.4 and others 5 GHz I don't want to change SSID on the 5 GHz ones with the RAX40 having to choose the right one...

I use the mixed mode (WPA2/WPA3) w/o any issue.

Best regards

R

Message 147 of 390

Yeah.  Just strip away all the features that you wanted and paid for so it is reduced to a $50 router and THEN it works!  I think we've been had. 

Message 148 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

Why isn’t anyone from Netgear coming into the community forums and providing any kind of transparency or update to the issue at hand? It’s such poor customer support.
Message 149 of 390
carminea
Star

Netgear does not read this.
Need to make complaints elsewhere, like social media, computer websites, email to computer magazines, BBB, etc. Get some attention. This is a just a page for all of us to share info.
Message 150 of 390
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7